Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
oh man. ive been dreading this for a while. incase you didn't know, i bought this 86 runner with a cracked head (22re). the head had been pulled, and the po had left everything in a box.:shaking: i don't really have a clue what order to do things in, so this is going to be a long thread with what i'm sure will be many pictures and a billion questions.

i've got a new head ready to go on.
be patient with me, i'm inexperienced (but you can call me an idiot).

WHAT I'VE DONE SO FAR
1. new front main seal
2. speedi sleeve
3. new timing chain cover
4. new timing chain assembly with steel rail
5. all seals and gaskets are new (excluding rear main)

ok, someone tell me i'm wrong. when i turned the crank to what i thought was TDC i found pistons 2&3 at the top, and 1&4 at the bottom. I must be on BDC?

QUESTION #1
should i install the head bare, or with the intake manifold attached?
(remember, every single part was in a box, and i have no idea how most of it all goes together. all bolts had been tossed into a one gallon bucket, so i have to do some sorting).

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
When I dropped my motor in, I had the intake and plenum installed. Since you've got it out the way, I'd replace the fuel filter too. Anway, yes - install the intake onto the head along with the water tube that bolts to the underside of the intake. Otherwise, it's a mother fucker to get to.
For that, you're going to need a rubber o-ring. I got mine out of a harbor freight o-ring kit. Don't hog down on those two little bolts; they'll either break off in the intake or strip the threads out of the intake.

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
1&4 will be at top. I would install the head to the motor and torque it before the intake goes on. it will be easier to make sure you don't damage the gasket. and it is easier to install the intak if the head is on the motor. works like a stand for the head :p

·
Registered
999 Posts
i just pulled mine this week, getting shaved tomorrow..

there are

x10, 6 3/4''* long bolts that attach the head to the block, goes throught the head and through the rocker arm assembly, 19mm heads

x3, 12mm heads, nuts that go on the studs on the intake side of the head

x9, 12mm heads, bolts that attach the intake to head

i agree with NOODLES, make sure you got someone with small hands to get some bolts in..

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright, i'll get the water tube on the intake, install the head, then install the intake to the head.

thanks guys. it's dark now, so it is going to be tomrrow. hopefully more questions tomorrow.

·
Registered
949 Posts
rusmannx said:
alright, i'll get the water tube on the intake, install the head, then install the intake to the head.

thanks guys. it's dark now, so it is going to be tomrrow. hopefully more questions tomorrow.
Take a look at the clearance between the head and block where that water tube runs. I had to have the tube in position when I installed the head cause once the head was torqued down I couldn't snake the tube in where it was supposed to be.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Make absolutely sure the threaded head bolt holes in the block are clean and there is no oil, antifreeze, carb cleaner, etc. sitting in the bottom of them.

I learned that one the hard way.:(

·
Banned
4,587 Posts
Toy Story said:
Make absolutely sure the threaded head bolt holes in the block are clean and there is no oil, antifreeze, carb cleaner, etc. sitting in the bottom of them.

I learned that one the hard way.:(
X2
Carb cleaner is your friend along with compressed air. Follow up with Q-Tips for that extra special clean feeling :D
Danny

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Lowtorious said:
When I dropped my motor in, I had the intake and plenum installed. Since you've got it out the way, I'd replace the fuel filter too. Anway, yes - install the intake onto the head along with the water tube that bolts to the underside of the intake. Otherwise, it's a mother fucker to get to.
For that, you're going to need a rubber o-ring. I got mine out of a harbor freight o-ring kit. Don't hog down on those two little bolts; they'll either break off in the intake or strip the threads out of the intake.
I am the proud owner of a bypassed heater core due to those bolts. oh well at least i have a/c ....

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
another question

does the intake manifold get silicone between it and the head? what about on the other end?

AND

There are 3 studs that should be on the intake side of the head. does it matter where these 3 studs go (amongst the 10 bolts) or should i just space them out?

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
rusmannx said:
does the intake manifold get silicone between it and the head? what about on the other end?

NO... silicone not needed on the intake gasket. It should have a factory bead (red) of sealant/ silicone. You really don't need more than that.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
flecker said:
NO... silicone not needed on the intake gasket. It should have a factory bead (red) of sealant/ silicone. You really don't need more than that.
i got mine from engnbldr, it doesn't have that bead (though i know what your talking about).

i'll just install it dry.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well i've got the head on and the bolts barely snug for now. i had SO much gasket to take off of misc items. the bolt holes for the head bolts were full of crap, and two of them were full of old grease. it took me over an hour, 100 qtips, and a can of carb cleaner to get everything the way i liked it.

mor tomorrow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts