Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched but haven't found what i'm looking for. Pluses and minuses of both I'm looking at either 42" Swampers or 39.5 Boggers or 14.5R20 XL's. I know the XL's are really stiff but what about traction when compared to the others. I run up in the Northwest and get a lot of everything. Mostly I like rocks and a little mud but not mud boggs. It's going on a 78' Bronco with a 60 front and Sterling Rear. As little lift as possible and I don't care about cutting up the fenders. Any thoughts would be great.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I would suggest the XL's.
a little more $ up front, but they will last much longer. The carcass puts a bogger to shame, the rubber is slightly harder, and they have much more overall useable depth.

If you don't like the XL tread pattern, buy a bald set and groove them. You've got 20/32's, at least, of grooveable rubber.

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
Why a bogger? Why not a TSL? The boggers don't do extremely well on the rocks...so i say go w/ a TSL. Now if you want to be cool with the mall wheelers boggers are the ticket. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Darren, don't you know that Boggers are BAD on rocks on pirate4x4. It doesn't matter what you real world experience says. :rolleyes:

At least DSI dislikes them becuase hes run them. A lot of people round here say boggers are bad on rock, and have never owned boggers. :)

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
TNToy said:
Darren, don't you know that Boggers are BAD on rocks on pirate4x4. It doesn't matter what you real world experience says. :rolleyes:

At least DSI dislikes them becuase hes run them. A lot of people round here say boggers are bad on rock, and have never owned boggers. :)
I've had a few sets, and they really do work great, weather you want to belive it or not;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
636 Posts
i would go whith the TSLs though they wear well (yes they do my buddy has almost 40k out of a set of em on a k-5) and they will get you where you need to go whith enough finnes.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would prefer the XL's but what about how stiff they are? I've read and seen some bad pics of grooving the sidewall to help them a little but what would be the best way to get flex out of them? I haven't weigh the Bronco but with 1 Ton's I think it weighs around 7000# or so.

·
Registered
48 Posts
aren't those 14.5R20 XL's 44" tall. A little bigger than the others you are looking at. I have the 12.5R20 MPT XL's (40" tall)on my truck(currently weighs 6500lb). I haven't had them offroad yet but they flex pretty good when I let the air out of them ;). The MPT version is a slightly lighter version (12 ply vs 16 ply), but they are the ones the military uses, so good luck getting them right now.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SX's are just to small.:flipoff2: The 14.5R20's are just under 44". But I need to stay under 44" due to Garage clearnce. That and I like the way they look more then the swampers. To many Posers on swampers:flipoff2: . Still trying to get the Traction part answered before I really make up my mind.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have a set of the 12.5 R20s and the 14.0 R20s, so I would guess that the 14.5 are right between them. Both are really light for their size and seem to be fairly soft. Besided that like everyone has said they can be grooved over and over and they are RADIALS. In addition you can get double beadlockd for them for 225 with any back spacing that you desire. (and since you can get the tire for less than 200 a piece from a surplus guy they end up being quite a bit cheaper than a set of swampers with single beadlocks) If you still think they are too hard I have heard of people running them through softer like drag racers do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts