Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Everyday is Tuesday.
46,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Marlin Camp 9 carbine.

Needs a new stock, was closed in a safe door. fully functional, just a big ding.

Question is do I leave it as is (probably), get a factory stock, or maybe some aftermarket fun...

Attachments

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
I'd say pull the action out of that stock to see what (if anything) of the action is exposed, and if nothing, whittle that little area out and leave it as is. If that winds up looking like crap, I'd say go with a composite original style stock, but definitely not one of the above, and most certainly not that POS bullpup clamshell.

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
Seeming as Marlin usually sprays a thin stain onto their stocks, I'd secure that split with some marine epoxy and fill in the hole with some wood flour. Strip it and stain it back.

Or try to snag a NOS stock off Ebay or Gunbroker. IIRC, I think those Camp carbines take S&W 9mm mags.

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
This thread reminds me that I always wanted a Ruger Deerfield 44 Auto carbine.

·
Everyday is Tuesday.
46,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that's the .44mag that's otherwise like a 10/22, right?

those look fun too.

but for $350, I couldn't pass on this one.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
I would epoxy the crack, then embed a some sort of cool looking coin (national park quarter ??)into the main damage area since it won't effect function.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I don't know about the 9mm, but the .45acp factory stocks develop cracks behind the recievers, so you may be better off dumping that stock all together, or throwing some extra epoxy in that area to prevent future issues.

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
$350? with the fubar stock? no way....

you shoulda lowballed him or asked him to get you a spare stock for that much...I see those quite often at gunshows for around $275-300 in really clean condition...

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
$350? with the fubar stock? no way....

you shoulda lowballed him or asked him to get you a spare stock for that much...I see those quite often at gunshows for around $275-300 in really clean condition...
Prices on the nines seem to be lower anyways, but $350 even damaged is low(especially in my area, if you can find them at all). I picked up 2 camp 45s for $500 each last year, and now, IF I can find them, they are $700+...

Stocks on the camp 45 crack due to using the same too lite recoil spring for both rifles. Common, and highly recommended upgrades for both guns is to order up a blackjack buffer, and wolf springs for them (both calibers). Definitely do the buffer, as the factory ones get brittle with age, and fail. I upgraded both my camps (springs and buffers), and good to go. Very easy mods. The receiver will accept rails for sight mounts used on the 336 lever gun.

One thing, Mo, when cleaning, DO NOT use brake clean or similar aggressive solvents on the trigger group. It is plastic based, and will be damaged by the solvents. I really like my camps. lots of fun to shoot, and the 45 uses the same mags as my 1911. the 9mm takes S&W 59 magazines, as I recall.

If it was mine, I'd inspect for cracks in the stock near the rear of the receiver, fix any if found and the damage to the stock as shown with epoxy and filler of choice as mentioned, stain to please, and shoot it! but that is just me. Love these guns for fun pistol caliber carbines. :D

EDIT:

I think Midway just released a new polymer replacement stock for them as well. not sure if it is one of them shown above or not though.

·
Everyday is Tuesday.
46,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
like Chumly stated, it's low for around here. I haven't seen one for near $300 in several years.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
There was a really clean camp 9 at a gun shop in my area for $325........I almost bought it just to sell. I picked up a really nice camp 45 for $120 about a year and a half ago! :smokin:

·
Registered
502 Posts
i picked up a camp-9 this summer for $100. its a good shotting little gun. it made me like the idea enough to go spend real money on a PC-40

1 - 19 of 19 Posts