Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am converting my j10 to a j20 for towing. Anyone have advise on a good shock to run? This is a stock truck with no lift. I just need shocks that will be good for towing. Also, I need new bushings for the J20 leaves. Where would be the best place to find them?

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
try bilstiens 5100 or 5150's, any good quality shock would work. Adjustables might be what your looking for too. But J20 ride alright from the factory. If you want better load handleing, fab up overloads or put airbags on it to handle more weight. If you want the best flex and load handleing, inboard the springs under the frame, you will pick up some height, but ride with stay the same.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Im thinking more along the lines of something that I can pick up at say NAPA ... and yes I plan on running rear bags... and no, I care nothing about flex on my tow rig...

·
Registered
127 Posts
as stated above, any decent shock will work fine. depending on budget and ride quality, a bilstein will be just fine, but for fine tuning a fox or sway away would be more suited to dial in what you want. More bleed in a shock would soften/help with the small bumps seen on most highways.

Also, good anti sway bars would help with heavy loads and feeling more stable.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I like to use adjustables like Rancho 9000s on most my trucks.
Dial them down when there is no load and they are some what comfy. dial them up when you are hauling and they are very stable.
Find them used if you are on a budget.
The rancho site has a fitment chart for you to work with

1 - 5 of 5 Posts