Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holy shit,

My buddy and I were riding Braille at the Demo Forest today and I did the biggest head over bars fall of my life. Tried leaping off this new 4 foot stump with a ramp in the front of it and for some reason when I cranked to launch my whole front end dove like a submarine and I ate SHIT! My buddy was watching and we both heard all of my 26 vertabrae crunch as I hit the ground head first. Cracked my helmet in half.

My buddy couldn't believe I was still conscious and got back on the bike. I was on my back for a good 5 minutes before I got back up. He raced Pro downhill for Santa Cruz for several years and said it was one of the worst head overs he has ever seen.

Many thanks go out to Giro, for if it was not for that goddamn helmet I might be in the hospital right now!

I am gonna be SORE in the morning!!!!!

:D

I learned my lesson, never try leaping off tall shit if you have been off the mountain bike for a few months. It takes a few rides to get your skillz back under you. It was rather dumb looking back at it...I should have just chilled out instead of trying that ramp. Too much reading in Bike mag about those North Shore BC guys! I am not one of them.

Kurt G.

·
Registered
271 Posts
hehe ya i kinda ate it today at skeggs riding off a little cliff on the side of the trail. landed kinda sideways and slid out but i was able to bail. man we rode this one trail like blue bonnet i think not sure holy fuck it was fun. super super fun.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Wow, that sounds pretty gnarly. I hope your neck is going to be ok too.

Slug and two of my other friends headed out to Pacifica yesterday. Everybody wiped out (exception of me slipping into some bushes while hiking up :rolleyes:).. must be some tradition this week? :flipoff2:

·
Registered
759 Posts
well at least your still in one piece. Yeah I am hurting today. I fell about 5 feet straight down to my death on some jagged rocks at pacifica. I broke the fall with my palm and my left leg. In addition to looping out on a step up and landing straight on my ass at aptos on thursday I have a bit of a pimp limp and a bruised hand.:flipoff2: Oh yeah and to top ot all off, yesterday right before we got to the car my front end washed out and I ran straight into a tree.
oh well, the only thing that kept me off my bike today was a hangover and the fact that I busted my der. hanger so my bike isn't up and running at the moment. I really need to give that thing a break from all the abuse..........50 bucks for a new der. hanger doesn't sound good. maybe I can accumulate enough cash to get the p.1 I want.:)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Well fortunately I rode today with no injury. Nice lil dh run at briones. Gotta get the body in shape for summer. Weights just aren't cutting it.

-IAn

·
Does yer dewg bite?
5,664 Posts
Genshie said:
Holy shit,

My buddy and I were riding Braille at the Demo Forest today and I did the biggest head over bars fall of my life. Tried leaping off this new 4 foot stump with a ramp in the front of it and for some reason when I cranked to launch my whole front end dove like a submarine and I ate SHIT! My buddy was watching and we both heard all of my 26 vertabrae crunch as I hit the ground head first. Cracked my helmet in half.

My buddy couldn't believe I was still conscious and got back on the bike. I was on my back for a good 5 minutes before I got back up. He raced Pro downhill for Santa Cruz for several years and said it was one of the worst head overs he has ever seen.

Many thanks go out to Giro, for if it was not for that goddamn helmet I might be in the hospital right now!

I am gonna be SORE in the morning!!!!!

:D

I learned my lesson, never try leaping off tall shit if you have been off the mountain bike for a few months. It takes a few rides to get your skillz back under you. It was rather dumb looking back at it...I should have just chilled out instead of trying that ramp. Too much reading in Bike mag about those North Shore BC guys! I am not one of them.

Kurt G.
ha ha ha That's what you get for not inviting me :flipoff2: I'm about 25 min. from Demo.
I know the log yor talking about. Look at it every time we ride but always say next ime :)

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
vova said:

I know the log yor talking about. Look at it every time we ride but always say next ime :)

:rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow:

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
There are some big drops on that trail, that I have ridden past. ;)

I've tried a few, but I broke my collar bone just as you described.

Take some advil. It will keep you loose.

·
Does yer dewg bite?
5,664 Posts
Leonel said:

:rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow:
BIG girl, you won't even ride that trail. How about next Sunday? Bring your Castro friends :rainbow: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
vova said:

BIG girl, you won't even ride that trail. How about next Sunday? Bring your Castro friends :rainbow: :flipoff2:
You know the area ,don't you :flipoff2: :flipoff2:
I'm doing a 100 miles road ride instead;)

·
Registered
432 Posts
slug said:
I am down to ride the demo next sunday. What time?
I may be down too, but it's gotta be early in the morning.

Damn slug, I gotta do somethin about this stripped bolt in the brake arch :(

·
Does yer dewg bite?
5,664 Posts
Leonel said:

You know the area ,don't you :flipoff2: :flipoff2:
I'm doing a 100 miles road ride instead;)
That 100 mile excuse is getting old. Come do a couple of fun miles at Demo :flipoff2:

·
Does yer dewg bite?
5,664 Posts
slug said:
I am down to ride the demo next sunday. What time?
How about 8AM Sunday at the bridge?

·
Does yer dewg bite?
5,664 Posts
Sirachi said:

What bridge is this? Maybe I can meet one of you guys before you go up?
How about 7:40-ish right off 17 and Summit on the Left side? You can fallow me up...

·
Does yer dewg bite?
5,664 Posts
Guys, i'm out for Sunday :( I forgot the wife is on a business trip Wed- Sun, so I have my boy all weekend. I'm open next week for early AM ride. I could be at the trail at 6:30AM for a pre-work ride :D

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The log

Vova,

The log you are probably referring to is very visible, to the right, and is near the end of the trail. That one is actually pretty easy to jump off of (at least with full supsension). Although, I did do it one time on my old hardtail.

The log I am referring to is a new one that is not really visible from the standard trail. In order to get to it you have to do a trail offshoot. It is also higher up the trail than the other one I just mentioned. It looks easier than the one you are referring to, but has a tricky departure angle. Next time we go I will show you which one I am referring to.

Feeling better by the way :D

Leonel is :rainbow:

·
Registered
432 Posts
vova said:
Guys, i'm out for Sunday :( I forgot the wife is on a business trip Wed- Sun, so I have my boy all weekend. I'm open next week for early AM ride. I could be at the trail at 6:30AM for a pre-work ride :D
Damn.. sea otter is next week I think. You going to head up to that?

·
Does yer dewg bite?
5,664 Posts
Sirachi said:

Damn.. sea otter is next week I think. You going to head up to that?
Possible Sunday. If I don't get a ride in soon, I'll go on a ride instead :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts