Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a line on a brand new EB for my 05 dodge cummins but the guy says that the brake fits 03-05. According to Jacobs website the 4.5-05 trucks have their own part # and 03-04 have another. Does anyone know the difference if any and compatibility between the two??

Thanks

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
sounds like the guy you're buying it from doesn't know what he's talking about, jacobs isn't going to give it a different part number if they don't have to. Find out what the part number is and compare it to what you found on the jacobs site. If it's the wrong one will it more than likely work for you Yes but it may not be a bolt on thing. Hopefully someone else will be able to tell you that they changed this and confirm if it'll work or not.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kinda strange, he says he cant find the part #. I asked him what year he bought the kit for specificaly. He doesnt know what year my truck is so i expect an honest answer. I am going to start calling cummins and the dealership to find out what the deal is on this kit. Im not expecting much from the dealership but hopefully Cummins Northwest can help me out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Actually there could be a different part number. 03-05 could be for the stick shift. the other one could be for the autos. Because they have finally certified the '05 autos for an exhaust brake.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
hudsonhawk said:
Actually there could be a different part number. 03-05 could be for the stick shift. the other one could be for the autos. Because they have finally certified the '05 autos for an exhaust brake.
Well, we (05+ autos) have the hardware changes necissary for the ebrake. And will be certified once they complete the SW changes necissary for a PCM flash.

Accordiing to the long winded thread on TDR (haven't read it in a while mind you), they're currently working on the 06 PCM software. That's the priority. When that's complete, then they'll fit the 05 software upgrade into their pile-o-priorities. Who knows when they'll start.

But it is nice to now have an 05 auto and know that eventually I can get one - and have it warranty certified. :grinpimp:

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
SolidAxleDurango said:
Well, we (05+ autos) have the hardware changes necissary for the ebrake. And will be certified once they complete the SW changes necissary for a PCM flash.

Accordiing to the long winded thread on TDR (haven't read it in a while mind you), they're currently working on the 06 PCM software. That's the priority. When that's complete, then they'll fit the 05 software upgrade into their pile-o-priorities. Who knows when they'll start.

But it is nice to now have an 05 auto and know that eventually I can get one - and have it warranty certified. :grinpimp:
X2 as SAD said they don't have the software update for '05 Autos yet.

·
Vendor
1,342 Posts
The brake is different. The 03/04 trucks have a cast elbow (which the brake replaces)
that is 4" inlet and 3.5" outlet. The 04.5/05 trucks have a cast elbow that is 4" in and 4" out. I put the Pac Brake off of my 03 onto my 05 buy installing a 03/04 down pipe.

Scott

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wheatfield, thats exactly what i was looking for, i had just found something similar on cummins website saying they redisigned the brake for the 04.5 and up trucks to maximixe flow due to the bigger pipes. Did you notice a drop in performance by using the smaller downpipe?? and do you think a good exhaust shop could do the same thing with my stock pipe if the brake happens to be the earlier model?

·
Vendor
1,342 Posts
My down pipe is only 3.5" dia for a couple of inches then it steps back to 4" dia. You won't feel or get a preformace drop from the change. I would think that a good shop could do this. How I did it was by installing a MBRP 409 stainless 4" exhaust system for an 03/04 truck which gave me the correct down pipe for the old style brake.

Scott

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, the guy measured the I.D. of the brake and he says its just under 4 inches which is what i would expect for a 4" exhaust pipe. For a brand new brake kit at less than half of cummins price i cant beat it. Thanks for the help wheatfield.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts