Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I finally got my rear bumper finished. I made it out of 3x5 box tubing and it is sealed for my air tank. also put a 10,000lb 2" reciever on it along with two D-ring mounts made out of 1" cold rold steel welding in the front and all the way through the bumper and welded again on the back.

for attaching I used the 8 mounting points no the YJ which means to get the two inside the frame rale I have to drop the gas tank (that's ok I needed to replace a seal any way). well I got everthing back together and installed last night

for some reason I didn't check the air tank before I mounted it. I don't know why i guess I thought my welding was that good! any way I plumbed it up last night and found ONLY two leaks! that is pretty good considering all the places it could leak at. the good news is one was on the front and was a small pin hole leak. patched it.

the bad news is one is on the rear of the bumper where the d ring mount goes through the bumper. it's a pretty good sized one (means leaks alot). my options are to drop the tank remove the bumper and patch it.

MY QUESTION is: could I just put a bunch of JB weld on it and be done with it? it is in a place where I can't get the welding lead to it b/c it is to close to the rear cross member. would a bunch of JB weld work? would it hold 125PSI?

pics of rear bumper here:
http://seth.homeunix.com:8081/test/jeep/blackjeep/rear bumper/bmpr.html

sorry it is already dirty I jsut had to make it match the jeep

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
I doubt it. It is fairly brittle and probably wouldn't hold up to the flex of pressure changes.

I did use JB Weld to patch a hole in a battery - worked great!

Is there a way you can patch/smooth/fill with gas welder?

·
Cranky Moderator
7,366 Posts
You have nothing to lose by trying it. I bet it would hold if you used a combo of JB weld and something like fiberglass cloth impregnated with jb weld wraped around so the pressuer does not blow it out of the hole. Combined with the cloth it's very strong. I've used used Bounce dryer sheets for this before and it works. Just a thought ....

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I've tried JB weld on many different thing and it's never worked for me. I know alot of it is preperation but I just gave up on that stuff.

·
Registered
19,423 Posts
I've used it to patch a small hole in an exhaust connection, and it lasted for a little while, but I think the heat cycles just wore it out, and it cracked away... I can't see it holding up too long with the air pressure and vibration from off road use...
Interesting about the Bounce sheet :D

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I read here somewhere that some guys extend the lead of their wire feed welders with black tape to get to the tight spots when building cages. It might work for you.:D

·
Registered
19,423 Posts
Wolf and Lance,
Yeah, but for how long? :D

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I used it on bad (striped out) air fittings a couple of times and it seemed to work; but you said that it was whare your d-shackle mount ran through the tube and there will be alot of flex in that area.

It's worth a try, just make shure you get it clean, JB weld doesn't like to stick to paint or oil.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I patched two holes on my air tank which holds 105psi; it's held for over 5 years.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I used it to patch a hole in the side of my SM420......still holding strong for 5 years now.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
we used it on a damn Polaris transmission half that had busted into two pieces it held up for a long time (this on a 4x4 ATV that was jump and thrashed on, did it again when it started to leak a little and still going!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
We used it on my six-year-old's Axle for his Tonka Jeep and it lasted two days. Of course, those little boys are pretty hard on their stuff. Heck, so are you big boys! Nothing changes, you guys are always breaking your junk.

angiebaby

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Patched a pinhole leak in a radiator a year and a half ago(still there) and used some on my 22r head when I broke the piece of block that the very front 8mm head bolt threads into

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
Sealed a gouge where the rear seal presses in on my TF999. Cracked a plastic carburetor bowl on a Sunday - couldn't get parts, JB-Welded it together - that was 5 years ago and it's still going strong. Patched a hole in the gas tank with it - still holding. Used it to hold the timing adjust knob on my dually to the dash - broke right off. Go figure.

·
Registered
9,930 Posts
JB weld is all about technique. The best thing I've sealed w/ it was (3) 30" long seems on a scout gas tank where all the welds broke from an impact. If you clean the surface until it shines then acetone it then scratch the shit out of it you can apply the JB in 1/2 moom patterns like a normal weld and it'll deal w/ the flexing better. That tank was sealed 2 years ago and is still fine after plenty of impacts.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts