Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been 8 years since I've used my bender so this might be user error but I put it on a vertical stand and converted to air/hydraulic and can't seem to get a 45deg bend on aluminum tube, I'm using 1.25 od /.125 wall and have tried lube on follower and none all results in tube hanging up right about at 30deg and taring it

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Its been 8 years since I've used my bender so this might be user error but I put it on a vertical stand and converted to air/hydraulic and can't seem to get a 45deg bend on aluminum tube, I'm using 1.25 od /.125 wall and have tried lube on follower and none all results in tube hanging up right about at 30deg and taring it
thats strange where is it tearing? At the buckle that holds the tube or in the die?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thats strange where is it tearing? At the buckle that holds the tube or in the die?
right in the die on the long side of the tube, I can't post pix yet due to post count.

I tried a few pieces that I annealed too, Got a little further but still tore at about same radius (heated to 800deg then cooled it) this is 6061

JD says I need Delrin inserts, but haven't had a problem on 1/2" tube

·
Registered
230 Posts
right in the die on the long side of the tube, I can't post pix yet due to post count.

I tried a few pieces that I annealed too, Got a little further but still tore at about same radius (heated to 800deg then cooled it) this is 6061

A lot less force needed to bend 1/2". Try a dry film lubricant?

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
I notice a big difference when I forget to swap to the delrin and bend aluminum. It's usually 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 sch 40 so it doesn't tear, but it definitely hangs up a lot more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I notice a big difference when I forget to swap to the delrin and bend aluminum. It's usually 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 sch 40 so it doesn't tear, but it definitely hangs up a lot more.
Guessing I need to snag some Delrin ends.

Ya'd thing this thick it wouldn't need it...but I've got a nice pile of torn bends that says something isn't right :D

·
Registered
684 Posts
sounds like the TUBE is the issue, perhaps not happy bending? What is the material? Some Alloy's don't like to bend

·
Registered
194 Posts
6061 isn't meant to be bent, you can get away with it but it depends on the clr radius of the die and the degree of bend. in most cases, at the least, some minor tearing will happen and it defeats the pupose of 6061.

6063 is the alloy you should be using for bending.

yes delrin/acetal and proper lube help. but going to 6063 alloy will in most every case be a better, stronger bend, less prone to failure.

edit* i see your also in Wa, every aluminuim supplier i've dealt with in sizes under 2" carries it in both 6061 and 6063. call Alaska Co. they are the top tier in aluminum distribution and will ship even small quantity to nearly any location. except where i'm at, i'm one bridge to far for them...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a 3.5 clr die, I got a 180deg bend twice... has me thinking that maybe I got some non hardened stuff in my order... annealing should of softened it enough to bend but it didn't.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im over in kennewick Washington, unfortunately local suppliers have to order everything.

6061 isn't meant to be bent, you can get away with it but it depends on the clr radius of the die and the degree of bend. in most cases, at the least, some minor tearing will happen and it defeats the pupose of 6061.

yes delrin/acetal and proper lube help. but going to 6063 alloy will in most every case be a better, stronger bend, less prone to failure.

edit* i see your also in Wa, every aluminuim supplier i've dealt with in sizes under 2" carries it in both 6061 and 6063. call Alaska Co. they are the top tier in aluminum distribution and will ship even small quantity to nearly any location. except where i'm at, i'm one bridge to far for them...

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have a 3.5 clr die, I got a 180deg bend twice... has me thinking that maybe I got some non hardened stuff in my order... annealing should of softened it enough to bend but it didn't.
if you got 180 on a 3.5clr 1.25 od... it was not 6061. 6063 is still a heat treated alloy i believe but it takes bends very well.

3.5clr is pretty small for 1-1/4, even in steel. i know allot of people go with smaller clr for dies because they are a little cheaper, but the smaller the clr the more deformation and the weaker the bend. i think my 1-1/4 is 5.5 or 6.5 clr

Alaska Co. supplies the entire state, and most likely beyond. i know the Eastern Wa sales rep, he does millions in sales and he's based out of Spokane. although the big money is int the supply contracts for hewescraft and some of the other boat builders i believe.

kennewick...

not positive they cover there, but i would be interested to know if it comes out of oregon. i get most my sheet material from Oregon. but all (Aluminum) tube and shapes from Alaska Co. i would be pretty confident in saying your supplier is ordering from them, and marking up.

I was supposed to be at the Horn Rapids Moto Complex this weekend, but work... i haven't been yet, some buddies been sending back pics looks like a good time.

·
Get Off My Lawn
13,188 Posts
Try, wet sanding and polishing your follower. Then make sure the finish on your tube is also clean and without texture. Grease the flower with a quality moly grease.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
It's the alloy and you'll have to anneal the tube. It's not the bender.

Get a OA torch. Use Acetylene only to put soot all over the bend area. Then use torch normally to burn off the soot.

It will bend normally after that.

·
Registered
230 Posts

Derp: can't believe I missed this. Yeah, 6061 isn't really meant for bending...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts