Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that 1.5" .188 wall DOM is not to much for a JD2 mod 3 with a hydro ram is it? Cause mine broke today, the darn main lower arm that bolts to the base stretched and broke in the #2 hole.

Seemed like I got a twisting action at the pin which caused the die to rotate a bit at an angle but it only went so much and started bending until "POP" it broke. Before I remembered to take a pic I had already bent it back and welded it up.

Problem seems to be the two mounting bolts do not provide enough support to the ends of the arms and they move and in this case broke! Anybody built something to support them? Here are some pics of what broke, any suggestions?

I did manage to get a little bend in the tubing! :D :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
Would the hydro ram mounted in a double shear fashion have helped this? Seems like it would take a lot of force to get the swing arm movin with the ram mounted like you have it! Looks like it has been used quit a bit and worked up until now though! Here is what we are doing with our new Pro tools for what it is worth: http://community.webshots.com/user/millerman101

:beer: :beer: :beer:

·
Premium Member
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ram is in double shear, I just took the bottom plate off to get the thing apart. I just bored out the end of the ram so it would slide into the sleeve on the outer bolt. Same basic concept as yours millerman. Looks like I need to weld the upper and lower mounting base arms together so they cannot shift around.

This bender has only bent about 10 90 degree bends since it was purchased and this was done to 1.25" .095 tubing! So it is not worn out!

The ram is a Harbor freight Air over Hydraulic 22" stroke.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I don't know if my terminology is right but by saying double shear I mean that the hydrolic ram is mounted to the bender, not the table or mount. When the ram is closed it lays at a 90 degree angle to the bender and when fully open it would sit the way yours currently is. By pushing straight towards the swing arm the way yours is mounted it would take lots more force to get the swing arm rotating away from the bender arms. I don't see anything wrong with the way your ram is mounted to the swing arm portiion of the bender.

My 2 cent for whats it's worth.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Miller Man have you been using the bender or is it still in production mode? Just curios, Because I have the same bender and the is the best (easiest) idea that i have seen yet. IF it works ok. Seems that it would be alot of force on that one bolt. thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I have bent a LOT of 1.5x.250DOM using my JD2 by hand. I have had no problems so far. however, every once in a while one of the pins will work itself up and out of one of the holes, thereby making it in single shear. What happens when this happens is that my die gets crooked and, if I were to keep bending, it would snap a hole like yours did or bend a pin. I can see how, with a ram on one, it woud be hard to tell that this was happening until it was too late. Are you sure that that's not what happened?

J. J.

·
Registered
166 Posts
We are still in production mode here, gotta finish the wheels, 4 leveling legs and then it's off to NOVA's shop to get the hydrolics mounted! Any 105 or JD Model 3 hydro bender that is ordered, the hydro swivels on the 3/4" bolt like ours is, so it should be fine, the cylider is also supported by the White poly on the swing side!!!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Thanks Miller Man. I may try that same thing. What cyl. are you using? where did you get it? How Much was it? thanks for the help

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
I bend 1.25 0.281 and 0.219 pretty regularly in mine.
Also bend 1.5 0.500 without trouble.
Also bend 1.75 0.500 without trouble (now that I gusseted my 1.75 die--broke it once)
Also bend 2" 0.250--that stalls out around 20-25 degrees.

Only issue I've ever had was breaking the 1.75" die (broke the block that the U-strap pins onto, off) and once I welded that back up and gusseted it, no problems since.

FWIW, I'm running a 12V dumptruck pump, an ag valve, and a 3x24 ag cylinder. My JD Model 3 is pushing 8+ years old now too, I think... not sure if it's any different from yours or just older.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I was having problems bending 2" with mine that it would torque the top plate enough to throw my angles off using in with a ram set up. 1-1/2" was not giving this problem I welded the DOM sleeve that go from the top plate to the bottom plate together where the two bolts go through and it seems to have fixed the problem. Seems that when you use it manually that you equalize the pressure between the two sections where as when you use a ram you only load one side and the two 5/8 bolts that hole the top and bottom in line are not up to the task. :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fixed It !!!!

I got it fixed! I laided a 2" channel on the bottom plate and welded the crap out of it. That fixed the bottom plate. Then I changed the angle that my ram pushes from, it now has a pretty straight shot the whole way. I bent two of my coilover mounts today, 75 degrees 4 times and no problems.!

And darn Scott, you work with some heavy wall chit!

Thanks for the input guys!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts