Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I did a search and came up empty handed. I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to swap a 2.5L 4 banger out of a Jeep into a Toyota? I was talking with a friend a while back and he said the AX15 in Jeeps is very simular to the Toyota 4cyl tranny. I was wondering if the bell housings were interchangable between them. If so I would think it would be a fairly easy/cheap swap. Also I know the Isuzu trooper used a 2.8 Chevy so perhaps that bellhousing could be used if it would bolt up to the Toy tranny. I'm trying to find a motor I can swap into my POS cheaply without having to pay through the nose for a 22RE or shell out for an adapter. The truck itself is an '81 longbed with a very tired 20R that won't die but also won't propel the truck faster then 45mph. Any other ideas are welcomed.
Thanks
Travis

·
Premium Member
40,287 Posts
One of the points of an engine swap is to wind up with something you couldn't get from the factory. For example, my 1980 Toyota pickup never came with a 408" Chevy smallblock, but it has one today. What you COULD get stock from Toyota was a pooch of a 4-cylinder. I sure wouldn't go to the hassle of an engine swap just to get another pooch of a 4-cylinder in there. Rebuild your 20R or find a 22R. Those are really the only sensible 4-cylinder options IMO.

TEX

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a valid point but I'm poor and can't afford to rebuild a motor for a truck that's worth about $500. I also can't afford nor do I need a Monster V8 and the new tranny, tcase, axles, ect. to accomidate it. What I do need is reliabity, fuel ecomomy and a cheap swap. I can pick up a low mileage 2.5L FI a lot cheaper then a good running 22RE since there is little to no demand for the 2.5Ls. The 125bhp of a 2.5 is plenty for my light little truck. And if my some extremeely good fortune the bell housings are interchangable then it makes perfect sense to me. Of course your right if there is no easily obtainable bellhousing to mate the 2 together then it would be a very stupid swap. But with 125hp to a 22REs 114 or a 22Rs 104 it makes sence to me at least to look into it.
Travis

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If a 2.5L bellhousing bolts up to a Toyota tranny, which is what I'm trying to find out, and I can get a complete 2.5L with all accessories and electronics for dirt cheap then I don't see how the cost would be even close to a V8 swap. The only other unknown I can think of off the top of my head is a Radiator and those are plentiful in junk yards. I have a 231 Buick that's a good runner but it would cost me around $1100 to get it in the truck since I have to shell out for adapters and headers. I've gernaded Toyota 5 speeds with squirel power so there is no way I would keep one with a V8 so I'd have to run a turbo 350 while I prefer a stick. Then an adapter to my toy tcase which would hopefully hold up the excessive V8 power. Then new drive shafts to my tired axles filled with birfeilds and easy to strip R&P. Then a Radiator, exhaust, and crossmember. I have a hard time seeing how I could swap a V8 for the same price a 2.5L asuming the bellhousings bolt up, and why I would need more then 125hp. But that's just me.
Travis

·
Registered
700 Posts
FYI, the 2.5L runs an AX-5 on a 60º bolt pattern compared to the 4.0 with the AX-15 with a 90º bolt pattern. What configuration do you have on the Toyota?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
the 2.5 wont fit on a yota. you can certainly adapt one, but not for less than a rebuild. and,if its injected like i think you said, you will end up with even more in the swap than rebuilding the 20R. if money is that tight, just "freshen" up the 20R,instead of a full rebuild:
valve job$150,
cylinder bore$60
master gasket and bearing kit. under $100
rings are $40
plus misc stuff and time. no biggie i did my yotas in a w/e like this and it makes a big diff in an old motor.
i'm certainly not discouraging a swap, but i have yet to see a simple and cheap one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts