Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm in the market for a 90 something cherokee. Family is bigger now plus the dog. The only thing is there is tons of automatics but very few manuals. How do the autos hold up. This truck will be built for daily driving and light to moderate trail use. No rock crawling or anything hard core.
thanks

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I got 170,000 on my auto without any problems. I change the oil every 15k though. about 70k was hard city driving, the rest was high desert driving with temps >110. some towing. I heard the auto behind the 4cylinders was a POS though.

Charlo

·
Registered
772 Posts
The Jeep AW4 is a pretty stout/durable transmission for anything but hardcore wheeling, lots of torque, and/or towing.
Just get a tranny cooler and you it will probably outlast the rest or the rig.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
The Jeep AW4 is a pretty stout/durable transmission for anything but hardcore wheeling, lots of torque, and/or towing.
Just get a tranny cooler and you it will probably outlast the rest or the rig.
I've beat on my AW4 pretty hard, i'd call it hardcore wheelin... pushing 5klb. rig with 38s four about 2 years now.. rev limiter on the 4.0L has been seen more than a few times...
I've even busted lines and ran it near dry (more than once sadly), and its still holding strong... It doesn't have more than the stock cooler but an upgraded cooler is a great suggestion..

I've seen other trans. die from less.... I wouldn't trade the AW4, actually thinking about using an AW4 in another build since its done so well for me...

·
Registered
57 Posts
I got 170,000 on my auto without any problems. I change the oil every 15k though. about 70k was hard city driving, the rest was high desert driving with temps >110. some towing. I heard the auto behind the 4cylinders was a POS though.

Charlo
na not rele, i have the 4 banger and the tranny is pretty good, no problems i have 98,000 miles and only changer the fluid twice..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts