Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It was running fine until I stop for a quick bite on Sunday, then no start! It does not crank at all. The voltmeter read 10 volts, so I figured the battery must have been drained. Tried jump starting, no show.
I recently changed the battery, so bad battery can be eliminated. How to go about troubleshooting this? :confused:

Any input would be much appreciated. :D

My Jeep: 1989 Sahara Wrangler

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is definitely a click and the voltage drops from 10-11 volts to zero. The voltage comes back up after a minute or so, then the same things repeats if I try to start.

·
Registered
338 Posts
sounds like the starter. has this happend to the jeep before?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, this is the first time I'm experiencing this.

·
16,230 Posts
Whack on the starter with something fairly hard 3-4 times, then try to crank it. That may loosen it up if it's bound, but it sounds like you will have to replace it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How difficult is it to replace the starter?

·
Registered
338 Posts
pretty damn easy to do on jeeps.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How to check the ground on a starter?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Two bolts holding the starter, two nuts holding the pos/neg wires.

Done in less than 5 minutes.

About $75 for a starter.
Awesome thanks, is solenoid a part of this as well, or do I need to buy this separately? ( sorry, never done this before so it might sound silly).

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Awesome thanks, is solenoid a part of this as well, or do I need to buy this separately? ( sorry, never done this before so it might sound silly).
It's all one piece, I have seen a few issues with the starter, A buddies XJ had the same issue and the wire from the starter to the battery was shot.

·
Registered
815 Posts
haha ok that wasnt very helpful. i googled e 12 and it doesnt come up. what im talking about is an external torx drive size 12. your bolts if stock will be a funny little star shape and thats the tool you will need.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
haha ok that wasnt very helpful. i googled e 12 and it doesnt come up. what im talking about is an external torx drive size 12. your bolts if stock will be a funny little star shape and thats the tool you will need.
All the bolts on my Jeep are funny one off looking. So, I went ahead and bought a whole set of star shaped drivers. Not sure what they call them...
:shaking:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, guys, I need your help on this again. I removed the starter and got it checked by Pepboys. It came out clean, they say it has no problems at all. I’ll get it checked by AutoZone( just in case).
I installed it back and I see the same issue again, that is when I turn the ignition, there is “click” noise and that’s it. Sorry to bother "again", how do I even being to check the wiring???:(

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Did you recharge the battery?

Power is not getting to your starter.

Really dirty battery cables or clamps will cause problems also.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts