Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1975 jeep cj5 304 that's starts good, idles good but after about 30-45 minutes of driving I notice when coming to a stop it wouldn't idle have to feather the gas pedal. Then it would die with out any warning no sputtering no nothing just dies even with rpms up it just shuts off as if you turn the key off. I've looked inside of carb to make sure it's getting gas as it does so I don't think it's a fuel problem.i haven't checked to see if it's a spark problem. But it has done this twice when I try to start it it just cranks and then it seem like it it would start as I was turning the key back to run position i could rev it up butthen it would suddenly die as if I turn key off. Then I could let it sit for 20 or 30 mins and it would start up and run fine. Any ideas?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well you might want to try actually looking at things before coming here and asking stupid question in the wrong section. How is anybody going to give you a clue when the only thing they know is that it's getting gas?

How about checking for spark? engine only needs three things to run . Air, gas , spark. You know you should have two now try looking into the third. Can almost bet the coil is taking a dump. They can get heat soaked then they stop working till they cool.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Check the fuse holder in the fuse block for the ignition chased that for a long time in my 83 cj5. wound up being a broken terminal in the fuse block causing a intermittent connection. good luck

·
Registered
938 Posts
Money is on the ignition module. I went through a few in my amc 360 when hot. Also carburetors suck :flipoff2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts