Pirate 4x4 banner

Jeep CJ with 40K tow capacity????WHOA!

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  RockGolem 
#1 ·
You're thinking..."yeah right":rolleyes: but a friend spotted this for sale. 1985 Jeep C10A Military Tow Tractor, Nissan SD33 I6 diesel, TF727 trans with NP208 t-case, D70 rear with 4.88 posi, 2wd, 40k tow capacity for $2500. Here's the
LINK to the add. Eventhough it's only 2wd, I'd like to snag the drivetrain alone out of it, plus I think it's a cool little rig. Anyone know anymore details about these?

#5 ·
TexasBlakeWFO said:
I dunno why it would be 2wd since it has a transfer case, I guess they just use the low range from it. Does it have a front differential, or just an axle tube?

If this was handbuilt, it probably was built out of post 1980 J10 parts (NP208 & TF727) and that diesel is what comes out of Nissan Patrols.

Body sure does look a lot like this thing though.
These are not handmade. They were made for moving airplanes and there are a bunch of them around.

#7 ·
TexasBlakeWFO said:
I dunno why it would be 2wd since it has a transfer case, I guess they just use the low range from it. Does it have a front differential, or just an axle tube?

If this was handbuilt, it probably was built out of post 1980 J10 parts (NP208 & TF727) and that diesel is what comes out of Nissan Patrols.

Body sure does look a lot like this thing though.
The link to the tan J-10 is cool, I like it. But the one on Ebay is fugly.

Did the tan J-10 shown actually come with the pickup bed? If so these most of been export only versions? Anbody know?:confused:

#8 ·
nobody20 said:

The link to the tan J-10 is cool, I like it. But the one on Ebay is fugly.

Did the tan J-10 shown actually come with the pickup bed? If so these most of been export only versions? Anbody know?:confused:
From what I gather, most were for export, w/ diesel engs. I saw one down here on the road, chased the guy down for about 5 miles to ask if he wanted to sell t. He said no. Ain't seen another since then.

#11 ·
A buddy of mine has over here that he bought off the USAF base locally. Fixed it up, added LPG so its dual fuel. Its really nice.

Heres his specs:
1985 Jeep CJ10a 'Flightline'
Ex USAF Jeep converted into a unique off roader

These push it forward

Chevy V8 Camaro ‘350’ engine, headers and custom non cat system

TH350 Transmission with B&M 'Megashifter'

NP203 'Full time' Transfer case

LPG and Petrol

These keep it on the ground and going where I want (some of the time)

Dana 30 Front axle with Warn shafts, fused locking hubs & ARB locker

AMC 20 Rear axle with 1 piece Moser shafts and ARB locker

4.56 final axle ratios

33 x 9.50 BFG MT’s

Helping it work in all conditions

Custom lifts - suspension equiv to 3" and body 1"

Heavy duty Radiator

External trans. oil cooler

Twin Kenlowe electric fans with internal cab overide

Custom snorkel and external 'Green' air filter

Warn Series 9 'commercial' winch with radio remote and Master-pull plasma 'wire'

Powermaster 140 amp altenator Hand throttle

Steering damper

These just make it look cool and functional

Custom rear bed and tonneau

Custom dash

Corbeau 'Forza' seats, 4 point TRS harnesses

Alloy tube bumpers

Custom Stainless roller fairlead

Smiths Gemini II alloys

Is it finished - of course not........

Wish List:

Upgrade to 35" BFG tyres

SOA and associated lift/body changes

Ranch RS9000 or better shocks

Fit Edelbrock 600cfm Carb (currently sat on bench)

#12 ·
Those are used to tow small airplanes in the AF, they are also used to tow aerospace ground equipment (AGE). The diesels are really durable, they get abused. Top speed is about 45 mph. We call them bobtails in the airforce. You should see the dodge 3500 and the ford F350 bobtails we have now, They would make awesome cab trucks since they are so short. The AF is slowly phasing out the jeep C10 bobtail so look for them at military surplus auctions and DRMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.