Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, looks like everyone but me know the answer to this one. Searched, didn't find an answer.

I HEAR folks tell me they like the jeep TJ (97 and up) instead of the YJ because the TJ has a coil suspension and the YJ has a leaf suspension. So I start thinking, searching, and then the questions pop up.

1) Is there a kit to change a YJ leaf type into a TJ type coil suspension? So a YJ + kit = ride like a TJ?

2) OK, the hard one, what are the advantages coil to leaf? Not looking to start a fight, just give me your thoughts.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,814 Posts
You are right, TJs are coils, YJs are leafs (leaves?).

I know I have seen YJ coil conversions advertised (aftermarket), or I guess you could find a TJ, buy the axles and suspension, and put it all on your YJ.

Coils supposedly flex and ride better than a leaf setup. Only thing is they are MUCH more complex...you have to design a link system to locate the axle. Watch the Gen 4x4 section for people discussing 3 link and 4 link designs. If you can keep up, you can learn a lot about it...but quite a bit of it is fairly in depth material.

I personally plan to stick with the leaf setup for a while on my Cruiser (already SOA)...its easy to mess with, relatively cheap, and simple.

If you want a better ride out of your leaf setup, go SOA (spring-over axle), and you will get lift and improved ride. This is a little more complex than just a spring lift, but nowhere near as bad as coils.

HTH:flipoff2:

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
depending on the springs you use they do flex better because they have no friction like the leaves do...the companies that make kits are pro comp and black diamond(but its a coilover kit and is a lot more $$$ but well worth it) superlift was designing a kit at one point several years ago and I dont know if they ever came out with it...personally I wouldn;t mess with the link setup yet...I would learn the basics of your Jeep and then go SOA then later donw the road maybe go with a coil setup....another bennefit to coils is you get better approach and departure angles and you can stretch your wheelbase more easily...

·
Registered
17,626 Posts
If it was me, I'd stick to leaves. They are a lot easier to work with, and a lot less work to make them flex like crazy. You could always go 1/4 elliptic :D
Scott

1 - 4 of 4 Posts