Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into the possibility of converting my 91 Comanche from straight axle to 2wd Beams.

I'm thinking I can convert a Ranger kit from someone like Camburg to fit up decently with a little modification, or maybe a few custom brackets on their end.

Anyone have any knowledge to throw my way? I've always been a straight axle guy, looking to get into JeepSpeed 3700 or maybe 1400 down the line.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
blatant asshole
11,727 Posts
Ruff stuf brackets, 1.25"hiems, 2"x.25 hrew tubing, f150 beam enlds and brakes, d30, d44, or some other wheel end

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ruff stuf brackets, 1.25"hiems, 2"x.25 hrew tubing, f150 beam enlds and brakes, d30, d44, or some other wheel end
I've got the rear 44 built with a spool, so at least I've got that going for me. I'm still learning the independent lingo so forgive me but what are beam ends, Like hubs or snouts?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it. I've been doing my homework and went out and finally got myself a Millermatic 211! Should be a little faster than my original idea of using my Oxy rig

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
why use expensive camburg beams? I would go find a set of stock beams off a F-150 or ranger from a junk yard depending on the width you want to run. Keep in mind that the older ones are Cast and are the ones you want because they can be welded and bent if you want to extend or bend them to correct camber. The later ones are forged and cannot be bent or welded. These ones actually say "do not bend heat or weld" right on them. I forget the exact cut off year was.

I would not expect to be able to use any off the shelf brackets, unless someone specifically makes a kit for converting the comanche to I-beams. Otherwise i would just plan on making them your self.

You are also going to need a set of radium arms. i recommend heim join radius arms over bushings in racing applications for obvious reasons. Those will need to be custom made or purchased from an aftermarket company like camburg. Stock radius arms are much too short. (although you can build your own extended ones using cut up stock units, let me know if your interested, i have pics from the ones i built)

I assume you are planning on running coilovers? if so you will need a build a custom shock hoop/engine cage. If you are planning on running coils (i dont recommend) you will need to build coilbuckets and shock towers.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
why use expensive camburg beams? I would go find a set of stock beams off a F-150 or ranger from a junk yard depending on the width you want to run. Keep in mind that the older ones are Cast and are the ones you want because they can be welded and bent if you want to extend or bend them to correct camber. The later ones are forged and cannot be bent or welded. These ones actually say "do not bend heat or weld" right on them. I forget the exact cut off year was.

I would not expect to be able to use any off the shelf brackets, unless someone specifically makes a kit for converting the comanche to I-beams. Otherwise i would just plan on making them your self.

You are also going to need a set of radium arms. i recommend heim join radius arms over bushings in racing applications for obvious reasons. Those will need to be custom made or purchased from an aftermarket company like camburg. Stock radius arms are much too short. (although you can build your own extended ones using cut up stock units, let me know if your interested, i have pics from the ones i built)

I assume you are planning on running coilovers? if so you will need a build a custom shock hoop/engine cage. If you are planning on running coils (i dont recommend) you will need to build coilbuckets and shock towers.
You have that backwards, forged can be welded safely, cast beams cannot and have that cast into them.

to the op, the beam hangers will be the challenge for you, if you see the post above you XJ prerunner, the beam hangers are by far the most intricate part.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
You have that backwards, forged can be welded safely, cast beams cannot and have that cast into them.

to the op, the beam hangers will be the challenge for you, if you see the post above you XJ prerunner, the beam hangers are by far the most intricate part.
that's right You are correct, sorry

·
Registered
14 Posts
Another option is to use the F150/Bronco 4WD D44 beam ends, knuckles, hubs etc and fabricate the beam length/angle you need.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been looking at different beam brackets. For my mj I'll be using f100 brackets. But I have a ls that hangs 2 inches lower than the stock 4.0. The f100 brackets hang low enough to clear everything. You may want to look into it

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looking into the possibility of converting my 91 Comanche from straight axle to 2wd Beams.

I'm thinking I can convert a Ranger kit from someone like Camburg to fit up decently with a little modification, or maybe a few custom brackets on their end.

Anyone have any knowledge to throw my way? I've always been a straight axle guy, looking to get into JeepSpeed 3700 or maybe 1400 down the line.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Some guy in San Diego area did a TTB conversion to his wj. I think his race team is called three thirds Fab. Google it. He shows his beam jig for making the beam mounts. Doesn't look too hard to do

1 - 15 of 15 Posts