Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #181 (Edited)
Looks really nice.
The FC also

:p
Good to see the progress! Keep it up.
Thanks guys!

I love (in a non-homosexual way) this build!
:beer:

Craig- I went back to look for the aluminum bed you had before and I'm not seeing some of your older pics at the beginning of the thread? Can you check the links or upload directly to Pirate? I'd hate to lose the tech in this thread because Facebook or photobucket,/flicker/instagram links get broken and don't work any more.

Was the aluminum bed that you had before a work bed or was it just a flatbed? Did you sell it because it was harder to weld aluminum (your Miller 211 should be able to weld Aluminum with a spool gun) or it just didn't fit the new design?
Damn Facebook. The photos are hosted there, and for whatever reason, the URLs change periodically (and seemingly randomly). I'll see if I can go back and upload pics to Pirate, or do something to make them last long-term. Facebook is both a blessing and a curse, depending on the moment/situation. For now, I re-added a pic of the old aluminum flatbed below.

Regarding the truck itself, I'm waiting patiently to start working on this again...my schedule was crazy last week, and will be this coming week, as well. For anyone who's curious, the cab will come down about 6 1/2" relative to the frame from where it sits (hangs) now.

The old aluminum flatbed, which has now been re-sold.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #182 (Edited)
There was no work on the FC last weekend, but I picked up some items that belonged to my late Grandpa Charlie that I'd like to somehow work into my build. These old Craftsman tool boxes (which were full of little trinkets) were from his early before-I-was-born house building days, and the misc. tools were collected over the years. This stuff has been in storages the my Uncle's for 10+ years.

Some blacksmithing tools and a draw knife...

Perhaps some of the wrenches will end up being repurposed as door handles/window cranks, or as levers of some sort.

I did work today in the ridiculous heat (about 6 hours), thoroughly cleaning, prepping & priming the back section of the driver frame rail, and the three (3) rearmost crossmembers. Once everything is done, it'll get top-coated with Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black (Satin).

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
I dropped two (2) '94-95 Dodge 47RH transmissions off at KAZ Transmissions in GR to have them inspected. The 2WD one only has 114K miles, and is believed to be in good condition. The 4WD one has 140K, and the owner thought it was in need of a rebuild. My goal is to end up with one good 4WD unit (swap the 4WD tail housing onto the 2WD trans), with only the need for a new gasket set and a fresh paint job. I'll know more in a couple days.

While cleaning/purging this weekend, I found this leather keychain, which I think I got with my 2014 Wrangler. It matches the Commander leather seats very nicely. It's a *little* detail, but those are the ones that count, IMHO.

My $15 (total) Craigslist find this week...a couple vintage pipe threaders, and a giant lug wrench. We'll see if I can use these somehow in the design of my truck. The woman, whose husband passed away 7 years ago, is moving soon. She has two more barns full of stuff, and I'm planning on heading back to walk through them (soon, hopefully).

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
I snuck in some prepping/priming between taking care of my post-wrist-surgery (Friday) wife, Amy, doing some maintenance work on Amy's Jeep, and keeping my obnoxious girls in-check. :) The rear portion of the frame is now completely primed, with the top coat hopefully coming next weekend.

Next...top-coating the back half of the frame, and cleaning & painting the other rear leaf spring and Dana 80 dually axle so I can get it reinstalled before the snow flies.

I also notched & finished off the corners of my custom sun visors. I did prep & paint the visor brackets with some charcoal gray "Hammered Finish" paint to match the arm rests, but they're still drying (no pic yet).

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,982 Posts
Some of those wrenches would make nice transfercase shifter(s).

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
Some of those wrenches would make nice transfercase shifter(s).
Agreed! :D

The sun visors are done. I painted the brackets with charcoal gray "hammered finish" paint, and reassembled them.

This rebuilt '94-95 Dodge 47RH transmission ("mild performance build", including a Recon billet torque converter) should give my old truck plenty of life! It was rebuilt by Kaz Transmissions here in Grand Rapids.

Yes, it'll be painted with Eastwood Aluma Blast before being installed. I'm also working on cleaning up the NP241 DHD transfer case, which will receive the same paint.

Spare parts, including a 2nd 47RH core that was used for the 4WD tail housing. I'll keep the spare parts on the shelf, should I have a need for them in the future.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
My 47RH transmission (rebuilt) is ~2/3 prepped for paint. I'm breaking out the Dremel with micro brushes, which I already used on the t-case, next.

I got half of the NP241DHD transfer case painted, and will paint the other half this coming week. The Aluma Blast paint looks great (it's the first time I've used this paint). It's not shown in the photo, but I also got a transfer case driveshaft slip yoke from a guy in Minnesota (retired, and used to own a driveline shop). I'll eventually bring it, along with the stock Super Duty rear driveshaft, into a driveline shop to have a custom rear shaft built.

Also on the way from Minnesota (different guy) is this vintage (Dodge) shifter that was pulled from a '72 Winnebago Indian Class A RV with a TF727 auto transmission (the cable is 103" long!). These shifters were originally dash-mounted, but will probably end up installed on the floor of my truck due to cable length constraints due to the mid-engine set-up.

The rear portion of the Super Duty frame is now top-coated, as well (first coat...one more to go later tonight). This will allow me to reinstall the rear springs & Dana 80 dually axle once I finish painting them (hopefully before winter).

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
While in Orlando for work this past week, I was fortunate enough to finally meet my FC friend, Darrell C. He lives in Kissimmee, which is only ~10 miles from where my work conference was being held. Darrell made the time for a 10-minute "power visit" in a very small window of time I had available. It was great to meet him, and his FC170 is BEAUTIFUL! Ironically, we had both shipped each other some small FC parts within the week prior, and had no idea we'd have the chance to meet up.

Darrell's FC170 has a 350/700R4, and J4000 axles (Dana 44/60).

Darrel had actually just sent me some GM D-body (Cadillac) door window sweep seals, which he had just installed on his FC. The seal appears to be much better than the original FC felt ones. I set them on the shelf for a future install once the project is further along.

I did some misc. transfer case black paint work today—PTO cover, poppet plug, fill/drain plugs, and some bolts (no pics, though). The t-case is almost done. I also got most of the accessories removed from the Dana 80 today—sway bar, brake lines, e-brake cables, and calipers. I'll get the other leaf spring removed tomorrow.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
Just a small update...

The NP 241 DHD is now completed. Pretty little bugger. On to the 47RH prepping & painting next.

I also started making a speed sensor plug for the Dana 80 DRW rear axle. I cut down a BIG Super Duty bolt, and will be plug-welding it to the 3/16" plate I cut/shaped to fit. I'll seal the shortened bolt "plug" with Permatex Ultra Gray gasket maker.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
I finished up the Dana 80 speed sensor delete. It's now primed, and ready to install once I clean up and prime/paint the area on the axle under the plate location.

We'll also be hauling this one-owner 1994 Dodge Cummins 2500 home tomorrow. It runs great, but the (2WD) transmission has some OD engagement quirks. The price of the truck was very reasonable, and it'll give me a lot of the little parts that'll help my build. I'll keep the core of the truck in-tact and running regularly until I'm ready to install the engine (probably spring). This also means that I'll be selling the Cummins 6BT I already have (message me if you're interested in it; guaranteed to run well).

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,982 Posts
You already have a 6BT and bought another so you can sell the one you already have? :confused:

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
You already have a 6BT and bought another so you can sell the one you already have? :confused:
Fair question, guidolyons. The whole truck is priced right, and I've learned that sometimes my projects are "two steps forward, one step back" when it makes sense to help keep things on-budget. The truck will give me some parts (other than the engine itself) that'll help my project, and once I sell off the parts I don't need, will help reduce my overall investment in the Cummins. I haven't parted any vehicles out in a couple years, but it made sense with this truck.

Craig

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
This week, I sold the first Cummins 12v I bought to an acquaintance who happens to be a diesel mechanic. He took a look at my new engine while he was here, and said everything looks good at a glance. He said the turbo felt great, and had no unexpected play. I have a fair share of degreasing to do, some gaskets, addressing the KDP, and then clean-up & paint. I think I'll weld casters to the underside of the frame, hack it behind the motor, and have a temporary dolly to wheel it around the garage while I clean it up and work on it.

Maeve (my youngest) helped me with some teardown on my "new" Cummins donor truck, while Mira prepped her '97 Cherokee (XJ) sway bar for paint. They were both productive little members of society today. We did get a primer coat on Mira's sway bar, and also on my F350 rear shackles.

Unfortunately, after a "Patina Rod" driveline discussion with my diesel mechanic buddy earlier this week, I realized that the input shaft on my spiffy-clean '01 NP241 DHD transfer case is actually too short for the '94 47RH transmission. It looks like it won't even be long enough to seat into the seal on the rear of the transmission, so I'll have to buy a longer replacement shaft and try to install it without buggering up the shiny new paint. Two steps forward, one step back. So it goes.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
Looking good! Keep up the progress.
Thanks!

For the rest of you, if you're hanging on the edge of your seat for Earth-shaking progress, you'll have to keep waiting patiently. I'll again disclaim that I'm more "crock pot cooking" than "microwave fast" when it comes to my builds. Part of this is by choice, and because I'm detailed, and the other part is due to balancing this hobby (habit) with a full-time job and a family. In more recent years, I've learned that balance is of the utmost importance (I'll call that "wisdom", I guess).

As I get closer to reassembling the rear of the truck (springs/axle install), I knew that the bushings on my rear shackles looked a little rough. I checked with the Ford dealer about replacement bushings only to find that they don't offer just replacement bushings, but rather just complete new shackle assemblies for $80 each. Ouch! Instead, I called AB Spring Service here in Grand Rapids, and they installed new bushings for $54 total (both shackles). I then top-coated them with my stand-by Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black paint.

I did order yet another Eastwood paint product I haven't worked with before, and that's Radiator Black paint. It's a low-build paint that I got to pretty up the stock Dodge intercooler.

Most of my time has been spent tearing down the '94 Dodge pick-up. With the help of my loving wife, we got the Dodge cab slid off the frame after I finished stripping the interior (the cab was lighter than I expected, actually).

$4.68

That's the amount of change (and most of a $1 bill) I found behind the dash, under the seats, under the carpet, etc. I also found a previous owner's (or driver's) expired driver's license. Aside from some scattered gum wrappers, that's about as exciting as my exploratory mission got.

In the evenings, I've been doing some Cummins maintenance/service research online, and in the FSM. I'm making a list of gaskets, etc. I'll want to pick up the next time I get to the local Dodge/Cummins dealer (I'm planning on going with genuine Cummins gaskets). I'm also planning on an extra vacation day around the Thanksgiving holiday, and hope to finish prepping and painting my 47RH transmission.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
One wouldn't typically be able to guess how much time I've spent wire wheeling (down to Dremel-sized wire wheels) my rebuilt Dodge 47RH transmission. Let's just say it spanned several days, mostly because I'm <insert_adjective>picky*finicky*OCD-like</insert_adjective>. I then hit it with a couple coats of Eastwood Aluma Blast paint. I also painted some of the misc. related parts with satin Extreme Chassis Black.

I visited my local Jeep-Dodge dealer, and got prices for several of the Cummins gaskets that I plan on replacing. I will say that my dealer discount is certain appreciated, especially when dealing with these spendy gaskets! I definitely plan on using genuine Cummins gaskets, though (vs. aftermarket).

I've also been talking with Jon from JB Custom Fabrication about a shifter for my NP241 DHD transfer case. He's currently working on a prototype for this particular 241 application, and I sent him some dimensions & photos of mine for reference, as he doesn't have one on-hand. I'm sure I'll be talking more with him very soon, and placing an order once he has something available.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Looking good! A quick tip to keep those Aluma-Blasted parts clean is to apply a clear coat like our Diamond Clear over top of the Aluma Blast paint. This will make clean-up easy if you get greasy hand prints on the parts. It can just be wiped off, where as the aluma blast alone sometimes can be more difficult to clean. That is if you're worried about that sort of thing on this build!

Keep up the good work

-Matt/EW

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
Looking good! A quick tip to keep those Aluma-Blasted parts clean is to apply a clear coat like our Diamond Clear over top of the Aluma Blast paint. This will make clean-up easy if you get greasy hand prints on the parts. It can just be wiped off, where as the aluma blast alone sometimes can be more difficult to clean. That is if you're worried about that sort of thing on this build!

Keep up the good work

-Matt/EW
Thanks, and great to hear from you, Matt (it's been a while, and I'm not sure if you remember helping out with some product for my now 15-year-old daughter Mira's Jeep Cherokee 2-door a few years ago).

Great suggestion on the Diamond Clear as a top coat. I have a partial can (Satin) already, and of course my latest Eastwood order just shipped today, so I'll pic up more on my next order. Again, I appreciate the suggestion.

Thanks,
Craig

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
This weekend brought about a task I wasn't originally horribly excited about—swapping my NP241 DHD input shaft. The stock 23-spline shaft in the 2001 transfer case was the correct spline count, but it was too short to reach the seal in the back of the 47RH auto transmission. quad4x4.com had what appeared to be the right part, but it was $330! I called my dealer, and unfortunately, all they could give me was part numbers, not specific specs/lengths. After several days of researching and cross-referencing things online, I eventually found the Mopar part number I needed. Here's the low-down...

The gear I needed (which, hopefully, will help others reading this thread) was:

• Mopar P/N: 4797028
  • Application: 1998-2000.5 Dodge Ram with a 5.9L V-8 gas engine, and NV4500LD manual transmission (with Transfer Case assembly number 52105026AB).
  • Specs: The new input gear is 0.71" longer than the original 2001 gear (original: .84" Exposed Input. New: 1.55" Exposed Input). Both original and new gears use the wide (0.940") input bearing. Careful, as there are also narrow-bearing input gears that are not compatible.
  • My Dodge dealer doesn't actually stock the part, and their system says to order it from Vintage Parts. I called Vintage parts with the Mopar P/N, and for $98.01 plus shipping, had the new input gear the following day...crazy-good service!
Yes, I tackled this on the dining room table. :)

Yea! New tools. Thanks, Amazon, for this Lang Tools (3495) 12-Piece Snap Ring Pliers Set.

Case broken open...I'm 99% certain, it was the first time.

Old input gear on the left, new on the right. For you non-reading picture freaks who skipped the detail above, the new gear is 0.71" longer than the original.

My daughter, Mira, torquing the input bearing retainer to spec (20-25 ft.-lbs.). I already cleaned all the old RTV off the case halves (after this pic was taken). This week, I'll clean up the bolts that connect the two halves of the case, and then re-seal and reassemble the case.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Are you planning on mounting the engine in the doghouse or mounting it behind the cab? I don't remember if you said that or not. I'm also working on a fc170 at the pace of a sloth. Going be hunting down a donor cummins in the spring hopefully. I have been thinking of mounting it behind the cab for some more noise control.

181 - 200 of 239 Posts