Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having trouble finding a transmission for my CJ5. I’m going to use a 302, NP205, HP44 front and a D60 rear. I’m going to be stretching the wheelbase 1-2’ using waggy leaves and making a new frame so length shouldn’t be an issue. I have looked at several trannys, but have not found what will bolt up well.
Im looking at the NV4500, TH400, ZF 55-42 and the NP 435. Which out of these is best for the money and will bolt up to the 302. From what Ive read, the ZF 55-42 is the best but way to much money. Im looking mostly at the NP435 as its cheap and has the granny 1st, but Id like some more ideas.
TIA

·
Registered
230 Posts
435 is the best for the money. it will bolt to both with minor fabs. should be able to get it done for about 500 including the tranny if you have the 205.

·
Premium Member
3,960 Posts
well, you can get a 435, T-18, or ZF from a junk yard that will bolt right in..
the first two shouldn't be more than a $100, the third.. well.. anywhere from 500-1000, as they are somewhat hard to find.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kendo said:
T18 or NP435 would be my choice. And I'd ditch that 205 for a D300, the gearing sucks on the 205.
I got the 205 with the D44 and D60 from a 78 F250, so I know it will bolt up nicely. From what Ive heard and read, the 205 is a very soild case and is very, very hard to break. Sounds like Ill be going with the NP435, unless there is a major weakness with it. Does anyone know what they came in?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
435s came in fullsize fords, i think mostly f250s and f350s from the 70s to the mid 80s. no weak links there, it's a big, heavy duty 4 speed

the 205 is a good case, but as somebody said the gearing is pretty terrible, not to mention it's a heavy pig.

·
Premium Member
3,960 Posts
josborn55 said:
NP435 will fasten up to 302 with a T176 bellhousing with no conversion.

Why not just get a 435 that allready HAS a right bellhousing on it??? :confused:

you guys do know that the 435, T-18, and Zf ALL came behind smallblocks at one time in the last 30 years..

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anone else have ideas?
Also, will all NP435s bolt up to NP205s? I dont want to buy an adapter and do full on custom stuff. Thanks

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
All fullsize ford Tcases except the D21 use the same input and bolt pattern, all you need is a 435 out of a 4x4 ford with the tailhousing still installed. The most you'd have to do to bolt up the 205 would be to notch the tailhousing for clearance for a shift rail on the 205. No big deal to pull off.

If you are interested in keeping your D300, look for a 2wd tranny and then novak adaptors makes an adaptor plate and shaft.

Justin

·
thhhpptthh!
46,718 Posts
why discounet the c-6 and c4's ?

I'd slap a c6 inthere personally.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
sceep said:
why discounet the c-6 and c4's ?

I'd slap a c6 inthere personally.
+1.

Sell that 205, buy a jeep 300. If you can find a small block 4x4 C6, it's an easy conversion. Just some quick machine work on the C6 output to make it 23 spline to fit the 300 and then slap it on. No adapters are needed. The Ford adapter shares the same bolt pattern as the jeep 300 and you get a lower low range to boot, not to mention a bit of a weight savings. 300s are plenty strong for what you want.

·
thhhpptthh!
46,718 Posts
rock-rod said:
+1.

Sell that 205, buy a 300. If you can find a small block 4x4 C6, it's an easy conversion. No adapters are needed.

why sell the 205? other than gearing issues. the 300 is a pass. drop. small block c-6 to 205 would fit him perfectly, with the option to do a doubler down the road.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
sceep said:
why sell the 205? other than gearing issues. the 300 is a pass. drop. small block c-6 to 205 would fit him perfectly, with the option to do a doubler down the road.
duh, just realized he has a ds drop front end. damn fords.... never mind. :rasta:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry guys, but I dont have a 300. Not sure where you got that from. I wanted to use the c6 out of the truck that I got all the other parts from, but it wouldnt mate up, and it would be way to heavy. I know the auto vs, mannual is a big can of worms to open, so Im not going to start. I like driving a mannual, so I think Im going to stay with it. That, and prices are nice. Unless someone can convice me otherwise.

·
thhhpptthh!
46,718 Posts
Starboard M said:
I wanted to use the c6 out of the truck that I got all the other parts from, but it wouldnt mate up, and it would be way to heavy. I
wait, you pulled the 302/c6/205 all out of a truck, then the c6 changed and wouldnt mate back up?? :confused:

Not going to open the auto/manual can, but i strongly suggest you find a buddy that wheels an auto, and go drive it for awhile. You will come to the dark side. Auto's are cool. :evil:

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
I used to drive a 75 bronco spd manual loved it then went to c4 loved it toasted it 3 times had 435/ 205 laying around collecting dust so I put it in an I love it the most 205 low range not a problem thats what granny gear is for and here in ohio not much rock crawling to do so my vote is for the 435 trans

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
sceep said:
wait, you pulled the 302/c6/205 all out of a truck, then the c6 changed and wouldnt mate back up?? :confused:
Sorry about all the confusion. OK, the truck that I pulled everything from had a 400, C6, NP205 and D44 front D60 rear. I have a non HO 302 that Im going to be using. I want to know if any NP435s will fit to the NP205 that I have.

About the mannual vs. auto. I have a DD '89 XJ that has a auto. I know how nice it is and dont have to worry about the clutch and stalling. But I also like the simplicity of mannuals and the reason Im going towards the NP435 is the low crawl ratio, so Im hoping stalling wont be too big of an issue.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Hoxviii said:
All fullsize ford Tcases except the D21 use the same input and bolt pattern, all you need is a 435 out of a 4x4 ford with the tailhousing still installed. The most you'd have to do to bolt up the 205 would be to notch the tailhousing for clearance for a shift rail on the 205. No big deal to pull off.

Justin
Justin

1 - 20 of 26 Posts