Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok this is definatley/probably a newbie question. but how the heck does that work. i understand that the vacuum slides a collar over to connect the right side axle. but now if i put it in 2hi does the left axle and differential still turn. if it doesn't why not and how the heck does connecting the right axle together affect the left. and if they turn all the time doesn't this cause extra friction turning all that stuff when it isnt needed? this is my uncles jeep and he wouldn't let me take it all apart to figure it out for myself. so flame me if you will, as long as you tell me how the hell it works :D

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
The drivers side shaft always turns, so do the spider gears and the intermediate shaft. this is where it stops in 2WD
the DS will also freespin(no pressure from either end)

On TJs which have a one peice Pass side shaft the DS always turns(backfeed through the R&P)
Thats why TJs have some funky characteristics when you put a locker(non selectable) in them
Even in 2WD the locker is receiving some pressure and is continually operating.

WAY too many moving parts when they don't need to be IMO :shaking:
If it wasn't a POS D30 id say put some manual hubs on it

Now throw it away, put in a D60 and take this shit to NEWB :flipoff2:

·
Registered
704 Posts
It is a newbie question yes, but I think recruitment to our hobby is a good thing! :D

The left shaft will turn yes. But do you know how a differential work? If not, open one, or best of all is to play with one in technic lego! You'll see that turning the one shaft forward (while keeping the diff still) will rotate the other one backward, and since the right shaft is "split" in the disconnect mechanism the right wheel will roll along the ground not interfering. The diff, pinion and drive shaft will stay still because they have more friction in them. It is a silly system, but at least the driveshaft and ring and pinion don't have to rotate all the time.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
the non selectable locker in a tj acting funny is bullshit at best. i replaced teh complete piece of shit vacuum disconnect in my yj with tj shafts (760x joints :smokin: ) i threw a lockright in it and i never notice any effects from it aside from an 'occasional' click when pulling into a parking spot. even when i did have the pos disco, i locked it over full time with a piece of tube ont eh motor shaft. enough times of ripping vacuum lines off when i was running itty bitty tires made me do it :grinpimp:

·
Registered
704 Posts
gumbojeepyj said:
the non selectable locker in a tj acting funny is bullshit at best. i replaced teh complete piece of shit vacuum disconnect in my yj with tj shafts (760x joints :smokin: ) i threw a lockright in it and i never notice any effects from it aside from an 'occasional' click when pulling into a parking spot.

Have you ever tried braking (and locking up exactly one front wheel)? You're in for a surprise... :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
gumbojeepyj said:
the non selectable locker in a tj acting funny is bullshit at best. i replaced teh complete piece of shit vacuum disconnect in my yj with tj shafts (760x joints :smokin: ) i threw a lockright in it and i never notice any effects from it aside from an 'occasional' click when pulling into a parking spot. :grinpimp:

Put a real locker in, like an old style Detroit, that does not release quite as easy, and the effects will be much more noticeable. :eek:
Lockrites seem to over run easier than the old style Detroits.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Amund said:
Have you ever tried braking (and locking up exactly one front wheel)? You're in for a surprise... :flipoff2:
yeah you are right! it was a surprise the first time it happened.... :flipoff2:

ok, its not noticeable with NORMAL driving. :smokin:

as far as putting a "real" locker in there. why waste the money for a detroit in a d30 when it'll be coming out eventually anyway.

·
Registered
430 Posts
gumbojeepyj said:
the non selectable locker in a tj acting funny is bullshit at best. i replaced teh complete piece of shit vacuum disconnect in my yj with tj shafts (760x joints :smokin: ) i threw a lockright in it and i never notice any effects from it aside from an 'occasional' click when pulling into a parking spot. even when i did have the pos disco, i locked it over full time with a piece of tube ont eh motor shaft. enough times of ripping vacuum lines off when i was running itty bitty tires made me do it :grinpimp:
I've been thinking about making my vacu-crap permenant.(On my XJ... its a trail rig only)... Can you PM me what you did in a little more detail... I would appriciate it.

Trey

1 - 11 of 11 Posts