Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm not a Jeep guy but here's my theory....

It's a '93 Wrangler 4 banger stockish that belongs to a good friend. Runs well, I just did a head gasket on it. It's a DDer that doesn't see much wheeling so we would prefer to stick with what we have in there aka no swaps to a Dana or other modifications, aka quick repair and get it back on the road. A couple of days ago he was driving going around a corner and all of a sudden something popped and now it won't move at all... The gears and engine wind up but no movement. It's a 5 speed, tranny seems to be in good shape. In 2 or 4 wheel it doesn't move, driveshafts are not spinning....

Now, I'm familiar with the NP241, I have a Dodge non-slip yoke version in my LC. A quick peek leads me to believe it's a 231 in there, correct? What do you guys think about the theory that the chain snapped in the t-case?

Also, if that is the case am I likely to see a lot of damage in there because of the chain? aka should I replace the whole t-case or buy the chain at a car parts place and call it quits...?

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
If it was the chain, the rear would still work i think, i could be wrong.. Im thinking it has something to do with the output (tranny) or the input (tcase).. just pull the tcase and see if something is wrong

·
33,755 Posts
if it were just the chain then the rear would still spin, the chain ONLY controls the front driveshaft. Might check to see if the t-case linkage slipped causing you to be in neutral on the t-case. Shift the stick in the cab and see if that makes it move... or shift the stick in the cab and have someone look under the Jeep to see if the linkage is moving. You would expect some major noises if he had snapped an output shaft on either the tranny or t-case.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have messed with the 4WD and nothing is happening, the shifter did actually seem to not offer a lot of resistance but from what I could tell something was still moving... 241s have the ability to be in 'neutral' like most t-cases, this means nothing is spinning, I figured if the chain broke maybe there is a design in the t-case that automatically puts you into neutral. In any case, chain broken or not you can still have the tranny moving and input gear while the outputs (neither front or rear) are not moving...

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
yes.. 231's did come in 93.. crawl under and look at the linkage and make sure it's still hooked up.. and if it is, have someone move it, and make sure its moving the shaft in the tcase

·
11,310 Posts
Hi,

It is a 231. It sounds more like the linkage is screwed up. An easy way to check that is to go undernetath, on the driver side, and push the transfer case linkage shifter by hand (look at the red arrow below). It should offer some resistance. Try moving it all the way to teh front or all teh way to the back.

he case linkgae has a pin and a spring that are screwed from teh outside,and I have seen a TJ where that screw poppwed out and the pin came loose, so teh shifter arm (or wahtever it is called), was loose.

Again, try manually to engage it. The shifter linkgae that attaches to the shifter has a tendency to come loose (It is a single screw holding it to teh shifter). My YJ has a TJ case, and that happened one time.

Good luck!

Gui

Attachments

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
His motor and tranny mounts could be shot to hell, which allowed for the linkage to pop;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Has the clutch got any feel to it? could be the clutch has blown itself! Happened to me. :mad:

Daggie

·
Registered
489 Posts
If it's in the transfer case then he should be able to shift it through the gears at idle and hear the differences ... otherwise I'd point to something strange like the input shaft. But he still hasn't eliminated the idea of a blown clutch, some history/mileage might help.

CP

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Clutch is recent, less than 15K miles on it installed professionally. Pretty much everything indicates it's not the clutch, and yes he can wind through all the gears and the pedal feels right.

I can't look at it for a couple days unfortunatly but am pyched to see what it is myself :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
If it won't turn in 2wd OR 4wd I say input shaft for t-case. As others have said, it would still work in 2wd regardless of the chain, and the front wheels would still be able to pull it if it was related to something behind the t-case. I'm definetly not an expert on engines, but I have replaced a few too many transmissions. Whats the possibility of fly wheel breaking or Torque Converter not being connected to the fly wheel anymore?

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK I finally tore it down tonight. T-case: perfectly fine... Tranny: fried or stuck in neutral even though the shifter is moving the linkage around. Total bummer, it pretended 1st and 2nd would work (I actually got some resistance from the output) but 3,4,5,R, totally worthless :(

Poor guy is strapped for cash, I'm working on his rig (he's a good friend) on credit. I also just did his head gasket..

IIRC it's a AX-5 in there correct? Will a AX15 replace it or are there necessary mods? Anyone have a AX5 or 15 lying around they want to sell?? Preferably in Utah and thanks ahead of time...

Andre

·
Registered
417 Posts
This brings me back to Tom's first axiom......

If your strapped for cash, don't drive a Jeep

1 - 20 of 22 Posts