Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE: Jeep Wrangler Engine Noise @ Startup w/Audio Clips

I turn my key, engine starts up and then immediately after the "vrooooom" it makes a clattery noise...not so much a screech.....maybe a metallic clank screech...as it winds down normally. Runs fine after that. I drove like 50 miles to work this morning and then stopped to get a bagel...went inside and came out like 4 minutes later. Started up the Jeep, no noise... Any ideas?

http://www.jeepguide.com/audio/noise/

Bottom: Sound from under engine.
Top: Sound from top of engine.

I tried to listen and it sounds like it's coming from the left side of the engine, down near the oil filter and starter. I started the engine a few times, sound was there each time.

Listen closely the sound bites don't do the sound must justice. After the engine reaches it's loudest point you'll hear some clatter that trails off as the engine come down to idle.

·
Registered
662 Posts
it sounds (I didn't listen :) ) like lifter noise to me. I have a chevy truck that makes ALL kinds of noise like that when I start it up. After about 10-20 seconds it all goes away. My Jeep doesn't do that... but a similar thing may be happening to your.

sorry this doesn't help a lot.

Flywaterguide

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
flywaterguide said:
it sounds (I didn't listen :) ) like lifter noise to me. I have a chevy truck that makes ALL kinds of noise like that when I start it up. After about 10-20 seconds it all goes away. My Jeep doesn't do that... but a similar thing may be happening to your.

sorry this doesn't help a lot.

Flywaterguide
I've heard it could be a dirty starter sticking, bad oil filter, and now that. Not too sure, going to try to eliminate a few things this coming week, maybe have a shop look at it too. Going to replace the oil and filter this weekend and take the starter out and try to see if it's dirty, maybe spray it with WD40.

·
Registered
76 Posts
mmm... Maybe the flywheel, but I'm almost sure is the bendix of the starter, maybe is al little dirt in it and doesn't go back on time after strart, WD 40 time...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Silveradomx said:
mmm... Maybe the flywheel, but I'm almost sure is the bendix of the starter, maybe is al little dirt in it and doesn't go back on time after strart, WD 40 time...
What's the best way to clean the starter once it is out?

Is it greased anywhere or have a gasket?

Just yank it and blow in it with my mouth, then WD40 the thing?

Which part should I WD40?

Should I wait until it's dry to put it back?

Should I do the same to the area it plugs into as I do for the end of the starter?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just spray some WD40 on the bendix, the bendix is a little piston that push a crane onto the flywheel when you start the engine, I bet it is mud in that piston so it can't go back on time when the engine runs, and mantains contact with the flywheel, just clean it up, no big deal...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FINAL UPDATE:

Went out in the dark and did this:

1. Unhooked negative battery terminal.
2. Spent 15 minutes trying to figure out how to take the electrical connection off. (Pull the red clip towards the front of the Jeep. That unlocks it. Then push down on the clip under the red slider. Pull.) :puzzled:
3. Unbolted both bolts from the starter. My bottom one SUCKED getting off and on, hopefully I didn't strip it too much. But regardless, took them out.
4. I did the bolts while holding the starter, once the bolts were free I took the starter out. It has a fair amount of dirt in it.
5. WD-40 all in that sucker. Let it drain, did it again.

Note: There is a drain hole in the bottom of the starter. If you had the same problem I did, chances are you had mud over the entire starter, and flooded it. This caused the internals to flow less smoothly. When the little gear is pushed into the flywheel (I think that's right) and then comes back it takes a little while and there is slight teeth grinding or the flywheel may spin the starter motor fast, whatever the case, that's what makes the sound. Make sure you pick out the mud from that drain hold or at least blow through it with the WD-40 so that clears. That will help drain the WD-40 that you're shooting from the open hole. I pretty much WD-40'd it until I couldn't hear sand crunch when I turned the gear that is visible.

6. Put the starter back in position, put in both bolts.
7. Electrical connections.
8. Battery (scared me cause I forgot for a minute)

Make sure tools are clear, turn on engine, no horrible sound.

Write-up coming. Thanks all who helped.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts