Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently starting a YJ project and will eventually end up being a 4bt/NV4500/NP or dana 300 with one tons and 40s. Anyways, I recently came across a good deal on some old CUCV one ton axles (chevy 60 and 14 bolt 456s with lockers) that I restored and converted to discs. I was wondering if anyone has done this swap before and can help me out with the swap? I am a newbie with little experience but I am excited to learn.

Thanks for any input!!!

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Click on the tech button at top of page. Browse for axle bibles and start reading.

Everything you need to know is on this site but if you don't have skills it is probably better to save up and pay a shop.

This is a lot more than an oil change.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Tons of people have done this swap. Your going to have lots of info and a ton of threads to read where people have done a D60 and 14B on leafs.

Couple tips:
You need to outboard the leaf mounts on your frame a few inches to match the spring pad mounts on the axles. On the rear you can cut the old pads and move them because your going to want to point the pinion at your t-case output at ride height.

Make an axle wrap bar for your rear if you are going spring over or the 4BT torque will break your rear springs the first time you put your front tire on a boulder to crawl up it.

It your running that 4BT then your power band is low RPM and you may want to change out those gears for some smaller gears...check with a RPM calculator. (Randys Ring and Pinoin has one on their website.)

Reinforce the front frame with some plating before installing your motor mounts for the 4BT. She is a heavy motor.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Couple tips:
You need to outboard the leaf mounts on your frame a few inches to match the spring pad mounts on the axles.
The OP has a YJ, not a CJ. There's only about 1/4" difference in spring pad width on the YJ vs D60 spring pads.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
some grinding on the casting and redrill the center hole 3/8" -1/2" inward and then grind the weld away on the other perch (on the axle tube itself) move it in bout 3/8" - 1/2" and burn it back in... then bolt the axle into the YJ. pretty straight forward.. the issue is you need a case thats driver side drop.. if you have an AX15 your good.. buy a D300 and it's a pretty easy swap as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
370, can you elaborate on what you posted?!?!? I am VERY interested in that! Couldn’t find any other info about what you said? Any pix of this process? How much grinding? What about if I use Jerp 2.5 wide springs on the 3” perch? I tried to pm you but my phone wasn’t letting me, so I have to ask here. Wish there was a YouTube video on this!
Thanks in advance brother!
Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts