Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As of right now I have a 94 yj with the 2.5 4 banger and the ax5 trans with 4:10 gears. This is on 31’s with a 3” body lift and a 4” suspension. With a straight pipe. So yea no power and bad gas mileage. Ik I will have to replace my trans but does anyone know of the cheapest way to swap my 4 cylinder to a v8. Preferably a trans that will run my 4:10 gears and handle the v8

·
Registered
260 Posts
does anyone know of the cheapest way to swap my 4 cylinder to a v8.
Cheapest way? Tune up your 4 banger and run it for a while, as it shouldn't be that bad with 31's. Get rid of some lift and wait until you're ready to change out the entire drivetrain to do the V8 swap.

None of what you currently have, with the debatable exception of the t-case, is going to tolerate v8 power, and the bigger tires you almost certainly have in mind, for long.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am in the process of swapping in a 5.2 out of a 94 Grand Cherokee. Picked up the whole jeep for $400. Dana 35 was blown to pieces in it. Seems to be a fairly easy swap.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,538 Posts
I know everyone's LS hungry but why not a 4.0?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
You have to change all the same systems. Engine, motor mounts, radiator, exhaust. Unless you have a donor jeep, it isn’t much more to go v8.

Op, the trans you have is marginal w/ a 4cyl. You need a new trans and likely a tcase. Or at least an input shaft.

If you have stock axles, you need an 8.8 too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You have to change all the same systems. Engine, motor mounts, radiator, exhaust. Unless you have a donor jeep, it isn’t much more to go v8.

Op, the trans you have is marginal w/ a 4cyl. You need a new trans and likely a tcase. Or at least an input shaft.

I feel like it is much more.

4.0 in a 94 YJ that was a 2.5 only requires a Engine, Trans, t case or swap the input, and moving mounts forward. In a nutshell.

You can use the same interior and exterior harnesses. You can even reuse the 4 cylinder computer with some wireing tricks. I've used my 4 cylinder radiator since I swaped 4 years ago wasn't aware there was a difference.

IMO 4.0 is far more easy to swap.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,364 Posts

Doing this swap right now in a 92 YJ. Minus motor mounts, it's strait forward. YJ 4.0 ECM and piggy back a few more wires off the 2.5 harness. Same radiator.

People should change to a TJ exhaust (in front of oil pan) regardless.

I agree it's a waste in terms of time spent for HP/TQ. If it was my wallet... V8, ecotec, anything else is a better swap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts