Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my nephew just drug home a YJ wrangler, with some frame rust. Is there a kit to remount the rear shackles? The frame is pretty well gone so I will probably make a new frame section and didn't want to try and make the shakles go through the frame unless I have to.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Agreed...if your shackle tubes are rusted out, the whole frame is shot. THat is about the stoutest part of the frame, the rest of it is probably swiss chese from the inside out.

·
Dabbler
2,161 Posts
I disagree (somewhat)-water tends to settle in the back, and rusts the rear portion of frame from the isnide out. SOME frames I have seen just have problem areas in the rear 2' of the frame rails. In this case-you can drop teh gas tank, and box in a new frame section and incorporate a nice rear boxed bumper. Its less time consuming the doinga full frame swap. It took me about 4-5 hours to box it in correctly-and is stronger than stock.

Before doing this-I would want to make sure the rest of the frame is solid and the rust is local to the rear section only.

Also-make sure you sleeve the hanger holes for the rear shackles.

The street value of a solid frame is about 150.00-300.00. I just sold 2 on ebay last week.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The frame itself is rotted around the shackle sleeve, so no real problem with boxing it in. Just thought I had noticed a different mount that allowed better flexing or better ride. So, I thought I would just make a new rear frame section. I've already started, but only get about 45 minutes of good working time a day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts