Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thats' right.......i own a jeep and want a TOY :flipoff2:

if anybody gots time........tell me what you think is the best year TOY to buy for the best CRAWLER build-up.....like solid front axle, fuel injected and something i can afford :D

thanks fer any help

·
Registered
198 Posts
1st of all, you're not coming over to the dark side; you're finally coming into the light...
:)
I think the only year that had both SA and EFI was '85 (I'm sure I'll get reamed if I'm wrong about that...)

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
It comes down to body style preference fabrication skills in the end IMO. If you buy an 85 with EFI, you will eventually have to switch to an IFS box to go x-over which aren't that cheap. Anything newer you'll obviously have to SAS it and buy an axle, which will run you about $200 or so. When I bought my truck, I couldn't find any 85's in my price range at the time but ended up picking up an 89 (newer body style) for a decent price. Do a search and check out the 'favorite toyota pics' post and then check out the Toyota faq. Tons of info for you...

·
Registered
635 Posts
Have to agree on the 85 route. That year has a lot of things goin for it especially when it come to some of the availlible options. I too have both (85 CJ and 85 runner).

The jeep is great in the black hills but the runner is tough to beat in moab!!

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
rockr said:
thats' right.......i own a jeep and want a TOY :flipoff2:

if anybody gots time........tell me what you think is the best year TOY to buy for the best CRAWLER build-up.....like solid front axle, fuel injected and something i can afford :D

thanks fer any help
Yeup...like Lexos said, 85. Best of all worlds except the steering box but that's a cheap and easy fix.

If I owned a Jeep, I may concider putting Toyota running gear under it. Just my 02 cents worth. (Oh Great, now I'm going to get flamed!) :laughing:

BTW, Welcome to the BRIGHT side :idea:

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
ifs boxs are cheap.......I paid $45 + $40 shippinf www.car-part.com

2 thoughts on building
buy pre 86 solid axle
or post 86 & SAS

pre 86 you get
front leafs already mounted
no ifs box
narrower rear axle
usually many many miles & most are not EFI, mosth, though 84 did start efi, it's rare, 85 more common.
post 86, more efi models, get into the 89-94s and you can find a decent low miles rig for $3-5k that is not beat to shit & a SAS is not that big a deal depending on your skills.
I'm building up another 1st gen 1980, got a good $5k+ into it, I'm happy with it as there isn't much left stock when I'm done other then cab & hood/grill. dash being gutted for custom RHD conversion, fenders are getting trimmed for the 39.5 Iroks, flatbed, so not much good for me to have a 89+. If I were you building up on a stocker, I would get a 89+ for the confort of the cab, Xcab version, lots of room! & find a low mile 22re 4 banger model under 150k miles on it, start with a pos & replace it all, or start with a nice rig, up to you.I started with a good ol pos, but not so many good 1980s around.
good luck & start a build up post when you do decide:)
welcome to toys, another $ pit, different name

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
is the only problem with the V6 the head gasket?
'90 SR5 x-cab 4x4, V6 5spd 180K $600

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Is anyone else noticing the trend here lately with the large number of people coming over to OUR side? :grinpimp: It seems in the past week, I've seen like five or more posts on Heeps and Chevys and others coming over to the :smokin: side.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
RockRunner4x4 said:
Is anyone else noticing the trend here lately with the large number of people coming over to OUR side? :grinpimp: It seems in the past week, I've seen like five or more posts on Heeps and Chevys and others coming over to the :smokin: side.
Yeah...
They are realizing that a straight axle Toyota is the best right out of the box rig and the Toyota after-market is the most economical and diverse out there. :D

When one can take a 87 eXcab (My wife's) and do a complete SAS conversion, Marlin's Ultimate Duel cases w/4:7's, Marlin's rebuilt Tranny, Bobby Longs Super set, front ARB Hy-Pinion, Detroit rear, 4:88 R&P, New balanced Drivelines w/ Spicer U-joints & CV from Banning Driveline, AP's 4" extreme kit with all the goodies, Hy-Steer, Johnny Joints, 5-35" Pro-Comps w/ Alloy Wheels, CB, 8000M Warn Winch, Tube for bumpers and sliders, Header, Flowmaster, etc. for about $7,500 bucks...I leave behind all those Jeep guys at the bottom of the trail unless they have dumped twice what I've got in mine (Well ok, hers).

That's why :p :D

And yes...I do understand that Jeep thing :eek:

However, Jeeps do have that visual cool look, but that's about it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts