Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading a post about building a tubing bender and saw that you were considering putting together a "kit" for like $175 or something. I was wondering if you ended up doing that or would want to as I would definately like to buy one.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
honestly, i need to do some testing.

i made some benders and gave them to friends. we now need to put them thru their paces to see what needs improved. after reading thru the problems people have been having with their benders, i'm pretty sure my bender would have the same problems.

when i started the bender project, my intentions were to build something that is cheap so that Joe-home-cage-builder can own one and bend tube in his garage. i was thinking max capacity to be around 2" x0.120" wall at the most, and max recommended to be 1.75" x0.120 wall.

i think i may be on to something with the reinforcing plates...i was thinking that i may be able to have them formed into and angle shape to add stiffness to the arms. the laser shop that does work for me does great work for really cheap! i'd like to stick with them if possible for having the parts made...but i may have another shop take a look at just doing the main arms out of 3/4"...

also, i think alot of the problems are due to the hydraulic conversions. most of the conversions have a rigidly mounted rear pivot. this puts A LOT of stress on the bender, especially the pin thru the die. when starting out, the ram is trying to shear the pin since the direction of "push" is almost inline with the arms. i'm planning on mounting a ram so that it pushes almost perpendicularly to the arms that rotate the die. i'll post a link or some pics tomorrow.

i thought that the Pro-Tools dies had a better reputation than the JD-2 dies, so thats why i based my bender around them. the only people i know that have benders, have PT benders.

feel free to ask any other questions!
Matt
www.troutindustries.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts