Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 391 Posts

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking to build a TJ into a AEV Brute like truck, of course without the AEV parts. My main concern is figuring out how to get a top together. It will be primarily a DD so it needs to seal out the elements well. I was thinking of just cutting the cab off in front of the wheel well with rol cage tubing and having a flat rear on the cab, but I cant see what sealing up. Another idea is using something similar to comp corners to cut just all the trunk area out. The rig will have a flat steel bed so either design could be made to look good.
________
SweetD1ana

·
Registered
15,321 Posts
What??? You've made a bunch of statements but no questions. I'm not trying to be mean but how are we supposed to help you if we don't know what you are asking.

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
no

What??? You've made a bunch of statements but no questions. I'm not trying to be mean but how are we supposed to help you if we don't know what you are asking.
I guess it was not very too the point. I want pictures or ideas for cutting the back of my tub so a top of some sort can be built or use. I cant really post pics because I dont know where to start from.
________
DISCREET22 live

·
Premium Member
5,761 Posts
Im assuming you already know about the GR8Tops? http://www.gr8tops.com/
I think they look silly on stock wheelbase C/Y/TJ but they look pretty good on an Unlimited.
They sell a bulkhead that can be used to isolate the cab from the "bed". If you wanted to have a seperate bed like the AEV Brute this is still a good start. I am not a big fan of the square edges of the GR8tops and have wondered about cutting down a factory hardtop.

Examples:
An LJ rom the GR8Tops website

A pretty bitching Aqualu CJ Truck Kit

This one was done by BTF with a pretty trick break-away/pivoting rear cage for hard top removal. The route I would go if I wouldnt do a seperate bed.

Last is the Prospector (linked on the GR8Tops website) by Throttle Down Customs. I guess it would be a "Poor Mans" Brute. It doesnt have the stunning lines of the Brute but it can give you ideas on how to make your own from other TJ tub back halves.

I saw your Wanted add and still think that a CJ-10a is a great start. Why have you changed your mind?
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=813750&highlight=cj+10a&page=3

I love the concept of the Jeep Truck. I almost bought an MJ last year for a DD. The more I look into the different options the more I fall in love with the Brute.

One of my only complaints about the Brute is that the top of the cab and bed dont line up when the hard top is off.

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
5,761 Posts
I dont know where I saw the thread but someone might know from my description. He took a standard LJ. Lengthened the rear portion of the "bed" to almost the same as a Brute and put the AEV hardtop on it. It was the most Brute-like garage build I have seen. The only thing it lacked was the gap between the cab and bed.

Edit: I am pretty sure it was a red Jeep.

·
CrawlTunes
3,810 Posts
I don't like the Brute's bed.

I must cut a CJ7 tub up to make a comp cut small bed for my CJ10.

But on the other CJ10 I have, I think I'm just gonna get some Genright Scrambler corner Guards and use trailer wheel wells. Then I'll just mount a CJ tail gate to it.

It takes some work to square an old, beat up tub back up once you cut it in half.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I've built half-cabs for both TJ's and CJ's, I can probably answer most questions you might have about cutting tops into half-cabs. Here are photos of my two.

PS: The gray one is for sale, it's a complete rolling shell, ready for your choice of engine, drivetrain and final paint color...

·
Premium Member
5,761 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
I dont know where I saw the thread but someone might know from my description. He took a standard LJ. Lengthened the rear portion of the "bed" to almost the same as a Brute and put the AEV hardtop on it. It was the most Brute-like garage build I have seen. The only thing it lacked was the gap between the cab and bed.

Edit: I am pretty sure it was a red Jeep.
That one used a Gr8Tops top:

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430949

·
Premium Member
5,761 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,761 Posts
More from the thread above.

·
11,307 Posts
Definitely some nice setups. Thsi is the one my byddy is building. Started as a YJ:

Not the best pics but can give an idea of the mockup. Basically modified cab (similar to a CJ10), and scrambler half top. A lot of work on modifying the CAB, but he did a great job. The rig is almost done, he just ordered an aqualu tub yesterday for the rera rather than fabbing the rest.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Very cool.

The TDK cab looks a little more spacious than the Brute's for some reason.

I like the bed on this one, it was an M416 trailer. I'm sure you could do something similar

1 - 20 of 391 Posts