Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 386 Posts

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I like the 10a idea. I Think what I would do is a GR8LJ with WB stretch and the do a reverse bob on the over hang of the bed. You'd be in the money and the sheet metal work would be easy. Cut--->Paste---->Paint=Done.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Bach, the guy who owns Gr8tops i believe is out of columbia and gets on USJeeps. Could PM him on there about something.

There was a build up on rubicon ownersforum of someone who took a TJ and made it his own type of brute sort of and made a flat bed for the rear sort of. Anyone have a link or seen that? I had it but i lost it and can't find it now.

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Lots of nice pics, I need a 8' flatbed so I must run a separate bed and cab. It does not appear the gr8 top will follow the curve of the rear of the TJ tub if it was shortend.
________
Querti

·
Registered
301 Posts
Lots of nice pics, I need a 8' flatbed so I must run a separate bed and cab. It does not appear the gr8 top will follow the curve of the rear of the TJ tub if it was shortend.
The tub has a curve and the Gr8Tops top has an angle, but it does fit and it does seal fine. Gr8Tops asked me to try one on my tub, so they lent me one for a few months to try out, here are some photos. It was a very fine quality hardtop, it sealed well everywhere, including the rear tub corners. I had plans to build a custom metal hardtop (photo earlier in this thread), so I didn't keep the Gr8Tops top, but had I not been planning to build the custom top, I would have kept theirs.

BTW, I don't know if it shows in the photo, but TDK made the back corners of their tub to match the angle on the Gr8Tops top. They also made the front corners of their bed the same style.

I'm sure I took some detail photos of the tub vs. hardtop corners, because Gr8Tops asked me to send them some, but I may not have kept them, I'll have to look around on my hard disk...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Thats the info I was looking for, This top might be the ticket! How did you decide how much to leave behind the seats? could you pull a measurement from some fixed point to the inside of the back of the tub?
If you're talking about the Gr8Tops top (also same size as the Brute top), here's the answer:

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
good thread, I'm planning on doing the same thing to my jeep.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The hardtop on the TDK Prospector is a Gr8Tops hardtop, and it is exactly the same size as the Brute hardtop.
From the Gr8Tops website:
The “Prospector” is sporting one of the newly released GR8TOPS “xtended” model of our half hardtops.

I guess that doesn't prove much, they sure look different though

·
Registered
301 Posts
From the Gr8Tops website:
The “Prospector” is sporting one of the newly released GR8TOPS “xtended” model of our half hardtops.

I guess that doesn't prove much, they sure look different though
BTW it's the same Gr8Tops top that's in the photo of my red Wrangler pickup earlier, and the same one that requires the 61" tub length I posted a photo of.

The non-xtended Gr8Tops top is a few inches shorter, but I wouldn't recommend it because it severely cramps your seat position - you can't recline when the seat is slid all the way back. The xtended top provides for a cab that's large enough for me to be comfortable, I'm 6' 6".

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
this is a comment to the black ruby with red sim-locks, it was owned and had built by a friend of mine English Dave from KC.. It was a ruby LJ and never stretched it did have a crazy air bag suspension and after BTF had it all I can say was WOW. As far as I knew he sold it some time ago.. Where did it go? Dan did an awesome job on the cage and it had a badass tintop under the top.. nice to see it again..
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s210/floundering101/Jeep3.jpg

·
Registered
128 Posts
this is a comment to the black ruby with red sim-locks, it was owned and had built by a friend of mine English Dave from KC.. It was a ruby LJ and never stretched it did have a crazy air bag suspension and after BTF had it all I can say was WOW. As far as I knew he sold it some time ago.. Where did it go? Dan did an awesome job on the cage and it had a badass tintop under the top.. nice to see it again..
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s210/floundering101/Jeep3.jpg
I dont know about the rest of the Jeep but he sold me the hanson bumpers that were on it until it went to BTF and yes the airbags were interesting.

·
Premium Member
5,761 Posts
There are pictures somewhere on the net of exactly what you are talking about. It was a grayish-green TJ with the Brute cab and top conversion, minus the bed, and 40" MTRs. I remember it because the front end looked great and the crappy flatbed killed the whole look. IIRC, the Jeep was owned by some shop but the front end and Hemi conversion was done by AEV. It was in one of the 4x4 mags. The rig was rolled in Gilmer, TX and not a single straight boddy panel after that.

21 - 40 of 386 Posts