·
Slow Poke
3,585 Posts
Any updates? ?

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #288
Reviving an old thread to see if there’s any updates???
Looks like a derelict thread. too bad!
Huh...okay, that's fair. Been off this project for a couple of years. Good Lord, where does the time go? Well, since I stopped working on El Jeepo, I've completed lots of other projects, been on several awesome vacations, hiked the John Muir Trail, bought property in Mexico for our future vacation home and, generally, just kinda forgot where I was and why I was having a mental block on this project.

Well, I had an extra day off last weekend since the wind kicked us out of Johnson Valley so I spent an afternoon staring and, wait for it..., WORKING ON EL JEEPO! Yes, it's true, I actually figured out how to mount the steering column. It's done! Just ordered a brake booster and master cylinder,
so hopefully I can get the brake pedal and throttle mounted this weekend.
I have a vacation week beginning tomorrow and we have no plans to travel.
Stay tuned for another update and pictures...

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #292
So, over the past couple of years I've struggled with how to mount the steering column and didn't know exactly how to deal with the brakes. I have also struggled with my need to understand how everything is going to work before jumping in and building. That hasn't been working for me as you can see from my lack of progress. I'm venturing out on a limb from now on by simply jumping in and trying something. If it doesn't work, at least I'm working! The more I work on this project, the more I understand.

Since I've been off this project for two years, I'm now having to go back and re-learn what I was doing. I'm finding parts I forgot I'd purchased and with my new found attitude, I'm drawing things out and building again. I had to build two brake pedal mounts which took longer but at the end of the day I actually have a finished product. How's that for forward movement?

I must have bought three different types of steering column mounts and couldn't decide which way to go. Three weekends ago I had an afternoon free so I picked up one of the column mounts, threw caution to the wind and simply fired up the plasma cutter and started whittling out a notch for the mount. Viola! Steering column mounted! That little bit of effort and progress has netted me this new outlook and motivation.

Using this, I sketched out a rough design for my brake pedal mount. I built an entire mount before realizing the brake pedal I bought from Wilwood mounts on both the back and the top. The speed holes I put in the original piece were in direct line with the top mounting holes. Ooof!

The brake pedal is now mounted on the inside of the cabin where I want it, but this, unfortunately, places the brake booster right on top of the left bank of spark plug coils. So, doing what I do best, I stared at it all day today. I think I've come up with a plan to build a booster mount which will raise the booster 1.3".

Here are some pictures of my progress.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Absolutely fantastic work.

Just throwing this out there but, could you relocate the coils to the firewall? Looks like you have plenty of room. Lots of companies make adapter harnesses for moving the coils. Personally, I think it makes an LS look much cleaner with the coils relocated.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #294
Absolutely fantastic work.

Just throwing this out there but, could you relocate the coils to the firewall? Looks like you have plenty of room. Lots of companies make adapter harnesses for moving the coils. Personally, I think it makes an LS look much cleaner with the coils relocated.
That, is a great idea! I've never seen coil re-locators, I'll look into them. I've got most of the layout for a booster bracket figured out. The OEM booster bracket was also lifted approx 3", guess this is a common problem...? Anyway, thanks for the thought, might be the way to go.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #295
I finished the brake pedal and brake booster mounts. Due to the brake booster making contact with the left side of the engine, and the coil bank, in particular, I had to raise the booster for clearance.
The OEM booster mount was also raised so I just copied the basic design and made one that worked for this set-up. I like the idea of re-locating the coils onto the firewall or intake manifold. I've never seen this type of set up before,
so now I think I'll go that route down the road. Even with my adapter there is still less than an inch of clearance between the coil mount stud and the booster. If I ever had to change out the rear coil, I'd have to remove the entire coil bank or brake booster. Not good.

Next up is to build a mount for the throttle pedal and route the throttle cable through the firewall.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #300
Update!

Hello everyone!

I hope this message finds all of you safe, healthy and not too stir crazy with the pandemic lock-down. It has been two years since I posted any updates on El Jeepo because it has been that long since I’ve worked on it. Unfortunately, I’ve lost my mojo with this project. I’ve been hoping that after retiring, which I did at the end of 2018, that I would be reinvigorated and ready to get at it. It just hasn’t been the case.

With a lot of contemplation and angst, we’ve decided to move on from this awesome project. Yes, El Jeepo is for sale.

A lot of the major work has been completed but, make no mistake, there is still plenty of work to be done. The work is always in the details! The chassis is mostly done, just some smaller tubing work and finish welding for the cage. The engine/trans/transfer case are all mounted and done. The axles are done, drive shafts are in, carriers are Hi-9s and in. All axle shafts and drive slugs/locking hubs are still in boxes.

Major work yet to be done are the cooling, fuel and electronic systems. The dash needs to be re-installed. Fenders need to be built and the front group mounted. The seats and driver controls are in but the steering orbital valve and shafts need to be fab’d up and mounted.

I have just about all of the parts needed to finish this project minus raw materials, such as roll cage tubing, fuel tubing, exhaust tubing, wiring, etc.

I have over $40K invested in this project. I will consider offers in the $25K range. I am not interested in trades, I don’t need anything, especially another project! Please respond to this thread with questions, someone else might have the same question that I may be able to answer for the whole group.

You can reach me at (760) 964-6182, my name is Mike.

281 - 300 of 313 Posts