Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 68 commando for a steal of a deal. Planning to slowly build it up. In hours of research I can't find anyone thats done a LS motor with the existing frame. Or anyone thats used these adapters from Novak running. Gen III LS. https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/engine-mounts/mmx-ng3/

Most builds I've seen everyone built a frame. SO is there anyone out there using the existing frame with a newer LS motor? Looking for ideas.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Right on, i haven't seen those! They look nice and beefy. Thanks
What did you use them in?
I used those mounts to swap a 2000 4.8 into my J10. I don't know if your frame is the same as the J series and wagoneers, but these mounts are slightly too narrow for the frame, like .5". I stacked some 1/4 plates together on the insides of the frame rails to make up for the width issue. I also extended the slots in the mounts a bit to give me a little room to offset the motor to one side or the other. They worked well and my motor is in, just finishing other stuff to get it running now.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Jeepster frames are the same width as CJ5, CJ7, early Bronco frames - 29.25" or so.
Motor mounts are the easy part - there's lots of other things that you should be worried about:

You may want to go driver's drop front axle and move the engine over to the passenger side about 1" or so. Gives more room for the steering, brake booster, etc.

If using a 4L60e transmission, it'll be really tough with a passenger drop axle. Another reason to go driver drop front axle.

The biggest clearance problem is front to back in the engine compartment. You are replacing a V6 with a V8, and you will run out of space fast. Worst case, you can always move back the firewall. Some have lengthened the hood and fenders and moved the grill forward.

Cooling is an issue. A larger radiator infringes on the head lights. Some have moved the lights out (bug eye), but no one generally likes that look. There are pancake LED headlights that have promise, but don't look classic (if that's what you are after).

·
Registered
25 Posts
I picked up a 68 commando for a steal of a deal. Planning to slowly build it up. In hours of research I can't find anyone thats done a LS motor with the existing frame. Or anyone thats used these adapters from Novak running. Gen III LS. https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/engine-mounts/mmx-ng3/

Most builds I've seen everyone built a frame. SO is there anyone out there using the existing frame with a newer LS motor? Looking for ideas.
Thanks in advance!
I just installed the novak mounts in my ls tj swap and they worked great. Novak is a fantastic resource and helped me out a lot along the way. Not the cheapest but I enjoyed having another resource to ping questions off of as they came up.

·
Premium Member
7,192 Posts
I just installed the novak mounts in my ls tj swap and they worked great. Novak is a fantastic resource and helped me out a lot along the way. Not the cheapest but I enjoyed having another resource to ping questions off of as they came up.
Any pictures of how the engine looks between the frame rails?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Any pictures of how the engine looks between the frame rails?
I can take some pics tomorrow but I just posted my video build series on here, you could watch the end of video 5 when I show the exhaust and maybe you can see the placement.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used the Novak mounts for my LS YJ and they were nice. Easy to adjust. Once I had it perfect I welded in place. It was nice to be able to move the engine up and down until I found the sweet spot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts