Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i recieved a FREE Dana 44 front axle from a 08' rubicon. 30 spline inners 32 outers. high pinion. From my understanding these axles are the strongest of all the front 44 axles. The u joints are bigger than the 760x and the r&p slightly bigger. The axle tube problem of 07 was cleared up and the inner c's need a gusset. With these specs it would be safe to say these axles out of the box can handle a 37" tire with 4:88's. This will be going into my yj with a 2.5L and a 4:1 and 4:88's in the next year and looking for input? Are they as strong as they say? Planning on doing some serious rock crawling. Any input on the rubicon front axle.

·
Registered
682 Posts
IMHO 'serious rock crawling' is not compatible with either dana 44 or 37" tires.

As far as 'will it hold up', that's entirely up to you and your driving skill.
Myself, I'd prefer a wider 70's ford high pinion to the '08 rubi unit. But if I got one for free, I'd run it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
from a guy who drives and works on jk's their axles suck. the tubes are very thin much thinner then previous 44's. the inner c's are prone to bend when using anything over 35's. there are many kits that will allow you to sleve the tubes and truss the c's. i have seen them survive beatings once the upgrades are done.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IMHO 'serious rock crawling' is not compatible with either dana 44 or 37" tires.

As far as 'will it hold up', that's entirely up to you and your driving skill.
Myself, I'd prefer a wider 70's ford high pinion to the '08 rubi unit. But if I got one for free, I'd run it.
Running a dana 60-70 would be nice if it was a trail only rig but for a DD about the time you out board the springs cut it down for legality reasons and all the other shit u have to do it doesnt make sense. Ive met do many guys who "want" a dana 60 so they dont have to worry about breaking anything b/c they dont know how to drive.

Back to the JK44front Usually 37's is the max for a 44 and with the high pinion factor and the slightly larger r&p and spline count should be fine. JP mag happen to rate that axle pretty high just seeing if others have heard the same .

·
Banned
24,243 Posts
from a guy who drives and works on jk's their axles suck. the tubes are very thin much thinner then previous 44's. the inner c's are prone to bend when using anything over 35's. there are many kits that will allow you to sleve the tubes and truss the c's. i have seen them survive beatings once the upgrades are done.
this

without gusseting, trussing and/or sleeving, the tubes and C's are the weak links

many are running 40s on re-worked JK D44 with upgraded shafts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Ive heard the samething about the axle tubes and the inner c's. I work for a custom jeep and have wheeled with some JK guys and 37's and seem to do wheel but dont really push it as far as i would. But the axle is FREE cant beat that. My overall goal is to drop in an axle that will fit a YJ in the front without cutting the axle down which leaves me with a waggy front 44 , which is a LP,same u-joints as my HP dana 30, 30inner 19 out, yet it has larger tubes and no hub assembly, the tj 44 which the only thing thats a 44 about it is the center section everything else is a dana 30, or a jk 44 front from a rubicon. Id like to match my fron axle with the xj dana 44 i have in the rear. Im just looking to run 37' on my DD and wheel sure beats a dana 30 and a 35

·
Registered
660 Posts
Ive heard the samething about the axle tubes and the inner c's. I work for a custom jeep and have wheeled with some JK guys and 37's and seem to do wheel but dont really push it as far as i would. But the axle is FREE cant beat that. My overall goal is to drop in an axle that will fit a YJ in the front without cutting the axle down which leaves me with a waggy front 44 , which is a LP,same u-joints as my HP dana 30, 30inner 19 out, yet it has larger tubes and no hub assembly, the tj 44 which the only thing thats a 44 about it is the center section everything else is a dana 30, or a jk 44 front from a rubicon. Id like to match my fron axle with the xj dana 44 i have in the rear. Im just looking to run 37' on my DD and wheel sure beats a dana 30 and a 35
Then fucking run it. No need to defend it or yourself since you know of all the "short comings".

Like you said it was free, so if it breaks you really are not out anything except time. Seems reason enough to me to run it. If you break it, then you can decide which direction you want to go from there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Easy guy!
haha true that.

i have a jku rubicon on 35's and i'm about to do inner sleeves, upper and lower c gussets and lca skids and see how it goes. i'm thinking about running 37's with 5.38's but still don't know if i want to take the chance, its my DD as well. let me know how yours does!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm running 39.5's on my JK rubi with a D44 front. It is trussed, inner sleeves, C-gussets and RCVs. I have confidence that it'll hold up but I won't bag it either. It can definately work if you wheel smart. Be prepared to change out the unit bearings and ball joints. How are you planning to address the change in bolt pattern front to back?

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Running a dana 60-70 would be nice if it was a trail only rig but for a DD about the time you out board the springs cut it down for legality reasons and all the other shit u have to do it doesnt make sense. Ive met do many guys who "want" a dana 60 so they dont have to worry about breaking anything b/c they dont know how to drive.
He didn't say a 60/70, he said a high pinion dana 44 from the 70s, as in 1970s ford.

·
Registered
737 Posts
They are stout axles. Two friends of mine use them in TJ's--trussed and C gussets. They are badass axles once the housing is beefed. One fella is on 35" PBR's and has 37's in the garage. The other is on 37 Krawlers and will be on 40" MTR/K's next week. I wouldn't hesitate to hammer the axle on 37's.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Then fucking run it. No need to defend it or yourself since you know of all the "short comings".

Like you said it was free, so if it breaks you really are not out anything except time. Seems reason enough to me to run it. If you break it, then you can decide which direction you want to go from there.
X2

If you use the throttle 37's are the upper limit for ANY D44 IMO. Although people run 44's with 40" tires like other people stated. It just wont be reliable or bulletproof. Put chromo shafts in it and bring your stock shafts for spares.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts