·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need to regear from 3.07 to 4.56 so I am exploring this route.

I'll be running on 35" tires. I'll be happy if the D30 can be made to hold up well in that application.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,505 Posts
I need to regear from 3.07 to 4.56 so I am exploring this route.

I'll be running on 35" tires. I'll be happy if the D30 can be made to hold up well in that application.
Depends most on driving style imo. Although the jk stuff might be slightly stronger, I think you will still need to wheel cautiously!

·
Non-Lemming
78,530 Posts
Depends most on driving style imo. Although the jk stuff might be slightly stronger, I think you will still need to wheel cautiously!
Also depends on what he's wheeling on. Mud, not too much concern, hardcore rocks...................... :nuke:

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
I know actionfab has done some stuff with shoving JK30 gears into D30 housing IIRC. Might be able to contact him.

Although at that point why not just run JK axles and get bigger everything else while you are at it?

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just got an used JK D30 3.21 ring and pinion in the mail from eBay for $35

JK's pinion dwarfs my XJ's 3.07 pinion

I'm going to figure out what it'll take to install them into my XJ D30 housing
Likely some machining required on bearing/race

Attachments

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
The differences you are pointing out do not really mean anything when you are talking about D30 failures, especially if you are going to 4.56. The pinion shaft and splines will not fail before the R&P teeth on your D30. Axle shafts will likely go before any of those too. Save yourself the effort and look at upgrading the whole axle to something larger than a D30. Trust me, I have gone through at least 5 D30 and D44 R&P's and way too many axle shafts to count.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wheeled my old XJ on 34" swampers a lot and never broke anything in the D30, even with worn out u joints lol.

Most D30 failures I've seen online looks to be from gear deflecting. I plan to add load bolt(s) to it to keep gears to stay meshed properly.

I'm working on this with Jantz to possibly make Jana K3

There's 1,000's of D30 to polish :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts