Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Has Training Wheels
301 Posts
I can break a D30 by smiling at it.

I polished mine, truss, sleeves, 3 link, WJ knuckles and all that, still snaps ring gears like candy.

Currently building HP44 to replace it. Not spending another dime on a 30, my suggestion is that you do the same.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I can break a D30 by smiling at it.

I polished mine, truss, sleeves, 3 link, WJ knuckles and all that, still snaps ring gears like candy.

Currently building HP44 to replace it. Not spending another dime on a 30, my suggestion is that you do the same.
See red
None of them address the ring and pinion breakage, hence I'm going to try this and see what happen before I swap in a D44 or 60.
I want to try make a Jana K3 if possible, but load bolts for sure and see how it do.

I already have HPD44 in a '77 F250 in my backyard.

·
Registered
316 Posts
See red
None of them address the ring and pinion breakage, hence I'm going to try this and see what happen before I swap in a D44 or 60.
I want to try make a Jana K3 if possible, but load bolts for sure and see how it do.

I'm honestly with you on this one. I wheeled my daily driver xj on 35s with 4.88 gears a lot. Everyone told me I was going to snap axle shafts like tooth picks and pinions would break and teeth would snap off the ring gear. None of this ever happened. I wheeled my jeep with the intention of driving it home. If I had a trailer I'm sure I would have destroyed everything in the dana30 in a heart beat.

I think it is well worth the time to improve upon the "weak link" inside the dana30 differential. This does not mean it is suddenly going to become a hardcore 40"+ tire axle all of a sudden. Maybe it will hold up better for guys running 35s and who don't want to spend all the money swapping to one ton axles.

·
Has Training Wheels
301 Posts
See red

I trussed and sleeved it after I bent and twisted the long side tube. Once it was strong enough to not turn into a pretzel if I hammered on it, that's when it started snapping gears.

I do wheel it harder than I should and that's why its getting the better front end.

Hind sight being what it is I should have just built the 44 to start with and I wouldn't have to worry about it needing dental work every time it catches a bit of air.

I hope it works out for you and I have a bunch of respect to those that can make a D30 work but I'm moving on to something better.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'm honestly with you on this one. I wheeled my daily driver xj on 35s with 4.88 gears a lot. Everyone told me I was going to snap axle shafts like tooth picks and pinions would break and teeth would snap off the ring gear. None of this ever happened. I wheeled my jeep with the intention of driving it home. If I had a trailer I'm sure I would have destroyed everything in the dana30 in a heart beat.

I think it is well worth the time to improve upon the "weak link" inside the dana30 differential. This does not mean it is suddenly going to become a hardcore 40"+ tire axle all of a sudden. Maybe it will hold up better for guys running 35s and who don't want to spend all the money swapping to one ton axles.
Exactly, well said. I'm not going throw 40's on D30. It's to run on 33-35's more reliably. And D30 have a ton more ground clearance than all bigger axles :laughing:

·
Registered
VerticalScope Sucks
22,738 Posts
I have to ask why you would not just run a JK housing? Or if the width/bolt pattern/whatever else is not ideal, why not take the JK housing and cut it to XJ width and put the knuckles back on it (which would also allow you to set caster/pinion angle).

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I have to ask why you would not just run a JK housing? Or if the width/bolt pattern/whatever else is not ideal, why not take the JK housing and cut it to XJ width and put the knuckles back on it (which would also allow you to set caster/pinion angle).
3 reasons-ish

Used JK housings/axle assemblies are like $1,000 :laughing::homer:

Width/bolt pattern not same as ZJ/TJ/MJ/XJ/YJ

1,000s of D30 to polish :)

·
Registered
VerticalScope Sucks
22,738 Posts
Used JK housings/axle assemblies are like $1,000 :laughing::homer:
That's weird because I've even seen them for not a lot of money in this part of the world.

I really regret not just buying a set of JK axles for my DD/milder than mild wheeler Comanche. But like I said, they seem to not be a lot of money.

·
Registered
316 Posts
That's weird because I've even seen them for not a lot of money in this part of the world.

I really regret not just buying a set of JK axles for my DD/milder than mild wheeler Comanche. But like I said, they seem to not be a lot of money.
A set of rubicon 44s in Ontario seem to be selling as high as 5g. D30/44 combo I have seen going for around 3g, I do agree the prices are insane

·
Registered
VerticalScope Sucks
22,738 Posts
A set of rubicon 44s in Ontario seem to be selling as high as 5g. D30/44 combo I have seen going for around 3g, I do agree the prices are insane
Damn. I had better part my JK out. The wrecker here doesn't even want that much. :homer:

Carl said a Jana K3 sounds promising :smokin:
That will be cool if it can be made to work fairly easy then.

·
Registered
VerticalScope Sucks
22,738 Posts
As a retarded side question, I wonder if D44 gears in a D30 could be possible? I suspect the hypoid offset is different since the D44 is physically a fair whack bigger, but it seems more of the Dana stuff is compatible than a guy would have guessed.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
just curious, did this get built?
Unfortunately no.

I measured and verified bearing sizes between Dana 30 and Super Dana 30. Spent time on a timken catalog and couldn’t really find any bearings that will work with Super Dana 30’s pinion shaft bearing ID and Dana 30 housing bore race OD. I decided to put this project on shelf as I don’t know with certain on if the pinion offset is the same between D30 and JKD30 and unable to find a hard data on D30 and JKD30 ring & pinion torque rating to justify continuing this project.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Unfortunately no.

I measured and verified bearing sizes between Dana 30 and Super Dana 30. Spent time on a timken catalog and couldn’t really find any bearings that will work with Super Dana 30’s pinion shaft bearing ID and Dana 30 housing bore race OD. I decided to put this project on shelf as I don’t know with certain on if the pinion offset is the same between D30 and JKD30 and unable to find a hard data on D30 and JKD30 ring & pinion torque rating to justify continuing this project.
Cool, Thanks. I have heard that the reverse cut R&P JKD30 is as strong at a low pinion D44 front. I have zero info to back this up though. Seems to me that if you have the extra parts laying around gathering dust - why not try it ? (with little to no cost except your time)

21 - 40 of 40 Posts