Pirate 4x4 banner

341 - 360 of 552 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Light bar: check. multiple square LEDs: check. Headlight mods: check... Ghey jk for sure!!!:flipoff2:

When is the last time either one of you ladies actually wheeled? Aside from web wheeling in GCC? I get to wheel in comfort and AC wth the JK, or if the wife and kids stay home I'll take the S&N fab buggy. Both have seen more trail time this year that you two combined I'm sure. Carry on:flipoff2:

·
Registered
785 Posts
Nice jeep man. Now that the JKs are getting older they are getting easier to find somewhat cheaply and gut and build.

F yea man.

Here's mine.

Kingpin dana 60 front, 14 bolt rear, 40" sticky treps. Cage is almost done, the new shop doesnt have power yet.

·
Registered
878 Posts
And most of the white ones have black accents while being called "StormTrooper" :shaking:
Things that JK owners do that drive me nuts.

1. Naming their jeeps.
2. Painting accents inside their jeeps.
3. Painting accents on the outside.
4. Aftermarket grilles.
5. Wheel without lockers.
6. Wheel without winches.
7. Refuse to regear.
8. Sleeve instead of truss.
9. "Build" dana 30's.
10. get excited over Rubicon dana 44's.
11. Snorkels.

·
Registered
75 Posts

1. Naming their jeeps.
4. Aftermarket grilles.
7. Refuse to regear.
9. "Build" dana 30's.
11. Snorkels.
I get 1-10. But what about 11? Where I wheel you either have a snoerkel or a flooded engine? Which really takes the fun out of wheeling....
But ofcourse I have a Suzuki Jimny, which is significantly smaller than a Jeep:D

·
Insurance poor
10,064 Posts
You just stick with your billet do dads and digital dash then. :flipoff2:
The only thing digital I have on my Jeeps is one has a digital clock on the tape deck radio. :homer:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I bought the wife a Rubicon, JK 4 years ago. Prior to that she drove a lifted expedition.

The JK has a 4 inch long arm, and 37's on real bead locks,5.38 gears, no gay ass lights, no color matched bull shit, and no 20's rims. The only mall crawler shit it has is the hydraulic folding step/ rocker guard, and that's just cause she's short and it makes it easier for my kids to get in.

It has been to Moab, and various other places around Texas, playing in the rocks.

We run it down on the beach with the kids almost every weekend. It has seen more beach miles than street miles. It pulls double duty, her daily consisting of about 10 miles a day , and our weekend beach cruiser.

A friend of hers calls one night and says she is buying a jeep, Okay cool I guess,

Wife; Hey she wants to know what to name her jeep?
Me; huh?
Wife; When she buys it she wants to know what to name it,
Me: Are you fucking serious?
Wife: Yes,
Me; hang up the phone she's a fucking retard.

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
When is the last time either one of you ladies actually wheeled? Aside from web wheeling in GCC? I get to wheel in comfort and AC wth the JK, or if the wife and kids stay home I'll take the S&N fab buggy. Both have seen more trail time this year that you two combined I'm sure. Carry on:flipoff2:
I get to wheel in the comfort of AC in my tacoma, added bonus is i dont have the stigma of being a power bottom like one does in a riced out JK.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
878 Posts
I get 1-10. But what about 11? Where I wheel you either have a snoerkel or a flooded engine? Which really takes the fun out of wheeling....
But ofcourse I have a Suzuki Jimny, which is significantly smaller than a Jeep:D
Eh I guess it really all depends on what kind of wheeling you do.

The JK can get pretty deep without any issues. I had water at the base of the shifter and it did fine, even with the electronic throttle submerged.

The trick is to not hit every water hole at wide open throttle, but so many people do it anyways.

I have had one buddy hydrolock a 2010jk and a 2014jk, all within 2 years of each other. USAA bought him a new motor both times.

·
Get Off My Lawn
13,255 Posts

1. Naming their jeeps.
Most of the rigs on here have names
most rock crawlers have accent colors everywhere
4. Aftermarket grilles.
it's always best to learn on open diffs
once again better to upgrade as you go than build before you know what you're even doing
7. Refuse to regear.
yes, that's way too common
Sleeves are better than the trusses. These axles bend outside the UCA mount where a truss doesn't add any protection
9. "Build" dana 30's.
JK 30's aren't the bitch axles of yesteryear. Plenty of beef to run 35-37" tires on moderate trails you'd feel comfortable wheeling a $30k daily driver.
not gonna lie, they're pretty pimp axles
11. Snorkels.
stock air box location is in a very vulnerable spot if you're into deep water.
You sure are an ignorant fuck for someone so judgmental.

·
Registered
878 Posts
You sure are an ignorant fuck for someone so judgmental.
What a nice guy.

1. Naming their jeeps.
Most of the rigs on here have names that aren't stupid, how many "khaleesi" or "stormtrooper" rigs do we have on here
most rock crawlers have accent colors everywhere pink D-rings, tow hooks, grille inserts, and door trim sure is cool
4. Aftermarket grilles.
it's always best to learn on open diffs unless you are the guy that has to pull them through everything
once again better to upgrade as you go than build before you know what you're even doing come on, a working winch is like $300
7. Refuse to regear.
yes, that's way too common
Sleeves are better than the trusses. These axles bend outside the UCA mount where a truss doesn't add any protection they break the tube or the casting much more often
9. "Build" dana 30's.
JK 30's aren't the bitch axles of yesteryear. Plenty of beef to run 35-37" tires on moderate trails you'd feel comfortable wheeling a $30k daily driver. 37's on a dana 30, great idea. this is coming from someone who wheeled 37's on a dana 30
not gonna lie, they're pretty pimp axles yea, for halfton axles that people try to sell for $5000 a set
11. Snorkels.
stock air box location is in a very vulnerable spot if you're into deep water.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,538 Posts
I cannot for the life of me understand the pavement queen mall crawlers with snorkels. Those things aren't cheap! Is it the new uber expensive elitist status symbol thing?
The Land Cruiser crowd is the same. If you drive in the rain suddenly you need a snorkel. It's just a stupid mod that nobody really needs. I mean I guess if you live in central America you might need one but in the US there are waste.

·
Get Off My Lawn
13,255 Posts
Man, just let these people enjoy their shit. Most of them have never been involved in any kind of car culture, ever. They certainly don't know anything about the hardcore off-road sport. And a brand new vehicle is absolutely the last thing a new driver needs to be wheeling hard.

Sure, lots of them have bad taste and get carried away with the spray paint of worse yet, plastidip. Who cares?

Why are you wheeling with people you don't like?

Yes, winches are cheap. Most guys getting into this with their JK's should invest in them. But a lot of guys who are just starting out don't know how to safely operate one. It's sad to say, but in a lot of cases, it's better they don't have them. Most would never think to use a tree saver.

You've been looking at too many Artech ads. They very rarely break the tube with sleeves. We have installed about 120 sets of sleeves and c-gussets without trusses. Never seen one break the tube. The key is to not plug weld them. There's no need to create stress risers like that. The tubes fit tight enough that simply welding them at the C is plenty.

With RCV's, a quality carrier and a realistic understanding of your limitations, the JK 30 is strong enough for moderate wheeling on 37's. I have dozens of customers doing it on the same 4 and 5 Dimond trails that guys in buggies enjoy cruising up.

For an axle that can be built to reliably run 37's on a 5k lb rig. Axles that come with high steer, disk brakes, selectable lockers, a nice width, large pinions, good ratios, convenient drain plugs and are decently light weight, they're pretty cool. Typically for 5k you can buy a set that already built too.

·
Registered
887 Posts
The Land Cruiser crowd is the same. If you drive in the rain suddenly you need a snorkel. It's just a stupid mod that nobody really needs. I mean I guess if you live in central America you might need one but in the US there are waste.
Always wondered about this. Over here pretty much everyone has a snorkel, as much for dust as for water crossings. But I rarely see them on US builds. Do you guys not do water crossings or not have bull dust?

Just curious.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,538 Posts
Always wondered about this. Over here pretty much everyone has a snorkel, as much for dust as for water crossings. But I rarely see them on US builds. Do you guys not do water crossings or not have bull dust?

Just curious.
We don't typically cross water that deep. Hell in California most deep crossings are illegal. Generally it's hood height or less.

·
Registered
22,758 Posts

Just curious.
We do, but the cool kids just hydrolock their motors every now and then, and have to change air filters a lot more often. :flipoff2:

I think it's more of there being other approaches to the problem, as opposed to the ARB solution that's standard in the land of oz. Most guys that run mud a lot have the air intake/filter relocated to in their cab, or behind the cab, or something like that, and for performance reasons they normally use large diameter (6"+) pipe to do this. Same with desert racers, and they often run extremely large filter elements so they take longer to plug. With water crossings, short of actually going full retard with sealing the electrical system, you're going to stop running from electrical issues right around the time the stock intake goes under water on many vehicles. Other vehicles benefit from a much milder intake relocation, or a tiny 'snorkel' that protrudes from the cowl or the hood by only a few inches. IE, on my daily driver Comanche I will probably move it to in the cowl at some point, just for insurance, since the factory airbox draws from a point lower than the distributor. If I ran an actual plastic snorkel off the side of the body, I'd smash it on something, guaranteed. Ultimately you can't ford water that submerges the driver, because we aren't fish, unless you're Fred, Fred did it.

341 - 360 of 552 Posts