Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up this 88 last weekend:

The Good: Removable hard top, toyota axles with 4" YJ springs and shackle kit. It has highsteer, 4.37's, lockright in the front, spartan in the rear and a twin stick 6.5:1.

The Bad:
  • A half assed plasti dipped job (my pressure washer should make quick work of it)
  • Looks like standard distributor oil leak, leaking axle hubs all the way around
  • Stripped out caliper bolt hole on the drivers side(helifix until I did into front axle rebuild?)
  • Dogshit welding on all the shock mounts and perches
  • No Cat (Stupid Oregon...)
  • Interior is mostly gutted
  • Plus a bunch of little stuff like the glove box door is half broken, vise grips for window cranks, heat is stuck on, no battery hold down

But one of the biggest things is the lack of parking brake:

Whats the best way to fix that?

All in all it seems like it has a lot of good parts with crap integration.Trying to do the basics to get it safe on the street now (its a second vehicle to me) and see where I want to take it with cage, bumpers and probably a 16V 1.6

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Looks like a good start for an off road toy. I’m in the same boat with no parking brake on toy axles. Definitely need one, as I’ve had to park against a tree many times to keep from slowly rolling away!

The front axle seals are located at the end of the tubes inside the knuckle balls. Those leak often. Get some marlin eco seals and hope for the best.

Don’t know how familiar you are with yota axles but easiest way to take the front axle/hub/rotor assembly off is the camo method. Basically remove hub dial and clip ring on axle stub, remove upper steering arm/nuts/cone washers. Then lift up and out on the whole hub/rotor assembly. Makes easy work of it as you don’t have to remove the hub from spindle and knuckle.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like a good start for an off road toy. I’m in the same boat with no parking brake on toy axles. Definitely need one, as I’ve had to park against a tree many times to keep from slowly rolling away!

The front axle seals are located at the end of the tubes inside the knuckle balls. Those leak often. Get some marlin eco seals and hope for the best.

Don’t know how familiar you are with yota axles but easiest way to take the front axle/hub/rotor assembly off is the camo method. Basically remove hub dial and clip ring on axle stub, remove upper steering arm/nuts/cone washers. Then lift up and out on the whole hub/rotor assembly. Makes easy work of it as you don’t have to remove the hub from spindle and knuckle.
That's awesome! I was cringing at having to dig into all of that just to get the rotors off :beer:

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spendy! Maybe just shove a stick in the spokes :flipoff2:
I'm pretty close to bolting a furring strip onto my plastic wheel chock so I can reach out the door with foot on the brake and shove under the appropriate tire...problem is some crack head around here would steal it...

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I finally started getting into this a few weeks ago, pulled the rear axle out since it leaks like a sieve and the perch/shock welds are dog shit. The passenger side perch fell off while I was grinding/hammering on the unneeded tabs in the way of the truss.

I switched over to the t case cradle/brake so I could get the driveline complete to verify perch alignment while the axle is off.

When I went to drain the tcase I was greeted with 2 cups of water and the beginnings of milk shake goo... How far down should I take the t case? It already has 6.5 and twin stick so I wasn't exactly planning on having to tear into it...

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice looking Samurai, looking forward to the progress. It's nice to see a current build thread on here. I'm currently rebuilding a Samurai that I picked up a few months back.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Samurai cases are easy to rebuild. Personally I'd say take the whole case apart and investigate for rust or any other issues, if none are found, just clean everything up real well, reassemble it, and fill it with fresh gear oil. And make sure it's got a breather that goes up high somewhere.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts