Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the PBB and didn't find any good solutions, so I thought I would throw this out for everyone.

Parts:
6-8" 9/16" course thread bolt. Get the diameter that fits your JJ's. Thread it down with a die.
9/16" nut
2- 9/16" washers
1" of 1 5/8" tubing
I used a Ford fuel pump lobe for the base, since it was 2.5" OD (same as JJ), and the recess would clear the JJ ear on compression. The lobe turned out to be a terrible idea, as it is made from the hardest material known to man, i think. My largest cobalt bit was only 1/2", so I just burned a hole with my mig welder. I'm good at that. :flipoff2:

ENJOY!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
Looks good.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
looks good but they make a tool for that the shop that makes all those is right across the driveway from me :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now you tell me!
What does their tool look like? I couldn't find any mention of a tool, or instructions on the Currie web site. I'm sure the guys would have given me good advice if I had called. O well, at least I have a tool, and it was cheap, if you don't count labor. :eek:

·
Registered
280 Posts
KingOf_Pain said:
Now you tell me!
What does their tool look like? I couldn't find any mention of a tool, or instructions on the Currie web site. I'm sure the guys would have given me good advice if I had called. O well, at least I have a tool, and it was cheap, if you don't count labor. :eek:
Looks good to me, so what are your experiences with JJ's, good /bad? I have been trying to decide if I want to use RE'S or JJ's, I have a good line on JJ's but I'm not sure about the poly inners. Any advise is appreciated, thanks. By the way, hows the project coming?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
i too want to know about this tool that already exists!!!!
nice work! so far i just pound the thing in with thw washer in place and pray that it stays down long enough to get the snap ring in.
thanks for shareingbtw on the question of re vs currie. i like the fact that on re's you can tighten up the joint and not have to replace the bushing with just alittle slop
currie if you get too loose you gotta replace.

·
Registered
824 Posts
i just used a BIG C-clamp like a ball joint press. and a large socket to push the bushing/washer in till I could snap the snap ring

but yours is a nice idea

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
I'm pretty sure poly performance sells a tool to do this. Yours is sweet though maybe this could be a tech article for this site, seems like alot of people had issues with JJ's.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ASH,
I had no experience with either the JJ's or the RE joints, till I tried putting a JJ together Thursday. Not much help to you, i know.
The project is coming along slowly. Just seems like everything I do takes forever, but thats ok. I just updated the "Starting another comp buggy" thread last week. Got the fenders/grill/hood fitted. Check it out!

vb,
Thanks.

xj4rocks,
Sounds like a good idea. Don't you have to place sockets on both ends? What size of socket has a OD of 2.5"? You must repair tractors for a living!

NE-RokToy
Dave sells a spanner wrench for the RE units he sells.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Welding them and not skrewing up the threads is the hard part, i just tapped mine together with a big socket and a hammer.

BTW whats the difference between the JJ and the RE, i have the RE, because They were available and cheap when i got them, but never looked into any other brands.

Ian-

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
KrustyKruiser said:
BTW whats the difference between the JJ and the RE, i have the RE, because They were available and cheap when i got them, but never looked into any other brands.

Ian-
The RE design uses the threaded disc with set screw for preload with the washer/ret ring on the opposing side.(as you already know)

The Currie joint uses a washer/ret ring on both sides.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
What does the currie joint go for.
What bolt sizes do they take.
Just want to know for future projects, i was thinking that the setup would work better with clips on both sides, because i skrewed up two outers when welding them. i got replacements, but it shorted me 50 bucks.
thanks

Ian-

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
i buy the curries already assembled with the bolt welded to it and i think its 45ich each

·
Registered
280 Posts
Sorry to bring this back up, but I have had people tell me to run poly bushings on the frame ends of my links. When I ask why they say to help stop wheel hop, so my question is do the JJ's help this or is that not true about the poly bushings? JJ's use poly in them right? Right now I have 2 RE joints and have had no problems with welding to them, I do like the fact that you can use a spanner wrench to assemble them, and that the inners are a hard plastic. I have not had a chance to run them yet as my POS is still in the process of build up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts