Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the exact inside diameters of the metal outer sleeves of the large and small JJ's?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Really Sick Rigs said:
Anyone know the exact inside diameters of the metal outer sleeves of the large and small JJ's?
Thanks
i could find out for you as i have a few spare ones i will never use and i have 3 on my rig which i cant wait to take off
jj suck
hey your welcome to buy them off me
if your interested, i will take pics for you let me know

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
i had put them in my lower links and after only about 6 trips they needed to be rebuilt due excess movement within the outer cage ,so i had swapped them for hiems, now i have two in my upper links which need to be changed asap because of the same thing
i do miss the slight dampening effect from the jj but i dont want to rebuild them every 5 trips plus they are a pain to rebuild especially when they are welded to one end of your links

·
Union Fab Works
4,448 Posts
hmmmm, wasn't aware they wore out so quick...my last set was in a rig i sold after about 5 trail runs, and they still seemed pretty tight...

What is the pain about rebuilding them? Seems pretty simple, pull a link out at a time and do it on the bench?

·
Registered
181 Posts
The urathane on the JJ will change a bit during the first few trips and will get a little lose, it does not mean you have to rebuild them. Currie sells different thickness washers to adjust the pre-load on the urathane. Once they settle after a few trips you should not have to make any changes. It is critical to use a good quality grease with them.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
to do it you need a press as the new bushings dont just go in easy and while they are in the press you have to put the retaining clip in around the right size tube to press fit them in , its a pain and worse when the links are attached and after all that work they dont last long

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
It was probably the indian not the arrow. I ran them in my rig, and have seen them hold up to years of abuse in other rigs with no needed adjustment. I'll take a JJ over a heim any day of the week.

·
Union Fab Works
4,448 Posts
the work involved with installing them was discussed last week, and by the time i finished 16 of them, i could do one in less than 10 minutes...no big deal...

im going with them again, i thought you were going to bring up some new awful thing about them. Sounds like you forgot to grease them.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
i now have 1 1/4 heims on the lowers and had no trouble since, i will be putting on 7/8 hiems on the uppers soon
i have about 10 jj joints going cheap two are the big ones never been used
if you guys like them so much, buy them , i dont want them
let me know if you want pics
if somebody wants to come and pick them up they can have the two new ones for $20 and i will give you the rest, but only if you pick them up
i dont need the money and dont want to deal with shipping

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
GOAT1 said:
Hendo: were you using actual Johnny Joints from Currie or one of the copies out there from Daystar or others? I have had real good luck with actual Currie JJ's and not so good luck with the Daystar ones.
yes i even went to curry to get them

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
i just modelled the 2-5.8" ones and the 3" ones in solid works.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nobody can give me some numbers on these.....I'm trying to source a rubber bushing replacement for the inside of these JJ's

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Hendo said:
i had put them in my lower links and after only about 6 trips they needed to be rebuilt due excess movement within the outer cage ,so i had swapped them for hiems, now i have two in my upper links which need to be changed asap because of the same thing
i do miss the slight dampening effect from the jj but i dont want to rebuild them every 5 trips plus they are a pain to rebuild especially when they are welded to one end of your links
My results have been about the same... I run JJ's in the front and RE joints in the rear. The RE joints were shot after about 6 months. Basically I have 1-1/4" heims at the axle end and the RE's at the frame end in the rear and the heims are great after 2.5 years now but the RE's have about 1/8-1/4" movement in them :barf: Everytime I change directions I get a nice THUNK as the pinion flops around from the slack.

The front JJ's have been in for about a year now and all 8 are loose to about 1/16-1/8". Even managed to shear one of Curries greasable 9/16" bolts in half on the 2nd trip out. I'm not even going to try and pull all the links out and install thicker washers so it can happen again in 6 months. Just going to swap the entire truck out to 1-1/4" heims and be done with it for a while.

Then again, my results may not be typical due to a fat bitch of a truck I run :shaking:

·
Registered
605 Posts
I don't really think it has everything to do with the weight issue.. I run them front and rear in my zuk and it is real light.. i didn't notice any significant slop for the first 6-8 times out.. But after going through my rig after the last 5 consecutive barrel rolls there is a shit ton of slop.. I probably just didn't notice it until i really got down and replaced broken y-link etc.. But they are so sloppy I am not even sure what has gone on inside of them, as i haven't pulled them apart..

Not really sure how much rolls/flops would effect the slop in them??

Alls I know is I now have 6 JJ's to replace..I am gonna keep a close eye on them this time and see how quick they develop slop..Yes igrease them regularly..

What gives though? some say they have never had a problem with slop in multiple years and some have the shitty clunky slop in only a handful of runs??

Any other info??

Later, Scott

1 - 19 of 19 Posts