Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I could find some joints to build a custom steering shaft? I need one joint that will attach to a stock s-10 steering column and the other needs to fit a Jeep CJ steering box (with power steering). I've been looking at a Flaming River shaft but have decided to try and build my own first.
Any help would be great

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Thats kinda what I did with my toy-chevy setup. Just cut each one off about a foot after the joints I wanted to keep. Then sleved and welded in a piece of pipe over them. It's not prety but works just fine.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I had for last year but since I can't weld yet I had a buddy weld it up for me. The only prob is that he really Fawked it up and butt welded the two shafts (no deal, Way too booty fab for me). I told him not to do it this way but he did it anyway. Plus to addto the fact that both joints on the shaft were done, so when i torque the shaft wheeling it rubs big time on the header.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I know some toyota shafts use a nice u-joint at the box. I think they come only in the 4wd trucks. A buddy used one on a 74 chevy 4wd steering box to get rid of the rubber rag joint. I don't know if it is direct bolt on to the box, but something to look into.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts