Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ok, so I bought these: They are dodge flat top knuckles. I got the guy to throw in a set of warn premium hubs. I made it out the door (with shipping) for $480. I have called every wrecking yard in town and they want like $150 a knuckle so that puts me to $300. Then I'd have to buy hubs, spindles, calipers, etc, etc and who knows where that would put me. I feel like I am getting a decent deal since it will reduce the amount of time I have to spend screwing around looking for stuff.

Here is what I got:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tem=370111074694&ssPageName=ADME:B:BODO:MOT:1

If I bought something retarded, please tell me now! I have that guy under a "yes these will fit and let you run high steer" kind of guarantee.

It'll get me over to 5 on 5.5 and I'll run the adapters in the rear. If I scare up some dollaz I could run the super 88 kit from superior axle and gear which will let me run 5 on 4.5 or 5 on 5.5.

I'll then have to machine the knuckle and drill/tap for studs. I'll have to scare up cone washers and nuts. I'll then have to dig up some super thick steel stock to machine steering arms. I might have to buy a few tools (like a reamer) to pull this off, but I think it is in the realm of possibility has anyone ever pulled the machining off? I have read that you are just supposed to mirror the driver side knuckle and then build your steering arms off of that.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Same vote

Jeepblog, I'm in the same vote as you. I'm doing a 76 CJ5 build pretty much like you. I'm going with 35" tires and now I'm figuring out my SOA. I was going to try to keep in SUA, but I would have to cut a lot of metal off the tub. My plan so far is Scout II width. I bought a couple of waggy front d44's, got 3 flat top knuckles out of the deal. The one front end came hub to hub, but has 6 lug pattern, I'm going to stay 5x5.5, so I'm looking to use ford hubs. I have big bearing spindles that I've been told wont work and have to look for small bearing spindles. So I'm a bit confused that the kit you have comes with big bearing spindles. I'm just curious what rotors use those big bearing spindles with 5x5.5 lug pattern. As far and doing the machining on those knuckles, there's a few sites that talk about it. Here is a blue print of one I found.

Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Grumpy_one

The knuckles that I am getting are dodge flat tops. I will be keeping the knuckle-out as dodge parts. Hopefully this works. I am aware that people swear by the chevy/ford knuckle-spindle bearing hub combo (at least there is a lot of information). I do not know what the ramifications are with a dodge knuckle, as there seems to be very little information on the them. I will keep good notes and good information of this modification on the blog to serve as an example of accomplishing (hopefully) hi steer on a waggy axle with dodge knuckles-out.

Comments?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Insofar as machining DIY, I priced out the face mill and do not know if I can justify the tool purchase of around $100. John Nutter has a killer price for machining of something like $65 + $11 shipping to him. I could probably find the face mill for the same amount, but then I'd also have to build the holding fixture and everything (it doesn't look too complicated if you dig through his photos). Then again, I would also have a 3" face mill which I would like to have. We'll see how inspired I feel when I go to the machine tool shop.

I cannot find anywhere to get the steel blanks to build the arms. I am well aware that mild steel is not an option. I will have to call around in phoenix to see where I can get billet steel blanks. If I could get each blank for like $20, then I'll at least machine my own arms. I'd also have to scare up one of those reamers + studs + cone washers + nuts.

Also that schematic you sent doesn't jive with others I have seen, maybe I am reading it incorrectly. At any rate, I was going to mirror whatever the knuckle I get has on it for spacings.

The standard seems to be this:

Here is the article with that schematic (one of the many great articles I've come across, each one gives a little piece of the puzzle):
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Dana44.htm

Thoughts?

My imagination has been stirred by billavista's dana 60 knuckles, read his article. Those tabs are amazing!
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-BV60/index4.html

21 - 28 of 28 Posts