Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know if those AL bodies from JP offroad are lighter than a regular steel body and if so, how much? I am thinking of getting the competition series that is skinnier but I was hoping to be able to drop a good amount of weight off the top when I did it.

·
Registered
11,082 Posts
I would think that the narrow alum body would be a little lighter...

For all that work required why not just tube out your jeep?

·
pro web-wheeler
21,640 Posts
The stock-size aluminum bodies are only a few pounds lighter than your stock steel tub, but the trade off is that the aluminum is about 10 times stronger...maybe more... We got our aluminum body when the budget was tight and I was wondering if I would end up regretting the choice as I could have spent that $ elsewhere (axles)...I have ended up calling the money spent on the JP body an investment as I have beaten and bashed it heavilly and it is still looking near perfect...with steel or fiberglass, I would have had to replace the body 6 or 7 times by now in order to have a good looking rig the whole time.
I know that the skinny model is at least 100 pounds lighter, but it could even be more...
Instead of asking here, why don't you call Dave at JP and ask as he can fill you in on the whole deal. (509) 893-1488

·
Registered
531 Posts
omg lets roll that thing out of the garage before we change the body!!!!!!!!!1

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
second that, just call Dave...super nice guy. Plus, its got bling factor! Id bet that the al is no lighter than the same size steel body (I have a full body one, and it is definatly not light....well, now that I trimmed a bunch, it is...)

Now the half cab bodies are also worth looking into...they are definatly lighter.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He called me back and he said that the skinny comp. body only weighs 190 pounds. He said the stock version weighs about 300. which is about the same as a stock steel body

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Get one of the half cabs and build just a little tube work for your coilover mounts and tank.

If you have seen "The Itch" that was built in 4wheel drive and sport utility, that's what I'm talking about. Looks cool.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
weight up top is bad, sooo bad. I want to be 4000 pounds. 2500 unsprung, 1500 sprung. It wont be easy or cheap but that is my goal.

·
Registered
179 Posts
weight up top is bad, sooo bad.
So you better not let Big John Ride with you?:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
jeeper111 said:
weight up top is bad, sooo bad. I want to be 4000 pounds. 2500 unsprung, 1500 sprung. It wont be easy or cheap but that is my goal.
good luck
i am trying to stay under 3000lbs with a gokart on murray axles and a 5 horse briggs :D

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
RedBullJeep said:
The stock-size aluminum bodies are only a few pounds lighter than your stock steel tub, but the trade off is that the aluminum is about 10 times stronger...maybe more... We got our aluminum body when the budget was tight and I was wondering if I would end up regretting the choice as I could have spent that $ elsewhere (axles)...I have ended up calling the money spent on the JP body an investment as I have beaten and bashed it heavilly and it is still looking near perfect...with steel or fiberglass, I would have had to replace the body 6 or 7 times by now in order to have a good looking rig the whole time.
I know that the skinny model is at least 100 pounds lighter, but it could even be more...
Instead of asking here, why don't you call Dave at JP and ask as he can fill you in on the whole deal. (509) 893-1488
I have to disagree with ya. I have had two Mallotte fiberglass bodies and they have held up great(CJ-5,CJ-7) The fiberglass will crack but it does hold its shape very well. I lost count of how many times I have rolled. I have competed in everything. I have seen those JP tubs take some serious abuse but, the do lose there shape(dent). If I wanted a narrowed comp body then I think the JP narrowed tub is the right choice. But for full size fiberglass is a great choice. Besides they are only $800 what is a JP tub? (If I had the money I would buy a JP tub for a trail only rig)

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
frankie finland said:
good luck
i am trying to stay under 3000lbs with a gokart on murray axles and a 5 horse briggs :D
no, we way 400 lbs, put some solid axels under this and you are ready to go

·
pro web-wheeler
21,640 Posts
KYODER said:

I have to disagree with ya. I have had two Mallotte fiberglass bodies and they have held up great(CJ-5,CJ-7) The fiberglass will crack but it does hold its shape very well. I lost count of how many times I have rolled. I have competed in everything. I have seen those JP tubs take some serious abuse but, the do lose there shape(dent).
I have one fiberglass rig and one aluminum rig...anyone seeing me compete knows the abuse I put them through and I have to say I have to do 6 hours worth of fiberglass work per event compared to 15 minutes with a piece of sandpaper smoothing any scratches in the aluminum...I have both and I tell you, aluminum is FAR better.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Hey REDBULL

You don't have a fiberglass Jeep tub, you have some lightweight fiberglass panels on that truck. My point was for the full bodied Jeep tubs. The panels on your truck sit out there with no support. You cannot compare the two. BTW I have seen you drive(thrash about). :)

Kevin

1 - 20 of 29 Posts