Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I guess I should start my build thread. Since I have a small shop the Toy is getting the axle put in outside:( as there is my dads CJ7 and a Skys Extreme single seater in my way inside. So here are the details. Since its going into a Toyota truck the best and fastest way to do this was buy the Yukon Dana 60 Toyota kit. It came with 35 spline chromo shafts, housing ends, bearings and seals. I also ordered the new Trail Gear bearing cups. The links will all be shod with Ruffstuff 1.25 Heims, Trusses, mounts, brackets along with 2"x14" Fox Air shocks. Here are a few pictures to start you off.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got the tubes cut down, and the housing ends machined to fit the housing. Also welded in the housing ends and got the axle bearings pressed on. Just waiting for parts now. -JRAT

Attachments

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Looks REALLY cool! If you decide you want another tester that will see a bunch of road miles and is relatively local....you let me know. :p

·
Registered
9,370 Posts
That's such a ugly looking rig for such a bad ass piece of art :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
cool , i guess. to be honest I would have liked to see that axle put behind something that would actually put it to the test. lets face it,,the axle that was in the toyota was probably well suited to the truck. :(

still a cool axle, just not the "test" mule I think we were all hoping for.

500hp pushing 40"s in a rig capable of KOH style desert speed is the showcase I was personally hoping for.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
cool , i guess. to be honest I would have liked to see that axle put behind something that would actually put it to the test. lets face it,,the axle that was in the toyota was probably well suited to the truck. :(

still a cool axle, just not the "test" mule I think we were all hoping for.

500hp pushing 40"s in a rig capable of KOH style desert speed is the showcase I was personally hoping for.

Did you not see this shit in the other thread (the one actually about the axle...):

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=73135

Why shouldn't the dude building these run one in his truck? would be way more lame to pimp a product he hadn't run :flipoff2:

keep up the good work jrat

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Did you not see this shit in the other thread (the one actually about the axle...):

Why shouldn't the dude building these run one in his truck? would be way more lame to pimp a product he hadn't run :flipoff2:
I think what Camo was trying to say is a good majority of people looking at this axle are going to be cranking out more power then that 4 banger. He titled this thread " Tester Build " That's great, put one in your own truck, but test it in trucks with some power and stickies.

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts

keep up the good work jrat
I see it now :smokin:

and for sure he should run his own product and right on that he has a cool trail toy wheeler. I dig that. but honestly, the build of this toy truck doesn't do anything for me or many others wanting one of his axles. there is just nothing that rig is capable of that would convince me the axle is going to work in my application.

·
Registered
14,457 Posts
There are a number of guys running 60s in Toyotas, so I see this as showing the versatility of the axle for other applications. Maybe it won't show it being pushed to its limits, but it will likely provide input on using the axle in certain applications.

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
I think what Camo was trying to say is a good majority of people looking at this axle are going to be cranking out more power then that 4 banger. He titled this thread " Tester Build " That's great, put one in your own truck, but test it in trucks with some power and stickies.
exactly.

I am not bashing jason or the axle.

for many, the axle is a candidate for their high performance, high HP rigs with big sticky tires that will see extreme usage. I just think if the axle is going to be used in high performance racing applications, then I would like to see it tested in that environment.

I see the other target market in the V8 streetable jeep market. It would be cool to see this in a heavy V8 jeep running it in the High pinion mode. that would give us an idea of long term oiling of the design.

anyhow this is a great start... lets see how the thing does for the toy truck trail rigs :smokin:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
exactly.

I am not bashing jason or the axle.

for many, the axle is a candidate for their high performance, high HP rigs with big sticky tires that will see extreme usage. I just think if the axle is going to be used in high performance racing applications, then I would like to see it tested in that environment.

I see the other target market in the V8 streetable jeep market. It would be cool to see this in a heavy V8 jeep running it in the High pinion mode. that would give us an idea of long term oiling of the design.

anyhow this is a great start... lets see how the thing does for the toy truck trail rigs :smokin:

Yup and I was just pointing out that you guys are overlooking the other rigs these things are going into :grinpimp: Like the Ben Hanks Racing buggy... looks like they will do a pretty good job testing this thing out :smokin:

If anything I would say that having it tested by a plethora (big words here :flipoff2:) of rigs would show it's usefulness to customers more than just by putting it in a couple of bling bling high HP rigs that most people will never have

Opinions are like assholes though right

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes the reason I desided to put this in my rig was #1 i can do some of the testing myself. #2 I can make sure the thing oils down the road. #3 I have more control of the testing. Also I know that the toyota isnt bling and itsnt the best tester but I will take it anywhere any time thats why its 7 years old and looks like it does. I have rolled that thing 18 times, went through 4 starters from the rolls, 4 pairs of leaf springs for the front, 6 shocks in the rear, 4 rear driveshafts 3 front drive shafts, 2 sets of rear shafts, rebuilt the cage 3 times. However the main reason is to test oiling and road worthyness.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
exactly.

:smokin:
While I am not a tester, I am order #1 and it is going in the front of a streetable TJ on 40's so hopefully I'll be able report back some results in that arena in the not to distant future as well.

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
However the main reason is to test oiling and road worthyness.
how many highway miles do you anticipate putting on the axle in your toyota in the next 6 months ? and how much does it weight ? what size tires will you be running for the test ?

I agree that the oiling is a huge part of the testing that needs to be done.

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
While I am not a tester, I am order #1 and it is going in the front of a streetable TJ on 40's so hopefully I'll be able report back some results in that arena in the not to distant future as well.
perfect !!

will you be running it in High Pinion configuration ? what gear set and ratio ?

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
Did someone say 500 horse ? hehe - I am lacking the Koh capable part- But Certainly have the tire size and such-Jess

1 - 20 of 38 Posts