Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 1866 Posts

·
OG13 King
7,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One can only wheel the same ol' junk for so long!
The Fat City bronco was built in '01.
Time for a change.
Since I like the components in the Fat City bronco, and have no intention of competing, I decided to keep them (with a little massaging) and rebuild the old chassis.
Eric did a fine job with the old chassis but to keep up with today's trails, the overall dimensions could be smaller, IMO.
The main frame rails are now made of 1-1/2", .120 chromo.
The door rails are 50" apart. The wheel base will be 105" and track at 78" outside tire. We expect a 250-300 lb. drop in weight.
The skins will be made up of a combination of steel, Lexan and fiberglass.

The old bronco cost $80k total to build and most of it was used in this build.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,037 Posts
Sweet jesus, I never realized that it cost so much to build the last one. I just saw it the other day in one of the mags and thought to myself what a staple of the whole offroading world that that "bronco" had become. Sad to see you getting rid of it, but at least you aren't going with a one-seater. Looks good.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
:smokin:

I hate you guys and your 3 week builds :flipoff2:

Other than weight and width (both good things), anything else changing? Still mog-9's and the Ford Engine?

·
Registered
945 Posts
If rob is building it theres no doubt that its gonna turn out rightous

·
Registered
993 Posts
no 2 stroke?

·
OG13 King
7,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WOLF359 said:
:smokin:

I hate you guys and your 3 week builds :flipoff2:

Other than weight and width (both good things), anything else changing? Still mog-9's and the Ford Engine?
The inside will have more leg room so that bigger people that I don't know can drive it.
Still using the mog-9s, but with new housings 3-1/4" axle tubes and 2" narrower.
Same motor but it gets a different cam, bigger injectors, bigger throttle body and exhaust. FPS, the motor builder gives it another 80 hp (520 hp, total)
I dig power :D
It will be shod with 42" Irok rubber.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
i had heard you were gettin it re-built. it looks fuggin awesome jr, but I would expect nothin less from the guy building it.

can't wait to see it out at the hammers and hopefully you'll let me drive again ;) :D

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
I seem to recall you saying something about rebuilding it with a little more high-speed action in mind...? What are you doing for that? bypass shocks? airbumps? major axle trussing?

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
JR said:
The inside will have more leg room so that bigger people that I don't know can drive it.
Still using the mog-9s, but with new housings 3-1/4" axle tubes and 2" narrower.
Same motor but it gets a different cam, bigger injectors, bigger throttle body and exhaust. FPS, the motor builder gives it another 80 hp (520 hp, total)
I dig power :D
It will be shod with 42" Irok rubber.
Awesome! I knew you'd be doing soething new sooner or later. no matter how smokin cool a rig is, a man needs a change every so often.

I'm glad you're making it a bit roomier inside - maybe I'll have another opp to drive it sometime without crunching my knees into the dash...

Can't wait to see it finished JR!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
You stole my chassis design.... :flipoff2:

I looks real good so far. Mine is pretty simaler from the dash back, but not quite as pretty.

1 - 20 of 1866 Posts