Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Figured I would start a thread on my latest project. Been working on it for a couple of months. Progress has been slow, but steady. End state will be 115" wb, and 14" Ballistic air shocks at all four corners with 42" Iroks. D60's have been in the Jeep for some time,along with the 3 link front. The rear will be four linked with 1.25" heims and 2" x .250 DOM with the lowers being sleeved with 1.5" x .250 DOM There are several pieces for the cage/back half that are not in the photos. They will be tacked into place and welded once we pull the cage out. The back half pieces will then be bent/notched/fitted. Still lot's to do and I will update when I have something new to show.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have looked at his build and several others gathering ideas. Lots of Juggy's out there for inspiration :smokin:. One thing I have learned during this build is that bending tube can be frustrating yet rewarding at the same time :laughing:

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update for this weekend : Set the wheelbase at 115", mocked up the rear 4- link, bent and notched/fitted the bars for the B pillar support, re-installed the hood and a few other minor items taken care of. I had intended on putting in the hood pins, but realized that I needed a 1.25" hole saw after the hardware store had closed...:laughing:. A few pics of this weekends progress.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The frame brackets are the PolyPerformance rear 4 link brackets along with a PolyPerformance truss. The axle brackets (not on the axle yet) are from Ballistic Fab and are angled at 10* to match the lower link angle from the frame mount.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Yeah damn! I was wanting to use the Poly brackets, but they are so flippin expensive! I used the front kit on my rig and they are good stuff though. $200 plus for a set of brackits is hard to dish out.. Nice build..

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks dude....I agree, the brackets are a bit pricey, but...they are well constructed and the angles are already figured out. The plus side, I got the truss from a buddy for next to nothing:smokin:.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Yeah damn! I was wanting to use the Poly brackets, but they are so flippin expensive! I used the front kit on my rig and they are good stuff though. $200 plus for a set of brackits is hard to dish out.. Nice build..
KORE has their own version of those 4 link frame brackets for $200.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A couple of you have questioned the use of the stock B pillar. When I took out the old cage, I cut a section off of the B pillar to examine it. It measured 2.25" in diameter and was approximately .120 in wall thickness. I do not forsee a problem using the stock B pillar when it is part of a well designed cage. There have been several Jeeps built that have used the original B pillar as part of well designed cage (kirbyv for example) that have not had any issues. Now, I would not use any other pieces from the factory roll bar setup. The seams on mine have been welded and I am confident that it will be structurally sound when it is completed. Some will disagree, but so be it. Now, if I was building a comp rig, I would replace everything because it would need to endure repeated rollovers and hard flops. For what I will be doing, having the stock B pillar will not be an issue.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Time to work on the Jeep has been in short supply lately, but I did manage to get a couple of hours to work on it today. The rear section of the tube work will have an enclosed and lockable box built into it. The tubeing for that and the area that the fuel cell will occupy has been cut and fitted. I am toying with the idea of not running my rear down bars all the way to the end of the rear, but instead running them the way I have the blue tape laid out. Does anyone see any structural issues if run this way? If so, please voice your concerns and opinions. A few pics of the Jeep as it sits right now.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Better view of the way I am planning on running the rear down bars.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Had a few hours to kill today, so I got the rear down bars cut and fitted. There is still some bracing to add, but that should be completed by the end of the Saturday.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Was able to get some work done yesterday. The rear backhalf/cage is 90% finished and the rear axle was set for a 115" WB and the rear four link is almost finished, just need to build the lower arms and plan out where my bumpstops need to go. The airshocks are set at a 10* angle to the axle and a 4* angle to the vehicle. A few pics for your viewing pleasure :flipoff2:.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Spent yesterday working on the Jeep. The links are done, all cage/back half work is completed (minus mounting the fuel cell and skins) and I still have to get the seats mounted and several loose ends to tie up. Some pics below. The links are 2" .250 DOM with 1.25" heims at each end.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 153 Posts