Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There will be more details posted shortly, but for now, we need some help.:) We have 2 pallets of concrete we need to get from Steve Morris' s house, 7059 Miami in Tahoma, to just above Morris Rock (top of Cadillac Hill).

Steve has been gracious and allowed us to store the concrete at his house, so please be courteous and make sure we leave the area clean and tidy.

What we need right now is to have people grab a few bags on there way into the Trail and drop it off in preparation for the July 17-20 workparty. Please make sure that the concrete doesn't interfere with the trail and that it is well tarped at Steve's and on the trail. I would think with it being 4th of July weekend there should be a lot of traffic going in, so we should be able to make short work of it! We found it useful in the past, to put the bags in a plastic garbage bag so it doesn't get your gear dirty. Then use the bag for your weekends trash.

More details to follow about specifics on the work party, but I can add now that that we are working in conjunction with the Jeepers Jamboree work weekend and should accomplish a lot of work on Cadillac and hopefully the Graves area if time permits. Thanks to RSSI and Jeepers Jamboree, workers will be able to camp in the Springs for free and they will cook the food that RTF is providing the work crews. What I need NLT July 9th, is what days you can be there and how many people I need to ensure get fed. :grinpimp:

If you are traveling in on late Thursdaythe 17th or Friday the 18th, please be aware of work going on at Cadillac and especially Friday until approx 5-6 pm that it may be " occupied by a broken bag of wet concrete" :) and try to avoid until it is set.

If you are available to help with the work on 17/18th before the weekend please contact me directly.

Feel free to call me, Eric Agee, at 530-401-0800.

Thanks for your help and patients on the trail!

Eric

·
Registered
6 Posts
Eric, I can move in some concrete this Friday morning 7/10, if it will be ready. As much as can fit in my 4-door. Unfortunately, I can't be there on the 17th-18th. Let me know if there is anything else I can do/provide!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Eric, I can move in some concrete this Friday morning 7/10, if it will be ready. As much as can fit in my 4-door. Unfortunately, I can't be there on the 17th-18th. Let me know if there is anything else I can do/provide!
All we can ask is what people can do and every little bit helps. I'll get you the info to sign so we can get credit for the hours. Pm my your contact info.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
4,903 Posts
Eric, I'm leading a group from Loon to Tahoe that weekend. We plan to go up Cadillac on the 19th. Depends what time we go through I guess? If the work is still going on, we have no problems stopping and lending a hand.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Jeep School: The concrete is at the address mentioned in post #1 I took 14 sacks in yesterday and started a pile right at the top of Morris Rock. If you don't get the Volunteer Timesheet from Eric, there is a blank copy on top of the concrete stack at the address in Tahoma. Fill it in and leave it there for the next person. Don't forget to include your travel time from the time you leave your house to your return. Have fun.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Eric, I'm leading a group from Loon to Tahoe that weekend. We plan to go up Cadillac on the 19th. Depends what time we go through I guess? If the work is still going on, we have no problems stopping and lending a hand.
That would be greatly appreciated. We plan on getting the last of the concrete and pre pour work done on Thursday and Friday. Will start making concrete at daybreak near Morris first and time permitting at V Rock next. This could make for a late exit on Saturday.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So the plan is to move any remaining concrete from Steve Morris's house to the top of Morris Rock on Thursday and Friday. Also we will be prepping the area to reinforce the existing gabions.

On Friday, we will finish this up and get all the equipment set up to be ready to go at daybreak on Saturday morning. I hope to be done by 1 or 2 pm and will open up Cadillac as quickly as possible!

If you can be there to help with the prep, let me know so we can account for food for you in the Springs on those nights. Jeepers will be preparing our dinner on Saturday, but I need a head count ASAP if you plan on joining us for dinner and camping in the springs with us.

There is a time sheet at Steve Morris's house. If you are able to help bring concrete before then, please document your time and include round trip travel time from your home and the time spent helping (even if only a bag or two will fit). This is very important!

Was wanting to check to see who may have taken some bags from Morris to elsewhere on the trail and where they ended up. John brought 16 bags in already and when Doug brought another 12 bags in, he only saw 3 left there. We will need ALL of this concrete to take care of the two spots on Cadillac, so if you moved it to use elsewhere on the trail. PM me off line so we can take care of it.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
IS IT TRUE??? the trail is closing at Cadillac Hill, what about people that need to get out? will you give access to get through?
Yes, it will be closed from daybreak until about 5 or 6 on Saturday the 19th, while pouring concrete and let it set up. That is the purpose of the advance notice.

Obviously, if there is a medical emergency, all bets off, but shy of that, grab a bag of concrete, sign the roster and help wrap it up.:)

This has happened for the past several years while performing needed maintenance on Cadillac to prevent erosion.

While this can't be set in stone yet, it is my plan to perform this type of trail closing maintenance (obviously only if needed) the same weekend every year, the weekend before the big Jeepers Trip as they are gracious enough to let us camp with them and feed the volunteers working on the trail. That way people can plan their exit/entrance around it.

The last thing we need to do is give those that would have the trailed closed forever any ammunition! Thanks for your understanding and cooperation and hope to see you up there to lend a hand!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know it may be frustrating, but it is a county maintained road and unfortunately every once in a while there are road closures. At least this one is in a beautiful spot and with friends that make it easier to handle.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I know it may be frustrating, but it is a county maintained road and unfortunately every once in a while there are road closures. At least this one is in a beautiful spot and with friends that make it easier to handle.
Eric is right, but......it is still work that needs to be done and we need volunteers that can get in and get their hands, knees, shirts, pants, maybe a sore back, dirty.

Please, step in and help. this portion of the the trail is always in need of "Love".

It is a labor of love that never ends!

Jerry

·
Team 261 - VP
4,870 Posts
Eric nailed it...grab a shovel...and help out.

Last Cadillac Project, a couple from NEW YORK!!! Got stopped by our project...they didn't whine or complain....the guy helped out...they came to our dinner in the springs and actually won a FOTR historical shovel in the raffle and made new friends.

There are the people that when life throws lemons at you....they make Lemonade....and then there are the others.

·
Premium Member
4,903 Posts
Definitely wasn't trying to avoid doing work on the trail. I was more curious on what days the work was happening since the first post wasn't so clear. I've been on a number of FOTR work weekends and am no stranger to helping out to get a job done.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Definitely wasn't trying to avoid doing work on the trail. I was more curious on what days the work was happening since the first post wasn't so clear. I've been on a number of FOTR work weekends and am no stranger to helping out to get a job done.
No problems:) Look forward to seeing you up there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts