Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a gorgeous day, about 80*. The load was a ford tractor, ~8K~, My Imperial is a tri-axle,gooseneck, 16K GVW. I know the trailer itself is 4300 empty. I had to go about 20 miles to get the thing, and went through "4" tires during the trip! :eek: 3 were carlisle 225 75R 15's load range "D", one was an "ameriway" (or some nonsense) :shaking:
Attatched is a pic of just how the tread delaminated from the carcass. I'm more disappointed than pissed, as I guess I am now lucky that I will new tires on the trailer for my next Badlands trip. Just a "Heads up" CARLISLE TIRES SUCK! :(

Attachments

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
weps said:
Just a "Heads up" CARLISLE TIRES SUCK! :(
Just a "Heads up", there was a whole fawking thread on this last week. May have even been a 2 pager. :flipoff2:

Pete

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Yea, they suck!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Yup, it was discussed a few weeks ago. Those are the same tires I have, they do suck. I blew 2 on the last trip (luckily I carry lots of spares on long trips) and one blew one of the fenders off the trailer

·
Registered
591 Posts
Weps,
Call Carlisle at 800-827-1001 (They are here in South Carolina), ask for the warranty dept.. Speak with Mindy.. NO ONE ELSE !!!!!!
She seems to care. FWIW
They took good care of me. I had load range D bias ply tires, and allowed me to upgrade to load range E radials for just the difference in price. It turned out to be $16/tire. I blew 1 tire and wanted all of them replaced, and they did. I have blown several in the past, so I just said it was that reasoning, that I wanted all of them replaced..

I heard that Carlisle had some issues with being able to keep up with demand, and hired an overseas company to build some tires. They were all for shit, so it may be possible you have some of these????
Anyway, if you have a local rep/tire store, that Carlisle recognizes, then you should be in good shape...
Good luck, Ricky...seeya...

edit.. If you speak to them in a nice manner that will help out a lot!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Any reason why the radials vs. bias ply? I run load range E bias ply and I've not had any problems. I can't remember the brand though.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I was in the market for some trailer tires and was going to go with Carlise, but was warned. So, I went with Tow-Masters. Heard nothing but good about them.
Good luck!
Another thing...if you tow at high speeds...go with a radial. They hold up better.
Just my .02.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
bastard....

I would, but I'm not sure they are waterproof :flipoff2:

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Just wondering how old these tires are in terms of years?
How long do you let them sit in between uses?
If bias ply, do you dirve slowly for the first 20 minutes to let them de-flatspot, or do you just hit the freeway hammer down?
Do you cover the tires from the sun between uses?

I wonder why people are having 4 tire failures in one trip. I have never heard of such a thing with vehicle tires, but heard and read about it many times.

Sounds like they have reached the end of their useful life, and that life is very consistant, if not predictable, because they all give up at once. Something must be happening to the tires.

-tom

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All good questions. I don't want to sound like a jackass bitching about the tires, I guess I am really more disappointed that anything. The tires are less than 2 years old. The trailer sits outside, and (up until now) I do not cover the tires up when not in use. They were not checkered or dry rotted at all.
That they all failed at the same time does say something though, They were all bought new at the same time, and had until now to really delaminate. If I had been really overloading the thing I would not have been bummed out, but it was an easy haul.
Thanks for the company # and info, I will give them a call (and won't be a dick) :p so many companies now a days care right up until your check clears the bank :shaking: then you are on your own.

Does anyone recall the thread about the tire "gel" that rejuvinates? (not armor all) it was pretty in depth, about a year ago?

WEPS

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I thought I read once that brake fluid can be used as a cheap and effective tire protectant (UV).
True??

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I had one of my trailer tires fall apart just sitting in the driveway! We talked to a Tahoe dealer who Basically told Thor they were making a mistake putting those tires on their travel trailers. A buddy of mine had problems Carlisle sent him 4 replacement tires and had him ship the bad ones back at their cost, This travel trailer was less than a year old.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts