Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm to lazy or sleepless, not sure which one to do a post during the build. I like how a bunch of you do that but oh well, their's always the next project. Hell, I hardly even took any pics while working on mine

It's been 5 years since I got my jeep (and about 1.5 years since I've been online with any consistency) and I finally was able to save my pennies to put some D60's in. The entire month of June I spent everynight and weekend at my bro's shop (Koz Off Road) after I got done with my day job working on my Jeep right up until we left for the 4th of July @ Silver Lake....it should've been the month of May but my old truck didn't sell soon enough to get it done for Memorial weekend in Harlan.....good thing, read on.

I went with Currie Aluminum Rock Jocks, 5.13 gears on 39.5 TSLs....THANKS TO THE MUD CHUGGERS THAT PUT ON SNOW BLIND FOR THE $600 GIFT CERTIFICATE TO DISCOUNT TIRE!!!!! Also gotta put in props for Great Lakes Off Road, I won a set of his beadlocks down in Harlan, KY on Memorial weekend, that's a lot flippin bolts to put in them!!!!! The rear has a spool 35 spline, blah blah, and the front has an Eaton E-locker which is way awesome. On the front end we used Ford Superduty knuckles, hubs & brakes all 35 spline shafts with Rock & Roll Off Road full time plates (awesome chrome trucker chicks). All the control arms (upper & lower) are a 7000+ series solid Aluminum drilled & tapped, the rear is a triangulated 4-link and the front I went with a conventional 5 link (w/ track bar). Stretched the wheel base a little to 98" by pushing the rear axle back, relocating the upper coil towers and a new Aluminum Fuel Cell, the fuel cell allowed the stretch without putting it in the back (I like my back seat for my pooch). We also were able to make a 100% flat skid plate so I have some incredible ground clearance compared to before. Also set it up so the front control arms are plenty long that I can get a few inches more wheel base some day when I go to full-hydro steering.

And before I did my Cvwindows (Brent) did the same thing to his wife's Jeep so it gave me a nice template to cheat off of....hers is the black one.

Now it's time for some good wheeling tirps, badlands, kentucky, canada....

My Jeep

Mary's Jeep

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Looks good. Were you driving at snow blind or riding? I don't remember seeing your jeep up there, but there were quite a few.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I would like to know what tires she is running. Never seen em before, No flames:cool2:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
the safety contraption on our dog is just a harness for the dog (petsmart, petco or wherever has them), and I rigged up a ratchet strap and beaner clip around the roll cage to keep him in the jeep, it worked out awesome, just gotta get him some carpet so he doesn't slide around as much and to keep the heat from the exhaust going through the floor board much.

Johnny J, I was driving at snow blind, but like you said lots of jeeps up there, well worth the trip for me this year.

Mary's Jeep is setup 99% the exact same as mine with currie rock jocks, aluminum arms, cell, etc (or I gues I should say mine is setup 99% the same as hers). Like I said I did mine after hers so there a few things different, but hardly anything. Axles are 65" wide. KillerB was right, Pit Bull tires, but they were borrowed it now has 37" Krawlers with trail ready beadlocks. The pic of Mary on the rocks was from memorial weekend when we went to Harlan.

The hood I put on 2-3 years ago and was cheap when I did it so I'm going to be replacing the rubber on the inner fenders with steel....but I gotta let my wallet catch up before I do anything else (besides wheelin trips)
pics of the hood setup.

sorry pics are MIA now - Sept 2007

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Fawk that sits low, I like it!!! Any actual change to the wheelbase when the 60's went in??

What are the lower fender bars tied into? The frame???

-Joe

·
Registered
98 jeep TJ 609 axles
1,200 Posts
Very interested in details of your inner fenders. I also plan on using a Campbell hi-hood.
BTW, what springs are those, they look like Full Traction 4" or Pro Comp 4"?

Nice Jeep.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
GiS said:
Fawk that sits low, I like it!!! Any actual change to the wheelbase when the 60's went in??

What are the lower fender bars tied into? The frame???

-Joe
thanks, keeping it low was about the best thing we could've done, just gotta have a sawzall, plasma cutter or cut off wheel and you can fit just about any tire. Yah, wheel base is up to 98". Plan to move the front forward several inches when I go full hydro some day.

The rear fenders are just self tap screwed on for now because I'm going to put some trail corners on and wanted something to make it look 1/2 way decent until we get those done....this weekend hopefully.

The front is basically tied right back in where your factory fender would go on the tub & grill.....tieing it into the frame was an after thought that I've been getting to (3 years and counting). Just like getting around to replacing the rubber...kind of keep puting that off in hopes of sticking in some coilovers up front.

The springs are my good old worn out skyjacker 3.5" with 100k miles on them I just sand blasted em and painted em.

sorry, I don't really have any more pics of Mary's jeep....
Brent get off the couch and take some more pics of your wifes Jeep and post them up here!!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
are you going to back to harlan for the august run?i was the lost idiot in the green and black tj mem weekend.would love to see this thing in action.BTW looks great,i am afraid to ask the price of a currie center.i need one in the back.hope to see you and cvwindows in harlan later.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
injunkfords said:
are you going to back to harlan for the august run?i was the lost idiot in the green and black tj mem weekend.would love to see this thing in action.BTW looks great,i am afraid to ask the price of a currie center.i need one in the back.hope to see you and cvwindows in harlan later.
ah yes, I remember you...you didn't seem to be having a good weekend when we BSed, hope you found some good trails the next day. I'm not going in August, but I'm hoping to be going down Labor Day weekend, gotta see if that'll fly or not. It's an 11 hour drive for me so I gotta have a long weekend to head down there so I don't have to take to much time off work. Do you live in the area? The center section runs ~$1500 naked. I was going to just put a ford HP in the front and started playing with the numbers and decided it was worth biting the bullet for the front one too.

·
Registered
148 Posts
no i live in the very northeast corner of indiana.we did hook up with someone local down their on the last day and had a great time.that is when i realized i had been within yds of most of the good stuff.its around 9.5 hrs for me but i have 12 days off so we are planning to stay thurs,fri,sat,and sun.i have a high pinion front,my rear driveshaft angle sucks with the doubler set up i have,20'' rear shaft.maybe i will bite the bullet and buy a stack when winter hits.good talking to you again. later mel

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Well I guess I should post seemings I am being talked about:flipoff2: I have to say first that I was probably winching akozman when the rope was pulled:D . Second Yes it is my wifes jeep but she is hot and likes to wheel so who am I to complain:grinpimp: . Look for her in the next crawl mag on the Southern Shine Crawl in Harlan. I believe she is going to be in there. The new krawlers are 37" with trail ready beadlocks. I tried the 37 pitbulls and the 39 iroks. The pit bulls only measured 34.75" and the Iroks just did not hook up that well in the rocks so I ended up with the krawlers. They are not as good as my red labels on my buggy but they performed better than the other 2. The pit bulls worked well they were just to short. Mary's jeep is running 1" body and 3.5" rubicon coils.

·
Registered
823 Posts
what is it that you dont like about the rubber inner fender wheels seems like a easy way to enclose the engine bay when doing tube fenders

1 - 20 of 23 Posts