Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 487 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After wheeling for years towing a big fullsize around I decided to get something a little more road worthy. I started a family that will want a heater, A/C and reliability to go anywhere to a point.
Plans:
01 CC 2500HD w/6.0
79 HP60 Zip locker 4.88's
stock 14b grizzly locker 4.88's
37" Toyo m/t
Artec 3Link w/Truss
??? Coilovers
Shooting for less then 6"lift

Attachments

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got some frame plates from WFO and put a whole lot of 1/2 holes to weld to the frame. I also went ahead and moved the box 3" forward to help with pitman arm clearance.

Attachments

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cleaned the frame up and threw the axle under just for kicks with a 37' irok and I liked it:D.
I also tapped the box since it was loose and hanging there.
Next, I'm waiting for Artec links and truss to get here.

Attachments

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks good!
Thanks man, you need to post yours up when you get started.

Opened up the 241 to take a look and switched the front output to get the flange mounted instead of a yoke. I must say, I have never opened up a case before and this 241 is super simple.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Did you take care of the pumprub while you were in there?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fheww, I read that and thought I missed something about the 241 but glad I didn't have to do anything after all.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I like the triple wood block Jack stand you used in the front. Other than that looks like you've got a good start, keep us updated. I can attest to the quality of artec parts. It might take a while to get them though. I ordered stuff they said was in stock on the shelf, but it took them over a month to get them to me, then I had to wait an additional couple weeks to get some little things they had to make. Still have great products though, next time I'll be sure to order everything I want from them a couple months before I start my project.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like the triple wood block Jack stand you used in the front. Other than that looks like you've got a good start, keep us updated. I can attest to the quality of artec parts. It might take a while to get them though. I ordered stuff they said was in stock on the shelf, but it took them over a month to get them to me, then I had to wait an additional couple weeks to get some little things they had to make. Still have great products though, next time I'll be sure to order everything I want from them a couple months before I start my project.
Everyone mentions the blocks up front. I have full confidence I the stands alone but wanted to relieve the front of some weight. That's all it's there for. I actually took them out to make room.
I ordered stuff on memorial from artec and cLled yesterday. They said it should ship out today. Expecting 200lbs to come mon/tue. We'll see

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Everyone mentions the blocks up front. I have full confidence I the stands alone but wanted to relieve the front of some weight. That's all it's there for. I actually took them out to make room.
I ordered stuff on memorial from artec and cLled yesterday. They said it should ship out today. Expecting 200lbs to come mon/tue. We'll see
I saw the Jack stands in there too, but had to give you shit! If you check my thread you'll see how I did it, but I pretty much sased my truck alone. Worked many nights until 2 or 3 am. I couldn't justify my wife coming out there at 7 am finding me crushed because a Jack stand failed. I read a thread a while back where it actually happened to a guy,I believe it broke his back.
Anyway,I hope artec is telling you the truth, because they told me a number of times that is was going to ship in a couple days, but it still took a month. Sucked because I was in the exact same spot in my build as you when I ordered my stuff, so it stopped my build for a while...nothing I can do about it now, live and learn,I guess. Good luck!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
more progress:

Got the tire at full lock with the axle 2" forward. I should have some good clearance.
Pulled the junk tcase for the 241

Started the xmember today, got lots more work to it. I plan on integrating the Artec brackets into it, not just under it.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Are you using the trans cross member to hold your links as well? If I knew then what I know now, I would have built a new trans cross member, out of similar material that you are, and then built another cross member separate from the trans cross member to house the links. If you ever have to pull the trans, you're going to have to pull your lower links as well. Imo that will bring the suck. Plus you can utilize even longer links which will help suspension geometry.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
How long of a shock do you think you'll be able to fit? If you go coilovers that is.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How long of a shock do you think you'll be able to fit? If you go coilovers that is.
I do plan on making one complete xmember to hold trans and links as well. I know it will suck to have to drop the whole thing but I really don't plan on having to often. Trany goes then the shop can deal with that plus a 4l80e should last plenty long for me driving it as little as I will.

As for links length they should be around 40-42" and I'll run some 14" coilovers. I'm still very new to the link and coilover suspension and hope you and others could help me with spring weight and lengths.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I do plan on making one complete xmember to hold trans and links as well. I know it will suck to have to drop the whole thing but I really don't plan on having to often. Trany goes then the shop can deal with that plus a 4l80e should last plenty long for me driving it as little as I will.

As for links length they should be around 40-42" and I'll run some 14" coilovers. I'm still very new to the link and coilover suspension and hope you and others could help me with spring weight and lengths.
I think the first thing to do is decide what color you like, then you'll know what company to use for shocks lol! I may have been happier with a 10" long coilover, plenty of travel, and easier to package. Don't get me wrong,I like the fact that I have as much travel as I do, but simplifying things with a shorter shock would've made packaging much easier. I'm thinking your shock hoops are going to be too short if you're wanting to run a 14" travel shock. Just don't do anything with hoops until you get the geometry of the link system figured out, then you can mock up your shocks and see what you need for hoops. I'm also curious to see what you want for bump travel vs droop? That will be a determining factor in spring rates along with other things, like ride height, tire size, and of course, weight. There are lots of decisions to be made, and so far it seems as though you have some good ideas!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I completely agree about space ad making things fit easily. I'm not going for full on race bump and droop but road worthy characters. I think I can get 3-5 bump and not sure yet on droop. What would be a limiting factor for droop? Tie rod max angles?
The shock mounts are just a thought right now. I can easily mod them to gain what I need. So, it's all waiting on Artecs kit to get here

·
Registered
461 Posts
Just for reference, I'm running 16" radflos and my hoops go damn near as high as they can go in the engine bay while still keeping room for the cross brace and hood. Right now I'm at about 3-4" bump with about 12" down. I can't attest to the driving characteristics yet but I'm running 150/250 spring rates. With that being said and looking at your mount setup I'd say 12's would be about as high as you would want to go? Even with as tall as my hoops are I realistically could have gone with 14's.

1 - 20 of 487 Posts