Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup, did the searches, read the FAQs, did more searches, and then I searched again.

Just bought a couple 4Runners, '84 and '85. The '85 22RE, 5psd doesn't run- I'm suspecting timing- is has an ultra solid New Mexico body. The '84 22R, 5spd runs, but is a nasty rusted out POS Michigan truck.

I'm going to build the '85 and have some ideas what I want to do and spend, but I'm not certain what to do with the '84. I'm considering keeping the t-case and birfields and selling the rest to somebody looking for a SAS donor rig.

Would somebody please advise what parts would be wise to keep from the '84? These are my first Toyotas, everything I have learned about them has been from magazines and posts on this board. I've been searching threads for many, many days now. . .
and still didn't find the answers to my questions.

For those that want to know. . . '85 plans: rebuild 22RE with performance cam and blah blah blah, maybe 5" All Pro lift, Rear 5.29 welded, front ARB with Longfields, still debating regear t-case or use dual t-case, 36x12.50 TSL SX or 37x13.50 Baja Claws, and fender trimmin'.

Flame on!
:grinpimp:

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
IMO, keep anything off the 84 that works and won't flood your garage as future junk you will never need. Rear wondow motor, glass, doors (half doors), then part it out and/or sell it for a build up rig for someone else.

Go duals since you have the second case already.

I wouldn't however put a ton of cash into the 22RE with perf. parts. I wanted to, but didn't do to cash, and am glad I didn't. Seems that power gains are minimal to say the least.

Sounds like you are on the right track. Have fun.

EDIT: You searched for days and days but has been registered since.......today! jk :flipoff2:

·
Registered
322 Posts
[email protected]%*$k the Baja Claws. The radials are too small and the bias plys are too stiff. Go w/ the Swampers or some 37" Goodyear MTR's. Probably won't need to much body trimmin' w/
a 5" lift. You might think about moving the front axle foward 1-2"
or your tires will be stuffin' into the rear of the fender wells.
If your going to get into Toyotas, and you have the space,
you might as well keep every thing except the frame and body off of your parts truck.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, lurked for days. . . just registered today.

I'll keep the glass, didn't consider converting the other doors to half doors- until now. Rear door is missing.

I'm not interested in an engine swap, I just want stock power after the mods are done. If I get 150hp, that'll be plenty for me and my wheelin'.

Thanks for the info keep it comin'.

And for those that are about to ask. . . no, I'm not going to give you the '84.

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
I'm saying do an engine swap. Just trying to help ya save a few bucks on trying to squeze minimal extra HP out of the 22RE that will cost a lot IMO, but that's all your call.

Might want to sell some parts and buy an 86+ rear axle for the extra width....even better a wider 8" Tacoma axle with the e-locker :D Just another though.

Oh, you'll want an IFS steering box for crossover as well. ;)

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now, the golden question. . . which motor would you recommend?

I have no knowledge of other Toyota engine options, limited fabrication skills and basic handtools, so off the shelf kits would be a certainty for me.

If I could do a 4.3 swap for $1500 or under I'd go for it. Since I have limited knowledge of Toyota parts I'm skeptical of slapping a V8 in front of the stock drivetrain.

Been searching. . . "22RE Swap" "22RE 4.3 Swap" "4Runner Engine Swap" the posts aren't too encouraging for my bugdet and keepin the manual.

:p

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
Just rebuild the RE and run it untill you gain more knowledge, tools, skills, etc. It'll do just fine. My $0.02

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Yup! :D

I am not impressed with the Claws. The few times I've seen them work better than Swampers is insignificant compared to the many times I've seen them not work.

Of course, this is only my opinion...........:flipoff2:
The fact is I wouldn't run 'em if you gave 'em to me free.

·
Registered
13,838 Posts
You sound like you'll have a good setup. As for the engine there could be several different things. I would check the trouble codes before tearing it apart. Cold be clogged injectors, ECU, fuel pump, timing.... You also need to take into consideration if this truck will be your daily driver or not. If it is I would stay away from the soft compound tires. They will only last about 15-25,000 miles. The MTR's have a pretty weak sidewall and get torn into easily.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
keep the whole spare front axle for parts.... you might need more then birfs and those parts for the axle are almost no existant online...ppl sell the whole axle, never just a spindle...

maybe use the 22r from the 84(if it is late 84) and just though the 22re head and injection on that motor...

keep all the marker lights, tail lights, coil, everything that you can...and you will have plenty of parts for the future ;)

hey i have some 36" swampers forsale and some 6 lug wheels for them also, get ahold of me if you are interested in those.....

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just saw 2 4runners for sale from autotrader like the ones you described.If those are the ones you got & one is rust free you got a hell of a deal for $850 OBO.

Good luck on the build up

·
Registered
711 Posts
Bones said:
Just rebuild the RE and run it untill you gain more knowledge, tools, skills, etc. It'll do just fine. My $0.02
i aggree, i love my 22re swap from the 84 carb. ok power, good fuel mileage, well as best as it can get, header and exhaust. reliable..

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Make a buggy outta the rusty one and use the other as a DD

1 - 20 of 27 Posts