Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i was wondering if i had to stay with a 95 or later, or if i could go newer? the 95 and later are very pricey. any advice will be appreciated.

i dont have the truck yet, still have to go pick it up, but it has the 12v cummins, duelie. i dont think it has the pto, even if it did, dont need it.

thx

edit: in case it isnt clear, im askin bout a new auto tranny.

·
Banned
5,372 Posts
That year uses a hydraulic operated version, the 47rh. In 97 or 98 they switched to an electronically controlled setup, the 47re. You would a new PCM (or custom one) to control it.

I have heard of very few problems with the 47rh, even behind the Cummins.

You should have a factory aux cooler for it, but if the tranny is toast, the intergral cooler in the radiator, and/or the aux cooler could be clogged. I would have them tested for proper flow.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so u would have this one rebuilt?

could i use a 90-94, which r cheaper? the rebuild is upwards of $1200! and that is assuming nothing major is damaged.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
They all have problems, one of the biggest being that the torque converter is a POS. I would have it rebuilt. Try www.tdr1.com for all the Dodge/Cummins info you need; the $35 to post is well worth it, especially for a new/first time owner.

Pete

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
I know one regret i had was i took it inot a local shop, who screwed it up, then had a mopar rebuild put in. In hindsite i should have had a pro build up done. There is some shop out there at specializes in these trannys and builds a custom torque converter that lasts. Dont remember the name though, but i am sure it is on TDR

Garrett

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
ATS in Golden, Colorado.
They build the triple lock converters.

DTT is another well known name, they're somewhere in Canada.

Pete

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
How about a auto w/ od from my '90 3/4 ton 4x4 w/ a 205 behind it??? I will be parting it out here in a week or so. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts