Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prodigy is getting a big brother. Calling it the P3. Flat face front with four buttons for making all adjustments. Scrolling digital display will show a complete message for fault codes instead of a flashing code. Backlit display will have four user selectable colors. Should be out in early summer, no other info available yet.

Another auto slide 5th wheel hitch hitting the market this summer. Similar to the Pull-Rite Superglide hitch, HiJacker has developed an auto slide 5th wheel hitch that doesn't require anything to be added to the pin box of the trailer. This hitch is compatible with rails already installed in the bed of the truck, or it can be used with HiJacker's underbed mounting system. Pricing is way below the SuperGlide hitch, and the heigth of the head is adjustable.

Speaking of Pull-Rite's SuperGlide, they are working on a plate for the pinbox that won't require welding or bolting to the pin-box. 5 minute install on the plate instead of 1-2 hours. Design is still being worked on, nothing concrete yet, project may be scrapped if they can't make it work.

B&W fit list for Dodge trucks. Hitch number 1306 works for all Dodge trucks with the new tube frame. 1394 is the number for the last generation truck, 94-02. With Dodge's much stricter tow ratings coming soon, and the Mega Cab bed length issues, there was alot of confusion over this.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
FYRMAN said:
Prodigy is getting a big brother. Calling it the P3. Flat face front with four buttons for making all adjustments. Scrolling digital display will show a complete message for fault codes instead of a flashing code. Backlit display will have four user selectable colors. Should be out in early summer, no other info available yet.

Another auto slide 5th wheel hitch hitting the market this summer. Similar to the Pull-Rite Superglide hitch, HiJacker has developed an auto slide 5th wheel hitch that doesn't require anything to be added to the pin box of the trailer. This hitch is compatible with rails already installed in the bed of the truck, or it can be used with HiJacker's underbed mounting system. Pricing is way below the SuperGlide hitch, and the heigth of the head is adjustable.

Speaking of Pull-Rite's SuperGlide, they are working on a plate for the pinbox that won't require welding or bolting to the pin-box. 5 minute install on the plate instead of 1-2 hours. Design is still being worked on, nothing concrete yet, project may be scrapped if they can't make it work.

B&W fit list for Dodge trucks. Hitch number 1306 works for all Dodge trucks with the new tube frame. 1394 is the number for the last generation truck, 94-02. With Dodge's much stricter tow ratings coming soon, and the Mega Cab bed length issues, there was alot of confusion over this.
Yep, just installed a 1306 last Fri. on a 06 Dodge. It went together without any issues.

Hadn't heard about HiJackers hitch yet. Good to hear. I've always like the HiJacker line of products. Easy install and I haven't had a warrenty issue with any part of them yet.

Yeah, we had a rep by that was telling us about them making a improved Prodigy style controller. My questions where "Why?":confused: and then followed by "Well, then how much more is this one going to cost people?":eek: The rep didn't really have an answer for either question, but then again, he didn't know anything at all about the new controller, just knew that they were building one. Sounds like this one might be easier for people to scoll through options and setup.

Good info. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
"more strict tow ratings from Dodge??" spill please:)

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Prodigy: P3 Will work with electric over hydraulic brakes where the current Prodigy is not recommended for them (Tekonsha recommends the Primus for electric over hydraulic brakes currently). Pricing is going to be about $20-30 more.

Dodge: I can't spew the numbers off of the top of my head like our parts manager can, but you are limited to what you can tow unless you add air bags (even if using an EQ hitch), and further limited unless you add an exhaust brake. Also, be careful when choosing which hitch to put in the bed of the truck. Dodge is getting to be real bad about the size of the holes drilled in the frame, and their location.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
FYRMAN said:
Dodge: I can't spew the numbers off of the top of my head like our parts manager can, but you are limited to what you can tow unless you add air bags (even if using an EQ hitch), and further limited unless you add an exhaust brake. Also, be careful when choosing which hitch to put in the bed of the truck. Dodge is getting to be real bad about the size of the holes drilled in the frame, and their location.
All the more reason to use a good quality hitch that uses existing holes or u-bolts like B&W, Putnam, Valley, or any other company like that.

Dodge has been impossible to work with when it comes to putting flatbeds or bodies on the trucks since 03. I would say that 90% of the people that elected to have a flatbed or service body put on their Dodge trucks (from 03 thru 05) had their warrenties voided. Unless the customer has something in writing from Dodge saying that it is OK, we won't modify the trucks.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HiJacker has a kit in the works to use existing holes for their 5th wheel hitches.

Pull-Rite has had brackets to use existing holes for a while now.

You know, it's funny. When I was walking around the show floor I asked the hitch guys that were there about brackets using existing holes. I got mixed replies. Some say that drilling and bolting is a tried and true method of attachment that has worked for years. You ask the guys at Pull-Rite and B&W and they say they have no problems with using existing holes. Others say that there is so much slop between the bolt and existing holes that it works through the metal and causes tears in the frame. Some guys say that drilling a hole in the frame causes the frame to crack out unless drilled in a precise spot with the appropriate drilling method.

I don't know how they come up with their theories or instances that influence their decisions, but I have yet to see a case where any attachment method has caused problems.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
FYRMAN said:
I don't know how they come up with their theories or instances that influence their decisions, but I have yet to see a case where any attachment method has caused problems.
X2

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
There's a middle ground somewhere- I've seen plenty of booty fab by "fab shops" and then theres' the whole truck lowering crowd and their frame notching- I can understand the OEM's taking an interest. From an engineering standpoint there are right and wrong ways to go about a kit and places you prefer to put holes and places you prefer not to put holes.

I'll motor on with my 03 Ddoge, superglide and e-brake:)

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
dodge made an answer for that. They are now offerring a cab and chassis with flat frame rails.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/06ntea/

-ben

Trailer Guy said:
All the more reason to use a good quality hitch that uses existing holes or u-bolts like B&W, Putnam, Valley, or any other company like that.

Dodge has been impossible to work with when it comes to putting flatbeds or bodies on the trucks since 03. I would say that 90% of the people that elected to have a flatbed or service body put on their Dodge trucks (from 03 thru 05) had their warrenties voided. Unless the customer has something in writing from Dodge saying that it is OK, we won't modify the trucks.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
m016324 said:
dodge made an answer for that. They are now offerring a cab and chassis with flat frame rails.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/06ntea/

-ben
Just about all cab/chassis models have flat frames, but having a flat frame or a hump back frame isn't the issue. The problem is the tube frame. Dodge doesn't want you to drill their frames, NOT AT ALL. Plus, they always argued that by removing the bed, you changed the structure of the truck. For 06 they did come back with a cab/chassis model like they had up untell 03, but from what I understand, they still don't want you to remove a factory pick-up bed and add on a different style body to the standard trucks. From my point of view, Dodge has really taken themselves out of the commerical truck market, and Ford has taken advantage of that and really been able to up their sales in that area. Chevy seems to stand somewhere right in the middle. But hey, this is just what I see in my little corner of the world.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts